Looking for advice on Rovers / Mun Base Assemblers

I've been able to assemble quite a few space stations with no problem, so I understand the basics of creating smaller modules and lining things up with docking ports to assemble them. I've been trying to do the same for Mun bases and I've always run into problems. I was hoping for some advice on good designs for rovers and maybe even the base modules themselves that would allow me simple assembly.

Now I suppose I could just slap wheels on everything, rove parts around the Mun, and connect things on a whim, but I'm looking for something a little more sightly. I'd like to have docking parts on the ends of compartments, and be able to move/connect things with the rover being the only real "wheeled" device. If the base parts can be elevated on struts, even better.

But the main problems I'm running into are as follows:

1) Getting things to line up in Mun's gravity, versus Kerbin's. A Rover that I create and test with a docking port at a certain height on Kerbin doesn't seem to want to match up as nicely when I do it on the Mun. The wheels and lander legs all seem to sink to different heights depending on where you are.

2) Sliding things around on the ground without them breaking. Now I suppose the easiest way to alleviate Problem #1 is to just throw my docking port at the very bottom of everything. However, then I just have issues with the Rover/module dragging along the ground and breaking on things. Even when I get the Rover's body up off the ground, dragging the module itself seems to have issues as well, since there no wheels under the base to pull it along. Which leads to ...

3) I've tried designs where I make a "trailer" with a docking port facing up, that I can slide under a module elevated from landing struts and connect it from the bottom with wheels, but even that has issues. The biggest being, it's really difficult making a wheeled "trailer" that can actually fit two docking ports-worth of height under a module and not knock it over or be sturdy enough to support the load.

So, I'm just curious if anybody has good designs or concepts for their own rover base-assemblers, because mine aren't really doing the job. And please "Vanilla" suggestions only. :)

Edited by Excl

Only thing I can think of to offer is to might use a Klaw instead. I've heard attaching it then freeing the pivot allows it to act like a trailer of sorts. A lot easier than trying to line stuff up on the surface with docking ports.

Edited by Glaran K'erman

I tried claws in 1.0.x and they do work, but they have some kraken issues: I had times when the claw did not want to undock anymore or even worse.

However it does usually work.

You might want to try to give a kind of propulsion to every single module with a mix of rover wheels and landing gears to avoid sending a dedicated trailer.

Below the refueler/trailer I commonly use on Mun and a few other places. Usually all my "planetary modules" are wheeled and they have got their own claws to connect to their supposed "neighbours". So this simply goes around pulling/pushing things (better to pull than to push with this design) and drilling for resources if needed.

p47IPa1.png

Edited by Signo

Put legs and wheels on everything, with the legs raising the module slightly above the wheelbase. If two modules are out of docking line due to height, drop/raise the legs on the lower module and try to establish the dock while changing height. If your legs don't give enough height change, lock the suspension on them and try again.

Not perfect by any means, but it can work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.