Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

_Augustus_ said:
How does KG2 break the science archives?

the interface was there, but no stars/planets were listed.

_Augustus_ said:
And it should be pretty easy to get compatibility, just make your Kerbol moving script :FINAL and make patches to move some stars around and delete his Kerbol editing/dupe scripts.

yeah, probably doing that will be easy, but then I would need to account for everything that could interact with KG2. and people could have problems related to the two mods being installed together, and at the moment I want to focus on developing this mod.

I will start working on compatibility issues with other mods when the final version of this mod is ready. there's still plenty of work to do :wink:

Edited by Sigma88

So... which planet packs would you guys want to see implemented into Galactic Neighborhood?

Email me the link to the forum thread of the planet pack, you can e-mail me by clicking on my name here on the left side of this post :)

make sure the subject is "Galactic Neighborhood" because I'll be filtering the emails

I don't make any promises, but I will at least try to see if I can add the mods that are requested.

Do NOT ask for RSS or mods that rescale the stock system. I won't look at those now, maybe in the future.

Do NOT ask for mods that are not compatible with either KSP 1.0.4 or the latest release of Kopernicus

Cheers :)

May you PLEASE make a Kerbin-analogue fit for colonization. KGalaxy2 is fun and all, but there are no habitable planets.

I'm not going to model any planet for now, since it would take time from the basic mod and also I'm not that good at planet modelling :)

but the OPM system will have a copy of kerbin available for colonization :)

Plus I think there are planet packs that add habitable planets (maybe) when those will be compatible you will be able to go there too :D

Are you still taking requests on the thread? If so, I'd like to request New Horizons. Perhaps also Alternis Kerbol Reloaded.

yeah sure, I never looked into NH since I figured KillAshley would do that one :)

does alternis kerbol work well? I've never tried it and last time I checked Amarius told he didn't have much time for fixing it

If it works well I will see what I can do :)

Probably not, come to think of it; Super Tylo had stock surface gravity last time I checked. Probably should've thought first.

oh don't worry :)

I apreciate the interest ;)

I'm just trying to give priority to the mods that are already finished, so I don't have to go back add compatibility patches :D

The effects on the Algok system aren't showing up for me; is there any API I need installed?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the figure-eight system's behaving oddly for me. The orbit period seems to be a minute or two at most, and orbit lines are cutting into things. I'll grab a screenshot of the latter issue.

EDIT: Here ya go:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It might just be the new version of Kopernicus acting up.

Edited by Whovian

The effects on the Algok system aren't showing up for me; is there any API I need installed?

that effect is not in the current release because it needed a developmental version of kopernicus at the time I released it.

in the next release the effect will be there

Also, the figure-eight system's behaving oddly for me. The orbit period seems to be a minute or two at most, and orbit lines are cutting into things. I'll grab a screenshot of the latter issue.

the orbital period is so short because those are three white dwarfs the size of kerbin but with the mass of the sun :D

and for the black lines, those are the orbits needed to get the figure8.

I had to make them black because kopernicus doesn't support hiding orbits.

you'll need to harass thomas for that :D

Welp, I've got a fairly rudimentary New Horizons config working. License is Creative Commons, same as Galactic Neighborhood and New Horizons. It's not particularly good (it just works with NH to replace the stock system with the NH system), but hopefully it'll hold out until if/when a better one's released.

Link

@Whovian I'm going to put in a NH .cfg for this into the next NH release. The NH planets will be orbiting their own star and be untangled from the stock system, this makes compatibility with everything extremely easy :wink:

The reason they will be removed from being joined with stock as this is something we are trying to do with this mod: Keeping the stock system completely stock, and this is something I want to keep for Sigms88's vision.

I like this one. It is a much better version of star system mod. I hope distances between stars is rescaled from realistc numbers. That way, the only way to reach them will be warp drive. We have some versions of warp engines in mods already. 1 light year is equal to 63240 au (distant from earth to sun). with this result closest start to kerbol should be around 860bilion km away. I am not sure if its possible in the game tough :)

The closest star is currently at ~5billion km

It still requires some kind of ftl travel to get there in a reasonable time frame

That's just about pluto's semi major axis though :)

I am thinking NFP should totally allow this in less than a decade if you bring enough fuel.

That's just about pluto's semi major axis though :)

I am thinking NFP should totally allow this in less than a decade if you bring enough fuel.

I just eyeballed it for now, maybe in the future I'll tweak the distances depending on which feedback I receive :)

I'm more interested in making the mod a good experience rather than making it as realistic as possible.

I just eyeballed it for now, maybe in the future I'll tweak the distances depending on which feedback I receive :)

I'm more interested in making the mod a good experience rather than making it as realistic as possible.

The Kerbol system itself doesn't exactly adhere to the strictest scientific standards, so no worries there ;) Gameplay wise, it is probably good as it is for most people.

If it forces the use of warp engine rather than crazy amount of deltaV that is very nice. I am not looking for realism but just a sense of interstellar travel.

well, escaping the sun with a 15km/s manouvre gave me an encounter with another star. but the time required to get there was absurd.

like 700-800 kerbal years, and KSP can't count time past ~270 years so that wouldn't be a feasible way of travel

Of course if you build a craft with enough fuel and enough thrust you can go everywhere, but that would require riddiculus part count :)

The closest star is currently at ~5billion km

It still requires some kind of ftl travel to get there in a reasonable time frame

I don't think FTL should be an requirment. engines with High enough ISP, like the fission fragment rockets, a.k.a Dusty Plasma engine, allows you to reach very high sub light speed without resorthing to highly speculative FTL drives.

- - - Updated - - -

well, escaping the sun with a 15km/s manouvre gave me an encounter with another star. but the time required to get there was absurd.

like 700-800 kerbal years, and KSP can't count time past ~270 years so that wouldn't be a feasible way of travel

Of course if you build a craft with enough fuel and enough thrust you can go everywhere, but that would require riddiculus part count :)

No you just need to be able to accelerate durring warp with a very High Isp engine, this should allow to reach very high speed instead of just coasting and will shorten the travel times to a few years at most (at KSP scale)

I don't think FTL should be an requirment. engines with High enough ISP, like the fission fragment rockets, a.k.a Dusty Plasma engine, allows you to reach very high sub light speed without resorthing to highly speculative FTL drives.

yeah, sure. I meant that you will need something designed specifically for interstellar travel.

The actual mechanic doesn't concern me. :)

"FTL" is shorter to write than "designed specifically for interstellar travel" :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.