Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

4 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

oDdmZ6R.jpg

HR Diagram of the stars in this mod. Approximate. You'll notice the "Sun Blob" of objects that are very similar to the Sun, as well as the strange absence of red main sequence stars compared to more luminous types. So if you're looking to get your mod added to this, do consider having it put 'round a K or M dwarf star. (Note that SLIPPIST-1 and Holy Light are not released yet, they are my own mods. Also, OtherWorlds and Keridani System are not represented. They would both by K main sequence stars.

Edited 4 hours ago by GregroxMun

Niiice. Can you make Alexandris more of a M dwarf star?

Edited by amarius1

2 hours ago, amarius1 said:

Niiice. Can you make Alexandris more of a M dwarf star?

sure, if you have an analogue in mind send me the name/wiki page / whatever page you have with its description

not sure how much it will take to get the next release out tho :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2017 at 8:48 PM, amarius1 said:

Lalande 21185?

Also... Damn Boris is still around? I remember that mod since the first Planet Factory days!

that's ok, as soon as I get some time to work on GN again I'll make sure to add that :)

It's possible that I will start working on GN again after finishing the stuff I'm currently doing for SASS

also, @GregroxMun came up with a really cool way to get stars that are very nice, and are consistent with real life stars, so I am trying to bribe him to join GN so we can finally get some better stars.

not that the current ones are bad, but they are definitely an under-developed aspect of GN

Here's how a Galactic Neighborhood Star Revamp will work.

Sigma has stated he wants to keep the stars scaled against the absurd stock sun, which is not my favorite idea at all, but eh.

I have a config which isn't ready for release that can take the mass of a star and find out its radius, temperature, luminosity, and from temperature a scientifically accurate color.

8LDOrK3.pngy7yrmC7.png

M8V, M6V.

1fXvavi.pngcqZ0xGW.png

B5V, M6III.

KDSLW9K.pngOkUCFd0.png

Alpha Centauri B (K2V iirc) (a Cen A in background) with better lens flare scaling. They're now visible from many AU away without being too bright or invisible. Also, Proxima looking at a cen A and B.

Coronas are not finished, you'll notice that not all of them have coronas yet.

So we'll define star radius and mass as normal in relative units, but now we also define surface temperature manually in Kelvin. This is run through the Temperature-Color Generator and output as light color and surface colors. For main sequence stars, one of three sunspot textures are chosen: Big sunspots (M, Late-K), Medium sunspots (K, G, F), and small sunspots (ABO). No sunspots will be used for white dwarfs, neutron stars, and Giants. Giants will instead gain procedural PQSMods to give them unique bubbly (convection cell) surfaces that are based upon their radius and temperature. Their PQSMods are exported into a heightmap which is then inverted and used as the sunspot texture, which will give them the darker red lighting in the deeper regions. There will be 6 coronas. Orange-yellow (M, Late-K), Yellow-white (M, G), White-blue (F, A, B), and blue (O).

The stars are defined to be realistic at 1/10 scale. However, after I finish my work, this will be turned into an optional mode and the default version will be modifed by Sigma into kerbalized versions of the stars. (Scaled against Kerbol, G-type yellow stars are actually yellow.)

38 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Sigma has stated he wants to keep the stars scaled against the absurd stock sun, which is not my favorite idea at all, but eh.

welcome to the team greg :)

we'll work on having a custom parameter to give realisting stars so purists will be happy and also those who wants a galaxy which is consistent with the stock system :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I misunderstand how adding stars in this mod works, but will the default star textures and lighting be those from the original planet packs? Some artists look like they go through a lot of effort to get awesome lighting.

3 hours ago, ev0 said:

Sorry if I misunderstand how adding stars in this mod works, but will the default star textures and lighting be those from the original planet packs? Some artists look like they go through a lot of effort to get awesome lighting.

it depends on which mod you choose, for some I use that mod star, for some I create a new one.

before adding a mod to GN I always ask the devs so they can choose the type of star and name, so I assume all of them are ok with the star they get in GN

• 2 weeks later...

Kopernicus 1.3.0-3 broke compatibility with SD/SB/GN/SASS

please use 1.3.0-2 with my mods, or don't use my mods if you want to upgrade to latest kopernicus

Kopernicus 1.3.0-3 broke compatibility with SD/SB/GN/SASS

please use 1.3.0-2 with my mods, or don't use my mods if you want to upgrade to latest kopernicus

Since I am working on GalacticNeighborhood right now, it's the perfect time to add some more planetary goodness to the mod.

if anyone wants to propose some planet packs, please let me know which ones you want to see added so that I can start looking at those as well

2 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I have made this table to show how many stars there are in GN, and how they are divided into the various types:

Galactic Neighborhood Star Census

This might help to choose new stars that are not identical to others in the neighborhood

It's like a Hertzsprung-Russel Diagram, just turned on it's side. It'd be great if it was turned right side up so it looks like a H-R (but with a text table that's far too much work).

There is an inordinate amount of dwarf stars. What is it about dwarf stars that makes them so popular? They're small and nonradioactive?

29 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

It's like a Hertzsprung-Russel Diagram, just turned on it's side. It'd be great if it was turned right side up so it looks like a H-R (but with a text table that's far too much work).

There is an inordinate amount of dwarf stars. What is it about dwarf stars that makes them so popular? They're small and nonradioactive?

I plan to generate a HR diagram as well :)

I usually let devs choose which type of star they want. Most want main sequence stars for some reason

With an abnormal number of G dwarfs

Well, then again, Sol (sun) is a G-dwarf (you didn't have a category for middle-sized star, forcing them to choose between dwarf and giant), so people think G-dwarves are more habitable than others. Which is sort of true, as they are stable and afford wide habitable zones, but you can place a good planet around any star, really.

48 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Well, then again, Sol (sun) is a G-dwarf (you didn't have a category for middle-sized star, forcing them to choose between dwarf and giant), so people think G-dwarves are more habitable than others. Which is sort of true, as they are stable and afford wide habitable zones, but you can place a good planet around any star, really.

They can choose literally any real star and I will use it as analogue.

Only one choose a giant, only one choose a white dwarf.

People seem to be obsessed with sun-like stars for some reason

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2017 at 9:48 AM, Sigma88 said:

They can choose literally any real star and I will use it as analogue.

Only one choose a giant, only one choose a white dwarf.

People seem to be obsessed with sun-like stars for some reason

For those of us who aren't obsessed with yellow and red dwarf stars I happened to whip up something pretty interesting. And there will be more of the same.

10 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

For those of us who aren't obsessed with yellow and red dwarf stars I happened to whip up something pretty interesting. And there will be more of the same.

that's very cool, if only you posted about it a month ago I wouldn't have had to make my own flares for GN :D

now I have everything ready to release with GN, but once I have released it I will look into your stuff and if it's better I'll consider making it a dependency :wink:

Galactic Neighborhood v0.4.0

Big overhaul, thanks to @GregroxMun joining the team stars finally get some love.

All stars are now procedurally generated by GN using mass radius and temperature, all stars have real life analogues that are listed in the OP.

A new Settings.cfg file has been added with two settings off by default:

- LoadAllStars will make GN generate all stars regardless of which planet pack is installed
- RealisticStars will generate stars that are more similar to real life stars (except with 1/10 radius and 1/100 mass)

all the links are available in the OP

If you want to follow the development of my mods:  Sigma88Mods&style=social

If you want to buy me a cup of coffee:  iSFDI5f.png r8916yD.png

Changelog:

**v0.4.0**

- Updated to KSP 1.3.0 and Kopernicus 1.3.0-4
- Star generation is now completely handled by GN
- Stars are now procedurally generated from mass, radius and temperature
- Added custom parameters for white dwarfs, brown dwarfs and red giants
- Changed brightness curve for all stars
- Added SunFlareSwitcher to allow for multiple custom sunflares
- Added GNCoronae to handle custom star coronae
- Rearranged internal folder structure
- Added parameter to allow generation of all stars regardless of planet packs
- Changed names of planets from Alternis Kerbol
- Changed star analogues for some packs
- Added a Settings file and two Settings:
    > LoadAllStars (off by default)
    > RealisticStars (off by default)

Edited by Sigma88

@Sigma88 I'm loving the liberties you took with some planet packs. :) Like Gameslinx getting a <REDACTED> star. I must download some of these things and see up-close. In the meantime here's a DL link for my stuff. I've updated my thread with previews for theme #2. The configs I mentioned there are included but untested beyond dwarf and medium size. And their ghost settings will eventually change.

Any feedback is much welcome.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.