LiquidHype's Real Scale Launch Vehicles (RETIRED)

liquidhype

Which launch vehicle would you like to see next?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Which launch vehicle would you like to see next?

• Titan IV (A & B)
    • Ariane 4 (All configurations)
    • ULA Vulcan
    • Other (specify in the comments)

Well the only mod that has all the european launchers is Yogui87s European Historical pack. Problem is, none of Yogui87s Lionhead mods have been updated since 0.25. I'd be happy to maintain them. They are easy enough to update, seeing as most Lionhead mods are parts packs, which only needs minor re-balancing, node flipping and configuring the different engines.

That's be neat! You should message him. I already have an updated Probes pack that MeCripp provided me with, but you'd have to talk to him about that.

No worries about that though, I think it's rather see these rockets done! Real scale rockets are always neat. Gives you a perspective of how small KSP really is.

That's be neat! You should message him. I already have an updated Probes pack that MeCripp provided me with, but you'd have to talk to him about that.

No worries about that though, I think it's rather see these rockets done! Real scale rockets are always neat. Gives you a perspective of how small KSP really is.

Yes I could message Yogui87, and maybe I'll do that later on :) For now I'll just add optional configs for my launchers that will balance them for the stock game. They'll all still have their real sizes, but fuel, thrust and ISP will have to be rebalanced. I'll have the stock configs ready by today sometime.

ETC is short for Engine Thrust Controller and is basically a plugin that adjusts/controls the thrust limiter of solid rocket boosters as their fuel decreases. It is not a good thing to have the SRBs going at full power whilst the fuel is running out. That will lead to the TWR getting way to high and is not realistic. ETC is extremely useful as times, hence why I am working on configuring my launchers for this mod.

Ok, in fact i have yet ETC so! :P

here is the default thrust curve (to multiply by the thrust affected by altitude if i understand):

qPJnrGX.png

however, for ariane 5 after the hole for the maximum dynamic pressure the thrust going back higher a bit (thrust; time):

pousseeeap.jpg

i've seen a better curve a bit different with a yellow background, but impossible to find it again on the net, if you have it please call me,

the EAP (SRB) also have a 6° gimbal nozzle.

Edited by Skalou

Glad you think so!

If you ever get around to it, the Minotaur spacecraft from ETS would be cool. Also the Europa rockets (1 through 2 along with the 3 through 5 from ETS).

http://i.imgur.com/wyiGs6y.jpghttp://wiki.alternatehistory.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/timelines/europa.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/8014762223_2f949f5158_c.jpghttp://wiki.alternatehistory.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/timelines/high_5.png

Great reference material! These fit right in with my mod, as I am mostly making launchers and craft that has not already been made for KSP.

I'll need to finish my Delta III and Vulcan rockets first before I move on to anything else. But thank you for all the inspirational images :)

Great reference material! These fit right in with my mod, as I am mostly making launchers and craft that has not already been made for KSP.

I'll need to finish my Delta III and Vulcan rockets first before I move on to anything else. But thank you for all the inspirational images :)

There's way more here. Vulkan and Carrack are the only expendable launch systems that aren't based off another rocket. Longxing and Artemis/Orion landers are also pretty neat.

There's way more here. Vulkan and Carrack are the only expendable launch systems that aren't based off another rocket. Longxing and Artemis/Orion landers are also pretty neat.

Well with your latest post here, I won't run out of ideas any time soon!

I thought Europa 5 was cancelled?
Doesn't matter. With the imagination KSP players have, I'm sure they'd find a use for any launcher that were to be made, either by me or anyone else.
oh no no I know it was a question I had.....
Europa 1 & 2 were built and flown, 3 was almost built but cancelled, 4 was designed, and 5 was made up by the ETS community.

Carrack is made up, Neva is clearly based off R-7 evolution designs, IDK what Vulkan is from but it uses 3 RD-180-derived engines in the first stage.

It did cross my mind while I was making Ariane 6, but I didn't get around to it. Maybe later on :) It would be interesting to have it in the game.
Agreed, though personally I find flyback boosters hard in KSP, as you can't control the flyback portion and the payload at the same time so generally you lose either the payload or lower stage.

Agreed, though personally I find flyback boosters hard in KSP, as you can't control the flyback portion and the payload at the same time so generally you lose either the payload or lower stage.

Yea, but with the right launch profile you could detatch the engine and tab over to the upper stage and get its Ap high enough that you have enough time to tab back to the engine and fly it back. Thats what I do when I play around with the SpaceX mod anyway.

Yea, but with the right launch profile you could detatch the engine and tab over to the upper stage and get its Ap high enough that you have enough time to tab back to the engine and fly it back. Thats what I do when I play around with the SpaceX mod anyway.
Really? I can't even land my flyback stages, even with MechJeb. Why don't they just use chutes IRL?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.