KSP or Minecraft?

cutlercollin99

KSP or Minecraft  

113 members have voted

1. 1. KSP or Minecraft

You say that like Minecraft ever needed to be online :D

Survival games are, almost without exception, better with friends. If two or more friends cannot be on at the same time for whatever reason, or want to interact with other random people on the internet (at their own risk) the dedicated server becomes a necessary component of that equation. THe downside however is with any PvP survival game, the presence of the dedi server creates PvO (player vs offline). The more challenging the PvP, the more PvO takes place. (good example: ARK survival evolved)

That's like asking what's better, chicken or steak. Except steak is clearly the correct answer.

Let me start again.

The two games are way to different for one to be better than the other. Also, by the time I'd found out about KSP I was burned out on Minecraft. I don't know how they'd have stacked up if I came across them at the same time.

Survival games are, almost without exception, better with friends. If two or more friends cannot be on at the same time for whatever reason, or want to interact with other random people on the internet (at their own risk) the dedicated server becomes a necessary component of that equation. THe downside however is with any PvP survival game, the presence of the dedi server creates PvO (player vs offline). The more challenging the PvP, the more PvO takes place. (good example: ARK survival evolved)

SP is fine for me, though the occasional co-op is nice too. I dislike that everything fun somehow has to be tied into the online and cloud movement. Some things are very good when savoured, explored one step at a time, at your own pace and leisure.

Edited by Camacha

Minecraft. There's a creative server I've been playing on since September 2012, and am going to play on it for the entire foreseeable future. My favorite thing about the server is that it's one of ten servers that hasn't been infected with either the Minigame Virus or the Survival Games virus. But, my favorite game in general is Trainz Simulator 12.

Edited by UnionPacific1983WP

That's like asking what's better, chicken or steak. Except steak is clearly the correct answer.

Blasphemy! Chicken-Fried Steak is the holiest of holies, One of the greatest Modern Miracles ever to be wrought by human hands.

IMHO Minecraft became too bloated to be useful, and it's kind of a no-brainer unless you have architectural tendencies. Also, many kids play minecraft, which more often than not spoils the fun on servers with griefing.

KSP is much more refined in my opinion, and requires some brain to play. Missing multiplayer (in stock) might be a pain and prevents PvP. And it's more expensive, I'm not so sure about its bang-for-the-buck ratio any more, now that it's €40.

Just take your pick...

Of the two, KSP. The game I'm playing most right now is Dwarf Fortress, which is the second best free software ever...

Excuse me for asking, and sorry if you're ticked by this, but how insane are you to recognize all those colored ASCII characters as a world? I've tried DF a few times and every time, right around 10 minutes in, just after I give up trying to figure the thing out, I get a splitting headache from the interface and just delete the thing. Whenever I try to read the "How-To" guides on how to "work" the game I can never understand what they're writing; The information's so deep and dense as to be almost unintelligible. I want to like Dwarf Fortress but whenever I summon myself to the sacrifice I can never find it in myself to like it.

...KSP is much more refined in my opinion, and requires some brain to play. Missing multiplayer (in stock) might be a pain and prevents PvP. And it's more expensive, I'm not so sure about its bang-for-the-buck ratio any more, now that it's €40...

$45!? I bought it when it was $17! But, then again, I remember when a gallon of gas was about a buck a gallon. Where did the time go...

Edited by Flymetothemun

IMO they're both good.

However, they both have their drawbacks: KSP is a poor build-structures-out-of-cubes game, and Minecraft is a poor manage-your-own-space-program game.

Hope this helps.

Excuse me for asking, and sorry if you're ticked by this, but how insane are you to recognize all those colored ASCII characters as a world? I've tried DF a few times and every time, right around 10 minutes in, just after I give up trying to figure the thing out, I get a splitting headache from the interface and just delete the thing. Whenever I try to read the "How-To" guides on how to "work" the game I can never understand what they're writing; The information's so deep and dense as to be almost unintelligible. I want to like Dwarf Fortress but whenever I summon myself to the sacrifice I can never find it in myself to like it.

I'm not ticked at all, I guess I just find it easier to use. There are two factors that might cause DF to be impossible for you, A) do you have a full size keyboard? I find a numpad to be almost essential. B) do you have a large monitor? I have a large monitor and am able to scale the font up to be able to see things easier.

Back on topic. What about modded Minecraft?

The developers are total jerks. Promised us official modding support years ago, did not even work on it at all, and just give us some awful "bountiful" update with pathetic textures every 250 days.

Grid_Spruce_Door.png?version=8f24132a29890e834f0323a071aaf0e0

Like seriously, how does something like this fit into the game. It looks effortless. And before you ask, yes, I could do better.

Plus, the game would be pretty dead already if it weren't for hyperactive youtubers and the modding community.

Edited by Kinglet

I'm not ticked at all, I guess I just find it easier to use. There are two factors that might cause DF to be impossible for you, A) do you have a full size keyboard? I find a numpad to be almost essential. B) do you have a large monitor? I have a large monitor and am able to scale the font up to be able to see things easier.

Back on topic. What about modded Minecraft?

I've got a numpad and a decent-size monitor (17.5" on the diagonal, 1600*900). But how do you make the font bigger? When I expand the window all it does is make everything more spaced out, not bigger. I'd probably not get a headache if the font were bigger, and I might actually be able to see an intelligible world and not just a collection of colored characters.

DFWindowComparison.png
Edited by Flymetothemun

I've got a numpad and a decent-size monitor (17.5" on the diagonal, 1600*900). But how do you make the font bigger? When I expand the window all it does is make everything more spaced out, not bigger. I'd probably not get a headache if the font were bigger, and I might actually be able to see an intelligible world and not just a collection of colored characters.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pmjPJDQjWWE/VbaQpBvcO3I/AAAAAAAAApw/S1vVtxvtQUE/s1152-Ic42/DFWindowComparison.png

For me it's the mouse wheel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.