[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 8:22 PM, Duski said:

Hey @Shadowmage, are you planning on adding extra spacecraft to this mod? If you are could you please do a Dragon 2? There's the Tundra Exploration one, but it seems bit too stock-alike for my taste. I reckon you do an excellent job at making one of these. :)

Eventually yes, Dragon and Dragon-2 capsules (and SM's) will be made.  As to when... who knows, I have so much stuff planned, trying to figure out when to do anything specific is hard; will mostly come down to if/when I find myself needing it in my games.

More work on DSP-ISS and blanket style panels.  Have a decent UV unwrap for the parts, left a fair bit of room for other blanket style panels.  Will likely be making use of AO switching with these so that I can re-use some of the same geometry and still get decent shading on the other parts. 

Have not yet started working on the multi-panel/multi-axis truss structure, though I'm thinking its going to end up being a pretty simple setup; mostly it will be the existing 3-part cylindrical portion with optional adapters.  I won't be including any actual 'truss' bits myself, those will have to be added as adapters through patches for other mods' models.  May do some trusses in the future, but for now I'm going to keep it simple.

Preview of the DSP-ISS with unwrap, bake, and first-pass textures (mostly flat coloring, no spec/nrm yet):

R6RHwzJ.png

Stowed:

GfhRJPG.png

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

Eventually yes, Dragon and Dragon-2 capsules (and SM's) will be made.  As to when... who knows, I have so much stuff planned, trying to figure out when to do anything specific is hard; will mostly come down to if/when I find myself needing it in my games.

More work on DSP-ISS and blanket style panels.  Have a decent UV unwrap for the parts, left a fair bit of room for other blanket style panels.  Will likely be making use of AO switching with these so that I can re-use some of the same geometry and still get decent shading on the other parts. 

Have not yet started working on the multi-panel/multi-axis truss structure, though I'm thinking its going to end up being a pretty simple setup; mostly it will be the existing 3-part cylindrical portion with optional adapters.  I won't be including any actual 'truss' bits myself, those will have to be added as adapters through patches for other mods' models.  May do some trusses in the future, but for now I'm going to keep it simple.

Preview of the DSP-ISS with unwrap, bake, and first-pass textures (mostly flat coloring, no spec/nrm yet):

Stowed:

Neato, how are you folding that up? Skinned meshes?

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

I know that feel, bro.

37249722.jpg

I've been trying to inflate a HAB-C on a base that I built, but it required 11 tons of the resource "Rocket Parts" which are unobtainable. To bypass this requirement, do I just comment out the resource definition under the module SSTUInflatable in the ST-HAB-A cfg file?

19 hours ago, Nertea said:

Neato, how are you folding that up? Skinned meshes?

Rigid parts use rotation/translation, and the panels and central truss use scaling.  I set the panels animation up in such a way to maintain a relatively constant edge-length on the panels during the scaling so it 'looks' like they unfold.  Never had much luck with skinned meshes, but I've only dabbled in them briefly.

5 minutes ago, KAO said:

I've been trying to inflate a HAB-C on a base that I built, but it required 11 tons of the resource "Rocket Parts" which are unobtainable. To bypass this requirement, do I just comment out the resource definition under the module SSTUInflatable in the ST-HAB-A cfg file?

RocketParts should be available in the SSTU MFT fuel tanks.  Otherwise, you can remove the patch the SSTU-HAB part files to adjust the SSTUInflatble module, setting its 'inflationMass' property to zero.

In the future this mechanic will be expanded out to other parts as a form of 'in-situ' construction.  The current implementation is pretty bare-bones, just enough to fill the requirements for testing the inflatable modules.

On 9/21/2016 at 5:57 AM, tater said:

Excellent! We're almost at a dream retrofuture:

bonestell_von_braun_colliers_1950s_moonl

Actually, that picture has in it some interesting tech that sufficiently motivated persons could mod into KSP. The object opposite the comms dish is something they were messing with before photovoltaics became all the rage. It's the reflector for a Solar Turbine, a closed cycle device that heated operating fluid in a reflector, passed it through a generator, than through a radiator to cool it.

Yesterday was spent working on the new/proper geometry for the Modular Solar Truss part.  Going to be changing substantially from how the part is currently setup -- the 'core' will consist of nothing more than the gimbal/bearing assembly, with the rest of the part being the optional adapters.  It will be 1.875m in diameter, and support up to 2.5m diameter adapters/trusses without visible clipping.

On that note I also spent some time yesterday creating a set of configs to MFT-ize the NearFuture OctoTruss parts.  This consisted of setting up ModelData definitions for each of the model variants and creating a new Part config to utilize the models.  The result is a new part (name undetermined) that uses the NF truss models but allows for rescaling, all while supporting the many different body-variants that the trusses have (though resources are not locked to a specific variant; e.g. the electric model need not contain any EC).  Sadly only a single size truss adapter exists (truss->2.5m), so that is all that is available for the part.

What this all means is that I will not be making any trusses of my own in the immediate future, the 'Solar Truss' part will come with some simple adapters for the 'stock' SSTU install, and the Near-Future truss adapters will be added through a patch whenever NF-C is installed.

Will be spending a bit of time today/this evening checking on the status of the KSPWheel project.  Have been procrastinating on it a bit... but need to spend a bit of time on it to see if things will even be workable.  As usual you can follow those developments in the Kerbal Foundries thread.  Will post an update later this evening after I know a bit more.

Did a bit of play-testing yesterday on the 1.2-pre-release career mode.  Everything tested seems to be working -- engines, fuel tanks, parachutes, heat-shields, part-upgrades.  Definitely going to need to do a bit of career-mode balancing on things though as I found it almost too easy progressing through the first couple launches (orbit on launch #2 with only the 5-science nodes unlocked?);  it seems that a max-length MFT tank + Merlin-1A makes a good SSTO for a Mk1 pod.  Not really sure of anything that could be done for it though, as the same thing could likely be done with the stock fuel tanks and LV-T45 engine (though would require stacking obscene #'s of the tiny stock tanks).  Either way, something to keep in mind for balancing passes in the future.

Career is always going to be wonky in SSTU, because of "low part count solutions." The early game is very much part limited as the sole difficulty hurdle. I suppose you could use higher price as a balance, and engines like Merlin could appear later in the tree as they are modern engines, after all, not late 50s---early 60s tech. This might force some stock parts early on, past the usual mk1 pod I end up using.

On 27/09/2016 at 3:44 AM, Shadowmage said:

Hurray Dragon 2 atlast! Will be pumped when this comes out. :DD

13 minutes ago, jarraya said:

I'm keen to pick up this mod before 1.2. I'm currently running RO+RP-0 and have a save with some good progress.  Does anyone know if this mod works with 1.1.3 + RO + RP-0 AND won't break my save?  Much appreciated!

RO is not supported, though I think there are people here who have messed with it. Once 1.2 is out with RSS/RO and SSTU is out as well for 1.2, I'm going to try RSS/RO again, and will see what is required to make it work.

52 minutes ago, jarraya said:

I'm keen to pick up this mod before 1.2. I'm currently running RO+RP-0 and have a save with some good progress.  Does anyone know if this mod works with 1.1.3 + RO + RP-0 AND won't break my save?  Much appreciated!

Work with RO -- mostly; there is a patch set included with RO but it is likely quite out of date.

Work with FAR -- nope.  If you are using FAR, you cannot use SSTU parts (problem with FAR, PR submitted, but awaiting merging and an updated release).

Break save -- Probably not.  I don't alter any other parts or game mechanics, only add new parts.

RP-0 -- No clue on that one, others probably would know more.

13 hours ago, Duski said:

Hurray Dragon 2 atlast! Will be pumped when this comes out. :DD

Not really 'at last', but more of a 'likely to be done eventually'.  It may well be 6 months or more before I get to it.  Could also be sooner... really won't know until I get there.

3 hours ago, Nerfclasher said:

@Shadowmage are you going to make what  Spacex announced yesterday?

No idea there was even an announcement, or what was announced... so... no, no plans have changed.  (Hint:  Including links to whatever you are referencing is often helpful :) )

2 hours ago, Nerfclasher said:

@Shadowmage here is what I was referring to http://www.spacex.com/mars

Interesting... I was wondering when they'de get serious with their Mars plans.  Seems like they are almost there.

Will I be doing parts based on those concepts?  Not right now... I'll let them develop and refine them a bit further; already have far too many things planned to try and fit yet-more-parts into the schedule.  Will take another look at the concepts after a bit of my work/backlog has been cleaned up.

Simplified prototype Modular Solar Truss core geometry (with not much truss to it...).  Hand-holds/ladders are there just for a bit of greeble... nothing is finalized yet.  I'm not quite happy with this geometry, but really have no idea of any other way to do it.  I tried doing a more 'truss' like setup but couldn't find any truss arrangements that didn't look absurd... so settled on a solid piece of geometry.  Unsure how I'll be texturing this bit; may try and re-use some existing texture if I can find one appropriate (fuel tanks perhaps?).

mvPeI3I.png

I -will- be creating some round skeletal adapters though, so that the 'solar truss' pieces can have some sort of truss to them in the stock SSTU install (using the MCB-B full-surround cargo bay models posted last week).

After I get these solar parts on to the next step I can finally start working on what I'm sure quite a few of you have been waiting for -- the HAB parts (inflatables and torus), starting with the basic inflatables.

Still awaiting a 1.2+ compatible Module-Manager before I'll be posting any updated testing releases.  From Sarbians' comments on various threads we likely won't be seeing it until shortly before the pre-release testing is done, at the earliest, and potentially not until after 1.2 has been finalized (which is understandable but a bit sad, as that leaves precious little time for finding and fixing mod-API related problems prior to 1.2 final, if at all).

Going to be a pretty huge change-log for the next SSTU release... this is just what I've done -so far-, and does not include any of the as-yet-unfinished/WIP stuff:

Spoiler

SSTU - version 0.5.33.126 - KSP 1.2 Support

• MAJOR CHANGE - Recompile for KSP 1.2.
  • MAJOR CHANGE - Include updated version of ModuleManager
  • MAJOR CHANGE - Include updated version of CommunityResourcePack
  • WARNING - This release contains save-breaking changes. Do not expect previous saves to be compatible with this version.
    • Major Fuel Tank changes
      • MFT-B and -K no longer exist.
      • Lower fairings removed
      • Use PartUpgrade system for max-diameter unlocks in career mode.
      • Use PartUpgrade system for min-diameter unlocks in career mode.
    • Modular Solar Truss - Part name has changed (ST-MST-A -> ST-MST-ISS).

Bugfixes

• FIX - Animation handling -- would sometimes grab animations for child parts in the editor (did not effect flight scene).
  • FIX - AnimateLight handling -- would occasionally initialize to 'everything lit-up' setup. Should now only light up meshes that should be lit-up. Also cleans up some inefficiencies in materials property handling (more fps). May have conflicts with part-highlighting.
  • FIX - SC-C-SMX - Incorrect IVA definition causing IVA to not be available.
  • FIX - SSTUSolarPanelDeployable now counts towards stock 'power generation' check in contracts.
  • FIX - SSTUModularParachute -- should now say 'armed-waiting' for status when armed and waiting for deployment altitude (previously said armed-unsafe even when safe and merely waiting altitude). Will still say 'armed-unsafe' when it is in fact unsafe.

Major Gameplay Changes

• CHANGE - Remove deprecated LR-81 engine config (rescaled F-1B, old part prior to the 8048/8096 variants being added)
  • CHANGE - Add all MFT-B (hydrolox) models to the MFT-A part as variants. Deprecate/disable MFT-B part.
  • CHANGE - Remove MFT-K part. Retain model-data files to possibly add as an MFT-A variant in the future.
  • CHANGE - SSTUModularParachute now goes through the stock Part.AddForceXXX methods to add physics forces for parachute drag.
  • CHANGE - Remove lower fairing from MFT fuel tanks. Still exists on MUS tanks.
  • CHANGE - Move all base color tank textures into general SSTU distribution. Add Pipe/No-pipe AO textures, standard, gold, and orange specular textures.
  • CHANGE - The following parts now use the new stock PartUpgrade mechanisms (size unlocks can be found in the tech-tree):
    • MFT-A/D/R/L
    • MCB-A (uses fuel tank sizing for now)
    • MUS-ST/CB
    • MSRB-A/B/C/D
    • FR-N / FR-W
    • IPA-N / IPA-W
    • ISDC
    • RBDC
    • PDC
    • PPC
    • MHS
    • WDP

Major Code Updates

• CHANGE - Add additional handling/reading/parsing/loading methods for ModelData based texture switching.
    • No longer need to explicitly specify a mesh; by default (no mesh specified) it will apply the texture to all meshes in the model.
    • Specific meshes can be excluded by adding an 'excludeMesh=' line for each mesh to be excluded.
    • Existing configs still supported. Can use either 'mesh=' or 'excludeMesh=' for white/black list functionality.
  • CHANGE - Add handling of shader changing in ModelData based texture-switching setups (used by most modular parts). If no shader is specified it will not be changed (and remain at the last setup shader, which may not be correct, but is the only behavior that can be guaranteed).
  • CHANGE - Add of custom shader with full RGB specular support and separate-texture for AO support.
  • CHANGE - Add a pre-compiled shader pack for each platform KSP supports (Win/Linux/OSX). The shader pack is loaded depending upon which platform is detected.
  • CHANGE - Add 'tank variant' handling to SSTUModularFuelTank. Now allows for tanks to be grouped into 'sets' of the same length, and allow switching between these variants via GUI. Fully backwards compatible with existing parts/configs.
  • CHANGE - Add GUI for selection of adapters, mounts, nosecones. Parts/modules using this functionality -- MFT, MUS, MSRB, Engine-Clusters, ModularStationCore, Cargo Bays. Old slider/button based system is still available through a config change (useModelSelectionGUI = true/false)
  • CHANGE - Adjust ModelData based attach-node positioning code to use a more logical calculation. Changes how attach nodes are defined for adapters that use a non-zero verticalOffset value. A couple model definitions have been updated to the new format.
  • CHANGE - SSTUSolarPanelDeployable -- add config boolean field 'canRetract' with default value of 'true'. Determines if solar panels can be retracted once deployed.

New Parts / Models

• NEW - Add a new no-piping fuel tank variant for MFT-A (Cryo).
  • NEW - Add a new no-piping framed fuel tank variant for MFT-A (Cryo-Framed)
  • NEW - Add MFT-S - Framed Spherical fuel tanks.
  • NEW - Add MCB-B - Full surround version of MCB-A
  • NEW PART - Config set to make a modular truss segment out of the Near-Future Octo-Truss parts
    • Only available when Near-Future Construction is installed. Does not alter the NFC parts, only adds a single new SSTU-MFT part. Includes the NFC OctoTruss models and 2.5m->OctoTruss adapter.

General Updates

• UPDATE - Update textures for ST-GEN-DSP solar panels to be multi-sided. Convert to .dds to MIP-map support (should help with in-game aliasing). Texture still WIP, awaiting new shaders for colored specular support (and some way to set the shaders on the prefab models).
  • UPDATE - Add texture for EVA hatch (for DOS/HAB parts). Still WIP, but is UV mapped and has a texture.
  • UPDATE - Add texture for Welding Docking Port. Still WIP, but is UV mapped and has a texture.
  • UPDATE - Add texture for ST-GEN-DSP-ISS - Still WIP, but is UV mapped and has a texture.

On 9/28/2016 at 1:00 PM, Shadowmage said:

On that note I also spent some time yesterday creating a set of configs to MFT-ize the NearFuture OctoTruss parts.  This consisted of setting up ModelData definitions for each of the model variants and creating a new Part config to utilize the models.  The result is a new part (name undetermined) that uses the NF truss models but allows for rescaling, all while supporting the many different body-variants that the trusses have (though resources are not locked to a specific variant; e.g. the electric model need not contain any EC).  Sadly only a single size truss adapter exists (truss->2.5m), so that is all that is available for the part.

What this all means is that I will not be making any trusses of my own in the immediate future, the 'Solar Truss' part will come with some simple adapters for the 'stock' SSTU install, and the Near-Future truss adapters will be added through a patch whenever NF-C is installed.

Well that's interesting! Is there anything that I can do to help this endeavour on the model/NFC side?

4 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Well that's interesting! Is there anything that I can do to help this endeavour on the model/NFC side?

Just keep making more awesome models :)  Yours are some of the few 'stock-alike' textured models that I think look nice and don't make me cringe; I think its mainly due to the use of AO/shading and the 'abstract' level of detail on your models (not spartan, but not 'busy' looking either; a good middle-ground).

I've got the rest covered in the SSTU plugin side of things.  Already have it setup so that it can load specific meshes from the .mu files for the b9-mesh-switch setup in the current models.  From there the 'modular part' modules do the rest of the magic regarding resizing, positioning, updating attach nodes, volume, resources, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.