Shadowmage

[WIP][1.2.2] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [02-05-17]

5862 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Define 'supposed to'? :) (And I'm guessing you are talking about the Merlin line of engines?)

In a perfect world (where I have infinite time), yes, they should have emissives.  However it is already known that they don't.  A few others as well, LR-87 and Superdraco are also lacking emissives, and I think one more that I can't remember off the top of my head (one of the more recent engine additions).

RL-10 does have an emissive texture (all but the RL-10-A-5; it technically has as well, but is mostly on the lower portion of the bell that was cutoff).  If they are not working then something has broken on the config level.

Feel free to open up an issue ticket on the repo regarding this; likely the only way I'll remember about them, which is they only way they'll get done.

As in are they supposed to be working currently lol, and yeah the Merlins and the LR-87, I wasn't at my computer at the time of writing that post.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

the LR-87 has it's pumps between the engine bells.  Often, like the RD-170 and RD-180, the LR-87 is said to be two (or 4 for the RD-170) engines.  This is not because it is two engines combined but rather the Engine bell is basically the same for the LR-91 engine (a single bell engine) on the Upper stage. This lead to a lot of reporters calling it two engines.

The LR-87 is a different case because each combustion chamber actually had its own pump and preburner, and they were just both situated in the space between the engines.  But yes, they were designed to operate as a pair.

12 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

A few others as well, LR-87 and Superdraco are also lacking emissives

That is supposed to be LR-81 right?

3 people like this

21 minutes ago, blowfish said:

That is supposed to be LR-81 right?

Derp; yes :)  That is what I get for posting without the info in front of me.

1 person likes this

Interesting bit of trivia:

SSTU has over 25,000 lines in its source files (how many of those are 'lines of source' is open to debate).

Also...

sp5tjNA.png

Working on the emissive for the Merlin line of engines now, should probably have those wrapped up today / this evening.

And has anyone figured out how to add Imgur albums (again)?  They appear to be working again from some posts in the 'What did you do today' thread, but I haven't seen how to add them yet.

8 people like this

22 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Interesting bit of trivia:

SSTU has over 25,000 lines in its source files (how many of those are 'lines of source' is open to debate).

Also...

sp5tjNA.png

Working on the emissive for the Merlin line of engines now, should probably have those wrapped up today / this evening.

And has anyone figured out how to add Imgur albums (again)?  They appear to be working again from some posts in the 'What did you do today' thread, but I haven't seen how to add them yet.

That glow! I bask on the glowy glowing glowiness of the glowy glowing goodnesses.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

That glow! I bask on the glowy glowing glowiness of the glowy glowing goodnesses.

WAIT!  Engines are supposed to Glow?!?! :D

Awesome looking emissives Shadowmage!  

Merlin engine emissives:

nUafhe4.png

bEv1yii.png

37NzUQM.png

Also updated the LR-81s for a bit more natural color-scheme (as shown on the Merlins above)

5 people like this

Hey guys I know this is a bit off topic but I had a question about the interstate decouples with the mini assist SRB's. So I been building a Saturn V and as I'm about to stage the next section the decoupler kicks on and rips through the whole ship destroying it. Almost feels like they are OP. I understand that the SRBs are there to assist in separating the staging and push it away from debris but they are just pushing through the whole ship and destroying everything. They only thing I found that works is that I take the fuel out of the SRBs. Is there another way to do it besides disabling the SRBs separation. Oh and the SRBs are pointed down. Thanks for any advice. And amazing work Shadowmage  the engines look beautiful. 

@mechanicH Are you playing with any other mods?  I remember seeing that when I was messing with SSTU and RO - basically they were auto-decoupling before they were supposed to and colliding with the ship.

Alternately, maybe you just turned the top decoupler on by accident?

2 people like this

@blowfish  I don't have RO   Just a lot of part mods. No mods that mess with the configuration of the game such as RO or FAR. I'll double check the top decoupler again. But as of now should my set up for the decoupler be. Top off bottom on. Auto decouple on and keeping all the ejection forces at 100%?

5 minutes ago, mechanicH said:

@blowfish  I don't have RO   Just a lot of part mods. No mods that mess with the configuration of the game such as RO or FAR. I'll double check the top decoupler again. But as of now should my set up for the decoupler be. Top off bottom on. Auto decouple on and keeping all the ejection forces at 100%?

Yes, that should do it.

Alternately, you can have top on, bottom off, invert the engines, and disable auto-decouple to push the lower stage away from you.  But either should work.

1 person likes this

@blowfish  I think I like that idea better. Pushing the used stage makes more sense to me then pushing me further forward because that would throw off my trajectory to AP for circularization. Thanks for the idea fish. :)