[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

This Friday will be the second anniversary of SSTU.

I had really wanted to do something commemorative for the occasion.  Sadly my current workload is a bit past 'crazy busy', so I'm not sure what I'll be able to pull off.

How does adding recoloring support to the SC capsules sound (okay, so probably only one for now)?  Worthwhile?  (as I think it is mostly texturing work, I might be able to get it done Sat. morning prior to packing up the last weeks worth of bugfixes).

Congrats! Thanks for the amazing mod.

Recoloring of the capsules which would allow for EFT-1 black Orion and green Soyuz would be awesome!

On 7/25/2017 at 4:58 PM, Shadowmage said:

This Friday will be the second anniversary of SSTU.

I had really wanted to do something commemorative for the occasion.  Sadly my current workload is a bit past 'crazy busy', so I'm not sure what I'll be able to pull off.

How does adding recoloring support to the SC capsules sound (okay, so probably only one for now)?  Worthwhile?  (as I think it is mostly texturing work, I might be able to get it done Sat. morning prior to packing up the last weeks worth of bugfixes).

We all appreciate your hard work and dedication to this awesome mod. Seems like every time you add something to improve upon the KSP experience, you change how we all play the game in a good way. Congrats!

Recoloring support for SC Capsules: While anything you do to the mod is a vast improvement to the gaming experience, this recoloring support is beyond awesome. Adding it to the capsules would be another peacock feather in your fedora. Especially if you only add the metal colors, that would be woot woot. 

Hey @Shadowmage,

I am still loving everything about SSTU and I have modified almost all of the configs to make things RO compatible. I am trying to determine how I can change the amount of solar power that is generated from the Static Solar Panels that are integrated into models (currently, it is the SSTU-SC-A-SM) but I know it will be others down the road.

MODULE
{
	name = SSTUSolarPanelStatic
	suncatcherTransforms = SC-C-SM-Suncatcher1,SC-C-SM-Suncatcher2
	resourceAmount = 1
}

That is obviously the relevant code, but what is the resourceAmount = 1 signifying? Is that 1 EC per second?

The other strange one I came across is the Interstage Decoupler. I figured out how to modify a lot of the values, but I cannot get the Fuel to scale correctly.

Here is the relevant data from stock SSTU:

RESOURCE
{
	name = SolidFuel
	amount = 70
	maxAmount = 70
}

MODULE
{
	name = SSTUInterstageDecoupler
	defaultModelScale = 5
	resourceVolume = 1
	engineMass = 0.15
	engineThrust = 500
	scaleThrust = true
	thrustScalePower = 3
	useRF = false
	fuelPreset = Solid
}

I have changed the values to the following, and the thrust values and everything works right, but the amount of Solid Fuel is not scaling in a way that understand.

@MODULE[SSTUInterstageDecoupler]
{
	@resourceVolume = 0.1
	@engineMass = 0.1
	@engineThrust = 50
	@thrustScalePower = 2
}

Thanks again for your help and for the great mod!

4 minutes ago, Spaceman17 said:

orion looks stupid like this.

also i have an idea for make a mod, what 3D moddeller you use?

You might try, you know, reading.

that is what the recoloring masks look like when rendered as a texture....)

Those are the regions within that capsule which can be recolored---to ANY color. Silver? Black? White? 

Edited by tater

It can be whatever color the player wishes. In the player's program, capsules might be metallic. 

Regardless, had you bothered to read anything, you'd know why the image represented---everything in sstu is gaining the ability to recolor.

13 hours ago, pap1723 said:

That is obviously the relevant code, but what is the resourceAmount = 1 signifying? Is that 1 EC per second?

Yes.

For changing the EC for solar panels in the StationCore stuff (integrated/deployable), you'll need to change the SOLARDATA definition that is within those solar-panels  ( GameData\SSTU\Data\ModelData\ModelData-ST-DSP.cfg ), where the 'energy' line controls output (EC-per-second-per-transform; some panels have multiple transforms....which is sadly completely undocumented).

13 hours ago, pap1723 said:

I figured out how to modify a lot of the values, but I cannot get the Fuel to scale correctly.

You should not have to touch it.  The resource volume specified in the config represents the fuel quantity at model scale = 1 (5m, default scale).  If you are simply doing a rescale on the part (changing the min/max sizes), then you should not need to touch the resource stuff.

49 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Yes.

For changing the EC for solar panels in the StationCore stuff (integrated/deployable), you'll need to change the SOLARDATA definition that is within those solar-panels  ( GameData\SSTU\Data\ModelData\ModelData-ST-DSP.cfg ), where the 'energy' line controls output (EC-per-second-per-transform; some panels have multiple transforms....which is sadly completely undocumented).

You should not have to touch it.  The resource volume specified in the config represents the fuel quantity at model scale = 1 (5m, default scale).  If you are simply doing a rescale on the part (changing the min/max sizes), then you should not need to touch the resource stuff.

Thank you @Shadowmage for the great response, as usual!

What I was trying to do is to have less Solid Fuel available at the default scale. As it is right now, the Interstage Decoupler (without any modifications) fires for longer than I want it too (too much fuel available). I was trying to cut that in half.

An off the wall question...and no is a perfectly acceptable answer, I want to work on creating FAR configs for the SSTU-SC-E Wings. However, with the Wings and the Strakes integrated as one piece that is not possible. Is there any chance you could provide me with them as separate parts and allow me to redistribute just them within the RO mod?

Thanks,
Pap

44 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

An off the wall question...and no is a perfectly acceptable answer, I want to work on creating FAR configs for the SSTU-SC-E Wings. However, with the Wings and the Strakes integrated as one piece that is not possible. Is there any chance you could provide me with them as separate parts and allow me to redistribute just them within the RO mod?

Not possible.  They are created as one mesh and there is no (simple/fast) method to split them apart.  Any attempts to do so would require that new geometry be created to fill in the gaps/joints, which would also necessitate new textures (no more space on the existing sheets).

I'll send you the model file if you want, but this is not something that I will be doing.

46 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

What I was trying to do is to have less Solid Fuel available at the default scale. As it is right now, the Interstage Decoupler (without any modifications) fires for longer than I want it too (too much fuel available). I was trying to cut that in half.

For that, you were probably on close to the right course;  find out whatever the default 'resourceVolume' is for the regular setup, and adjust that slightly to get the desired effect.  Could be a simple MM patch:

@resourceVolume *= 0.8

or similar....

5 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Happy 2nd Birthday SSTU!!!!!   And ofcourse our very own rocket scientist, ShadowMage for creating this gem.

Hehe thanks; its my birthday in a few days as well.  Not sure you would be able to fit that many candles on there though :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.