WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

• 2 weeks later...

Aviator Arsenal just updated!
And we all know what that means, don't we?
Have fun trying out the new features while I finish setting up the next version of this challenge!
Yet unsure if we continue using this thread or make another, but I think we can just stick around here, it will not take this long for new tournaments to happen after the next one now that AA is set up and everything.

Did you think about specific areas being "captured"? Like when there's some outpost and when one team wins over it it becomes theirs. And the whole Kerbin could be split into some areas with landmarks and such. When one team captures it the other has to recapture. If the "home team" loses they no longer take part in the challenge and the landmark is taken by the "away team" (AKA the attackers).

Also two teams only. Like Allies and the Axis. People choose their side (Team A or B + colour of the wings/other parts?). I guess that would make it less of a tournament and more like a competition between two teams. Might be interesting to watch tho.

Yes I have thought about that, and about ways to implement that.
The main problem is, how would I set up such teams, and which rules for conquering would I have.
There are already many locations on Kerbin with airfields where battles will happen.
But going further on the idea, it would be better to have two teams, people would choose a side to join, with limited spots.
Then, the team would decide where to place their defenses, that means each airfield would contain certain airplanes, as long as everyone participating has at least one.
In turns people would choose to attack, and would only be allowed to attack the nearest targets.

But that requires too much organization, team-wise, could turn into roleplay and people could end up fighting each other because the other guy's plane was bad and lost because of it, that kind of stuff...
It would work better if we had predefined "leaders" for each team, me and a friend, or two friends of mine for instance.
We/I would choose who gets on which team and only those leaders decide where to attack, using the airplanes provided by the community.
The community feedback would be taken into account for making such decisions, so you would participate indirectly, through airplanes and opinions.
But I am not sure if that would be fun for the airplane creators, what do you guys think?

On one hand, plane creators might simply want to see an elimination tournament - see who's design is better, etc. On the other hand, this might allow more screen time for contestants' designs, since it sounds like  craft aren't removed from the roster following a loss?

One issue I can see would be the increased bookkeeping over a standard tournament ladder, From a plane creator perspective, there would be the risk of some peoples planes never appearing in combat if they don't get chosen/are located to a site away from the current front. Perhaps you could do something like simply assigning planes to A or B teams as planes are submitted until team rosters are full, and then having matches of 2 random A team planes vs 2 random B team planes? Perhaps record how many times a design got shot down/ scored kills over the course of n matches, if rankings are desired.

@MightyDarkStar of course not, anyone will be able to enter the next tournament.

Unfortunatelly it's physically impossible for me to handle more than one tournament at once.

This means that if there are more types of airplane they will all fight on the same grouop.

But jets won't happen unless someone else compromises on hosting their battles and uploading the videos to youtube, in which case I would gladly set up rules for it and everything.