[WIP] [1.1.2] DIRECT - Super-Heavy Launchers - REVAMP RELEASE

benjee10

3.75m Parts:

-Crew Capsule (3.75m->1.25m)

-3.75m stack separator

-Service module (LFO&MP) styled after Orion, possibly after the earlier Orion designs where the entire service module is the same width)

-Service module engine

-Full length hydrogen tank (orange)

-Half length hydrogen tank (orange)

-Quarter length hydrogen tank (orange)

-3.75m heat shield

Benjee, please, never ever make the CEV Service Module the same width as the CM. I like the modern ATV-derived SM. And also, for us MPCV fans, can you add an alternate option for MPCV-Style Solar Panels instead of the Constellation-style Circular panel? But then it's all you to decide, just add some little add-ins for MPCV fans like me.

May be this link can help your project.

Cheers, that animation is very useful!

Benjee, please, never ever make the CEV Service Module the same width as the CM. I like the modern ATV-derived SM. And also, for us MPCV fans, can you add an alternate option for MPCV-Style Solar Panels instead of the Constellation-style Circular panel? But then it's all you to decide, just add some little add-ins for MPCV fans like me.

Think I will go for the ATV-derived SM since it's the most up-to-date version. And yeah, will go for the MPCV panels, the circular ones always look a bit weird to me (though the Phoenix lander rocks them)

Don't listen to the haters, benjee, go big or go home! :P

Very promising looking models so far, will of course be watching.

If you can't find a good reason to use 7.5m launch vehicles then you need to step up your game.

Try a manned land and return on one of the OPM planets with TAC life support. Even that Jupiter V wouldn't be enough to do it in one launch.

I'm currently doing just that. I'm working with a Chaka 6.5m ejection stage with 9km/s Dv. Then a 7.5 FASA Nova sustainer stage and 6x Chaka SLS SRBs to put that in orbit.

And that's just for the surface habitation module the kerbals need to stay in until the return window. I've yet to even begin construction of the ship that will carry the crew to and from.

I could put these parts to work immediately.

Big it is :D

I'm a little busy at the moment (going to Uni in September and frantically trying to obtain funds by making 3D models to sell) but when I have a little more time I'll start getting models textured and such like, as well as trying to work out the balance of it and stuff like that.

Once the first test release of this mod is released, that's it. I'm going to upgrade to 1.0.4.

EDIT

I just remembered I made a Jupiter III analog (Inspired by AndyMC's Orbiter versions, which is inspired by TeamVisions Jupiter III design)

with dtobi Space Shuttle Parts External Tank and stock SLS parts for a dual-moon jump.

The plan is to send a jumbo to Munar Orbit, then the Mun-Minmus lander, then the Roluos CSM (Orion analog with Aerojet Kerbodyne) and an Exploration Upper Stage into Munar orbit. After the whole stack is in Munar orbit, the lander lands, and flies back 2 days before Mun-Minmus transfer window. Then, the lander docks with the Jumbo-64, then the Roluos replenishes, then the EUS refuels the remaining fuel on the jumbo tank. Then, transfer burn as usual, lander lands on Minmus, flies back, discards EUS, then Roluos powers the stack home.

Sadly,all of those dreams have failed to be realized, as the rocket undergone Rapid Unplanned Disassembly, while flying the Big Three to space. Greatly, the Aerojet Kerbodyne escape tower did it's job greatly.

PS. I suggest Roluos as a name for one part, either the Rocket or the Capsule

Cheers, SpaceEagle/flamerboy67664

Edited by flamerboy67664

Sorry I'm pretty busy at the moment with getting everything ready for uni as well as creating 3D models to put up for sale to get some income in (which is basically my day job now), so you can understand that finishing several hours every day of 3D modelling and texturing I'm not particularly in the mood to do more of it for this :') But don't worry, I'll get some stuff done soon.

EDIT: With the incoming stock SSME in 1.1 it looks like all I'll need is a MM config to make that run on liquid hydrogen. Thanks Porkjet!

Edited by benjee10

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you guys this isn't dead, here's the higher quality model for one 1.875m SRB I'm working on (no texturing yet) -

8Yy7fbg.png

Been slow because I'm going to uni next week, so things are pretty hectic (and probably will be for a month or more) and there isn't much time for KSP at all really.

Just to let you guys this isn't dead, here's the higher quality model for one 1.875m SRB I'm working on (no texturing yet) -

http://i.imgur.com/8Yy7fbg.png

Been slow because I'm going to uni next week, so things are pretty hectic (and probably will be for a month or more) and there isn't much time for KSP at all really.

Looking good! Let me know if theres any help needed :sticktongue:

gr6Hq4B.png

SRB textured. Just the nose cone to go.

Also got a new computer which makes things a lot easier. Previously I had a 2007-era iMac and a laptop, and the iMac couldn't run KSP while the laptop couldn't run Unity, Blender or Photoshop, so I had to create models on the mac, then transfer them over to the laptop to test them out, which was pretty time consuming. My new iMac comfortably runs KSP at max settings at 2K (though it suffers from some instability issues I'm hoping will be fixed in the next update, but nothing game-breaking) and Blender & Photoshop run insanely fast on it (things that were taking 40 minutes to render now take about 4) Not tried out Unity yet but either way it should allow me to work a lot faster.

I go to uni on Friday and then it's Freshers for two weeks so this may be the last update on here for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a hectic week or so, settling in OK but not had time to work on this mod or even play KSP until today! Managed to finish up the SRB parts and get them in game. Nose cone is a separate piece. They're a touch too powerful at the moment.

svEiPEM.png?2B0PWuGo.png?2

... intended to replicate the Jupiter-III rocket, a frankly ridiculous proposal with a giant center tank, several SSMEs, two shuttle ETs strapped either side and four Shuttle SRBs.

This description alone is... but then I googled it... BY GOD!

I've begun work on the crew capsule to go with the launch system (going to wait until 1.1 until messing around with engines and Hydrogen fuel). In order to try and do something unique it's my own design which is a sort of combination of Orion and PPTS with bits of shuttle aesthetic thrown in.

gnGOeUE.png?1pOSdvUb.png?1

I'm trying to emulate PorkJet's fantastic style in the texturing. The capsule is 3.75m in diameter, top is 2.5m, and will hold 5 Kerbals with plenty of room for supplies and mission hardware etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.