[WIP] [1.1.2] DIRECT - Super-Heavy Launchers - REVAMP RELEASE

benjee10

6 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Shuttle-C. 

Please please PLEASE add this! you have no idea how many shuttle mods don't have the shuttle-C, and how much I've wanted one in a mod. Other than that, great news! I look forward to using this mod (I'm using @Daelkyr 's JOOL Direct as a place-holder for now (no offence, Daelkyr, it's a good mod, I just want benjee10's more, since it will work well in conjunction with SpaceY and SpaceY expanded))

40 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

• Spacecraft parts, starting with a 3.75m Porkjet style Orion and accompanying Altair lander. 
  • Heavy habitat parts (think modern Skylab, centrifuges etc.).
  • Various Shuttle-derivative parts, e.g. allowing building Shuttle-C. 

*FAINTS AND DIES*

AWESOMENESS!!!!!

I'd recommend incorporating SDHI. I love their Service module plugin.

I'd like to see the Orion and Altair first. :D 

Edited by davidy12

I played the STS in 1.0.5... Meh. I mean, very good work on parts (I'm in love with them, I like your style). Is it better on 1.1? Anyway SRBs contain too few fuel, they finish and decouple at a too low altidude, leaving hard work for the SSMEs (they overheat and barely reach a 100x100 orbit with no cargo). It's a pity because the model looks very good (even better if matched with Cormorant Aeronology shuttle parts). I hope you take a look on this when you have time (do not hurry).

Edited by trooperMNG

23 minutes ago, trooperMNG said:

I played the STS in 1.0.5... Meh. I mean, very good work on parts (I'm in love with them, I like your style). Is it better on 1.1? Anyway SRBs contain too few fuel, they finish and decouple at a too low altidude, leaving hard work for the SSMEs (they overheat and barely reach a 100x100 orbit with no cargo). It's a pity because the model looks very good (even better if matched with Cormorant Aeronology shuttle parts). I hope you take a look on this when you have time (do not hurry).

I do agree that SRB burn out is too soon, think perhaps using 2 meter or 2.5 meter SRBs that could be made when benjee revamps textures/remakes them. However, even with SRB burn out, I was still able to deliver a HabTech Unity Module into orbit.

11 hours ago, Daelkyr said:

This all sounds amazing. I don't really see a point to keep fiddling with my little parts pack when this baby hits prime time. 

Maybe you could collab with him :D

Also, @benjee10, for the SRB's can you add a gimbal on it? I can't make a good Ares I without it.

On 15 April 2016 at 4:19 PM, trooperMNG said:

I've been using it in testing and haven't had those issues, but will look into it. Everything will get a rebalance anyway! 

On 15 April 2016 at 4:56 PM, davidy12 said:

Maybe you could collab with him :D

Also, @benjee10, for the SRB's can you add a gimbal on it? I can't make a good Ares I without it.

Gimbal noted ;) 

22 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Forgot to ask, will you be making the RS-68s that I believe also would have flown for this?

I believe they were only for the earlier DIRECT proposals, v3.0 switched to SSMEs. I believe Nertea's Cryogenic Engines mod has a decent analogue anyway. 

On 15 April 2016 at 5:03 AM, Daelkyr said:

This all sounds amazing. I don't really see a point to keep fiddling with my little parts pack when this baby hits prime time. 

They fill different niches! Yours is in keeping with the stock sizing more (based around the stock SLS parts). You're welcome to keep using textures from here as they get updated if you like too!

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

O4vAMRI.png

PvIZkfA.png

WIP better tank textures. The nose cones and end caps for the orange tanks will get their own texture sheet as well because reusing textures from this set looks bad on them.

Next up is SRBs!

Lookin' GORGEOUS!!! :D

Can't wait for the SRBs. 

PS: Can you make the orange tank have the option of LF+O/LH+O

35 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Lookin' GORGEOUS!!! :D

Can't wait for the SRBs. 

PS: Can you make the orange tank have the option of LF+O/LH+O

Cheers!

The idea is that the orange tanks contain LH+O while the black & white ones contain LF+O.

Normal maps & specular in game:

NdPeHEA.png

M3RYFuX.png

21 hours ago, benjee10 said:

I'm going to keep things as they are for the time being (balance pending). 

Redone external tank:

CF4OLEH.png

What a beauty :D

I can hardly imagine what the Orion and Altair will look like.

Edited by davidy12

Just now, Gryphorim said:

Looks good! Any hope of preliminary release?

Soon, but not too soon. The redone parts are pretty much ready and Orion is in game but needs at least a temporary IVA, and then other stuff to allow it to be usable (LES & cover, Service module bits) but I'm pretty busy IRL so dev is pretty slow. Targeting some time in May I would think. 

10 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

The forward facing windows seem a little large, but who am I to judge? The best I can model is an engine bell and I haven't even taken a shot at texturing.

They're definitely oversized but I like IVAs with big windows and big views :wink: 

Also fits with the idea that it's a derivative from both the mk3 and the mk1-2 pod (it's called the mk1-3 in game) as there seems to be a trend of larger windows as the tech tree progresses. 

Had some chance today to block out the Altair lander (sans landing gear). I'll be going for the horizontal cylinder configuration of the earlier visualisations rather than the vertical cylinder of newer ones (because it looks more interesting IMO).

qagudD2.png

Six fuel tanks in the descent stage with two gaps where there will be places to attach stuff like science equipment or KIS containers. 

OJ6b2bg.png

The IVA will be laid out something like this, with a pilot at the front and then three kerbals in the back. 

jaIqo1i.png

Close-up of the ascent stage. Diameter is 1.25m, top attach node is 0.9375m. I'm thinking the engine should be larger and be monoprop fuelled, perhaps even 1.25m in diameter to work as a Shuttle OMS engine as well. Still undecided whether to make a custom descent stage engine or just allow clustering of other engines (maybe the ascent stage engine?) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.