I want to delete MechJeb

Hey y'all.

I downloaded MechJeb two days ago and I've been loving the maneuver node editor and the autopilot lander.

However!

I don't really want to use an autopilot even if just for landing and I've been making Mechjeb do the precise burns, which kinda makes the in game SAS useless, at least the marker oriented ones. With that in mind, I would like to ask the following questions to see if it's safe to delete MechJeb:

1. Is there a standalone precise node editor? Because that feature is amazingly useful. If so, can I have a link?

2. Is there some sort of landing assistance so I can land precisely (like one that suggests maneuvers for me) without doing it for me? If yes, link please?

3. Will deleting it affect my current saves? (I also intend to delete another parts-based mod so I need to know)

Thanks!

Though I still think high level pilots should have something that distinguishes them from the avionics hub; this precise burn thing maybe.

Deleting mods should only effect a ship that is using parts from that mod, at least as far as I know.

I use Mechjeb but only for the additional data readouts (delta-V, Ap and Pe mostly), I don't even know how to make it land for me!

But if you do want to remove it, then there's Precise Node (which I use as I prefer it to MechJeb's):

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/47863-1-0-2-Precise-Node-1-1-3-Precisely-edit-your-maneuver-nodes

The other questions, I don't know, never used any type of landing assist, just eyeballed with the map and went for it.

Deleting mods should only effect a ship that is using parts from that mod, at least as far as I know.

I use Mechjeb but only for the additional data readouts (delta-V, Ap and Pe mostly), I don't even know how to make it land for me!

But if you do want to remove it, then there's Precise Node (which I use as I prefer it to MechJeb's):

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/47863-1-0-2-Precise-Node-1-1-3-Precisely-edit-your-maneuver-nodes

The other questions, I don't know, never used any type of landing assist, just eyeballed with the map and went for it.

In what way are they affected? Do the mod parts simply disappear or do weird things happen to the ships?

hey,

it will affect your save as long as u keep the *202*-part thingy in your savegame (the one you attach to your vessels). When you are missing that part, all your vessels that had it attached before will get deleted.

you have two options: either deleting mechjeb and keep just this part in the folder / separate folder for _crappyParts_ with no function ingame at all; or you edit your safe so all your vessels lose the *202*thingy thing.

if you have no experience in editing safes, i might try to do that for you, if you want. Just upload the file somewhere and ill check it out tomorrow ;)

Edited by Speadge

2. KER has suicide burn altitude/distance/time that is good for estimating vertical descends. No maneuver suggestion, however.

3. At least you need to remove relevant parts from all vessels (crafts files so that crafts can load, and all vessels in mission so that your game can load). It may not be the only thing you need to do before removing - need consult mod thread.

hey,

it will affect your safe as long as u keep the *202*-part thingy in your savegame (the one you attach to your vessels). When you are missing that part, all your vessels that had it attached before will get deleted.

you have two options: either deleting mechjeb and keep just this part in the folder / separate folder for _crappyParts_ with no function ingame at all; or you edit your safe so all your vessels lose the *202*thingy thing.

if you have no experience in editing safes, i might try to do that for you, if you want. Just upload the file somewhere and ill check it out tomorrow ;)

Hey, thanks for the generous offer, but it's a new save I started today. I had 3 dinky probes on Mun, Minmus and Kerbol orbits, so I'll just delete those and get on my way. Thanks ^^

As far as landings go, I would recommend KER(Kerbal Engineer Redux), I use the suicide burn read-out for all of my non-parachute landings (I start a burn to reduce my velocity to 20m/s when the suicide burn altitude remaining hits 100m, then come to a near stop around 40-50m with a slow descent until touch-down as most of my vehicles are 20-30m tall and have ISRU so a wasteful landing is not a problem)

As far as I know it does not tell you how to land in a precise location though, I just use a maneuver node to come to a near stop in low orbit and make a near vertical descent for that(making hops as needed, after all with ISRU, wasted fuel can be replaced with just a little time and power, which is why I have it on all of my ships that plan to land)

2. Is there some sort of landing assistance so I can land precisely (like one that suggests maneuvers for me) without doing it for me? If yes, link please?

NavHud or its minimalist cousin Kerbal Flight Indicators is great for doing that as it draws the prograde marker on the screen which makes it easier to go in the direction of your landing spot. Trajectories is also very helpful if you want to land somewhere precisely from orbit. It even lets you use maneuver nodes and see where you land which is a bit like what you described.

So you like what MechJeb can do but you don't want it to do it for you? Yes, then you have three options:

1. Delete MechJeb completely. But that will also remove all the parts you like.
  2. Restrain yourself and don't use that part of MechJeb. Easier said than done.
  3. Blacklist certain parts of MechJeb. Only the parts you like will be active, the others do not.

For DeltaV readouts (and many others, basically mechjeb's readouts in a seperate mod) you can use Kerbal Engineer Redux.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/18230-1-0-4-Kerbal-Engineer-Redux-v1-0-18-0

In what way are they affected? Do the mod parts simply disappear or do weird things happen to the ships?

I don't see that this was answered but any craft in persistence using a part that no longer exists is simply removed from the game. It makes no attempt to just remove the part by itself, while that might seem sensible for mechjeb, if it were a stack part in the middle of a craft you would then have 2 pieces of debris which doesn't make sense either. Any Kerbals in those craft are considered Missing.

Edited by Alshain

I don't see that this was answered but any craft in persistence using a part that no longer exists is simply removed from the game...

... lets see.. skip 1...2...3... naah, just ONE side back:

....it will affect your save as long as u keep the *202*-part thingy in your savegame (the one you attach to your vessels). When you are missing that part, all your vessels that had it attached before will get deleted....

and a lil down:

...I had 3 dinky probes on Mun, Minmus and Kerbol orbits, so I'll just delete those and get on my way. Thanks ^^...

did you even read more than the OP?

NavHud or its minimalist cousin Kerbal Flight Indicators is great for doing that as it draws the prograde marker on the screen which makes it easier to go in the direction of your landing spot. Trajectories is also very helpful if you want to land somewhere precisely from orbit. It even lets you use maneuver nodes and see where you land which is a bit like what you described.

I'd second Kerbal Flight Indicators. It also makes aircraft landings much, much easier.

• 2 months later...

You can blacklist mechjeb modules if you want, by modifying the mechjeb configuration file as specified here. For your use case, where you only want the node editor and landing autopilot, edit the files $MECHJEB_PATH/Parts/MechJeb2_AR202/part.cfg and $MECHJEB_PATH/Parts/MechJeb2_Pod/part.cfg where they read:

MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings {

so that they instead read:

MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
blacklist = MechJebModuleTranslatron MechJebModuleAscentAutopilot MechJebModuleAscentGuidance MechJebModuleAscentPathEditor MechJebModuleDockingAutopilot MechJebModuleDockingGuidance MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilot MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance MechJebModuleRoverController MechJebModuleRoverWindow MechJebModuleNodeExecutor MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner MechJebModuleSpaceplaneAutopilot MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance MechJebModuleSmartASS MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment MechJebModuleThrustWindow MechJebModuleWarpHelper
MechJebLocalSettings {

Performing this modification will disable all modules except for MechJebModuleLandingAutopilot, MechJebModuleLandingGuidance MechJebModuleLandingPredictions, and MechJebModuleNodeEditor.[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.