? Win10 OpenGL Fullscreen flicker

Hello,

I Updated to Windows 10 and testet if everything is working. What it did so far.

But if i run KSP 1.0.4 with OpenGL and fullscreen, my screen is flickering. In Window mode it works fine, with Direct3D it works (windowed and fullscreen).

But i need OpenGL mode because of the mods i normally use. But this flickering happens even with a clean install.

So i could load a backup and go back to windows 7, but so far everything works. And a solution for this problem would be great.

I hope someone can give me a hint on how to solve this.

---

Kerbal Space Program - 1.0.4.861 (WindowsPlayer) Steam

CPU: Intel® Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4)

RAM: 8164

GPU: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 (3072MB)

SM: 30 (OpenGL 4.5 [4.5.0 NVIDIA 353.62])

RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, RGB565, ARGB4444, ARGB1555, Default, DefaultHDR, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8

Hi Sphinx2k.

There's no known fix for this yet, flickering is usually a graphics driver issue when the driver is unable to update the screen properly, this could be due to frame buffer timing or a failure to synchronize with the vertical refresh, I can only assume there is some incompatibility between Windows 10 and Unitys openGL mode when fullscreen, this doesn't seem to happen in windowed mode as the game window is forced to update at the same rate as the rest of the desktop.

-force-opengl is a Unity engine feature by the way, and not something Squad can address.

Your only options seem to be to continue to run KSP in a regular window, or to force a borderless window with the -popupwindow command, though if that doesn't work and you still need fullscreen you may have to stop using -force-opengl.

You could try seeing if this has been reported on the Unity forums, but I expect the only real fix is to wait for your graphics driver vendor to fix this in their drivers.

Do you have any other Unity games you can test -force-opengl with? If this does affect other games made with Unity there may be a driver update that addresses this sooner, though most Windows Unity games just use DirectX by default as that is the Unity default, -force-opengl is there for testing but it's not used as a matter of course.

Players are only using it with KSP due to it using a bit less Ram, though the change to .dds textures with 1.0 has helped with that.

Did you try -popupwindow with -force-opengl ? It'd be useful to know if it works, though you may have to hide your taskbar, and it's also worth testing -force-d3d11

Unfortunately there's no support in Unity for DirectX12 yet, though I expect that to change, that may also be why players are having this issue, and installing the DirectX 9 redistributable might solve it, or it might cabbage your PC, so I can't recommend you try this yourself, though apparently you can re-install Windows 10 to the same PC with no issues.

I think i fixed the problem. Maybe it helps other players with a similar problem.

I figured out that the screen sync option within ksp, influenced the frequency of the flicker. So i played arround with the nvidia controll center and the settings there, focusing on screen sync and double tripple buffer. Nothing changed anything.

Then after a lot of searching the internet and testing different settings nothing changed. But then i though maybe just try it with one screen....it was working. The flicker was gone completely without even restarting the Game.

I restartet the game and it still worked, to doulbe check i enabled the second screen again ...the flicker did not return. Eben my modded game version is working normaly.

I don't know why or how this fixed my problem, but if anyone has a similar problem i would advice to try it with only one screen enabled.

-popupwindow chanced nothing btw.

Maybe that's it, I've only seen two reports of this flickering so far, yours and one other but with the recent release of Windows 10 I expect more, and multi-screen setups are not uncommon, I'll have to check if the other guy has two screens as well, he didn't say.

You say the flicker was still gone after re-enabling the second screen, but what about a reboot of the PC? Could you test that and see if the flicker returns.

Well..... was considering win10 ... and I have dual monitors...

so, I'm not upgrading to 10 till a confirmed bugless working fix is found...

I *need* my daily KSP to stay sane. :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Just to add something here. When I tried OpenGL I had a similar issue. Most of the screen was a flickering mess while the lower left corner was displayed correctly. I tabbed out of the game then back in and all seemed to be fine at the main menu. Then I tried to play the game and it just locked up. This was on Win 8.1 single display but also a Maxwell 9xx GPU, can't remember what drivers though.

Edit: Tried it again just now and the main menu displays fine.

Edit 2: Tried to access the settings menu and it hung on the loading screen so I forced it closed. Loaded again, loaded a saved game, got to KSC, quit out, went to setting, loaded fine. It's completely random. Meh.

Edited by Manwith Noname

Next day after complete shutdown of the PC, it is still working without any flickering or any other problem i noticed so far.

@Manwith Noname

I have the same problem on win7 and win10 with setup menu "not loading" when using opengl. I can just see the loading in the bottom right corner. But I can fix this with pressing alt + return to go to windowed mode. Then with again alt + return back to fullscreen.

Edited by Sphinx2k

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.