WIP: Deltaglider XR-1

Redneck

Interestingly enough, I remember that the spot where the cannons appear is the place where the original had the small doors that opened to reveal the retro thrusters. You should create a pair of retro thrusters in the style of XanderTek's Landertrons using BD's animation plugin for auto deployment. Just need to create a little cutout in the front of the wing near the hull for them to fit into.

Also, to be true to the orbiter original, you need to add the retractable radiators.

There is a White and black one that comes with XR1 paintkit also. Theres so many. And taking in account that whoever made the skin will need to be contacted for permission. Perhaps a poll could be started to decide on the one everybody wants.

1GTJNSK.png?1

Edited by Redneck

the ones from here: http://www.alteaaerospace.com/index-4.html

- - - Updated - - -

what I actually meant is, will the textures remain with the same mapping or have you changed mapping and texture names? because if you retain them one could just google these, download and use the one they want instead, no need to include them in the pack (unless you want so)

- - - Updated - - -

now that I downloaded the files and saw your screenshot I got my answer, it seems you're keeping the names and mapping, which allows people to go and download these alternate textures and use them if they know what they are doing, so no need for you to open a poll to change the texture from your mod :)

So I used Active Texture Management http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-1-0-Release-5-0-April-28-2015-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM!

Smoothed the textures. I have to say she is looking purdy Hailprobev2.gif

Whoever said this looks hideous is crazy?! Its so unique and different from stockalike or replica. Its also useful!! Bravo I look forward to a release.

Thanks sp1989

an update. I have to go back and chop the vertical stabilizers off the ends of the wings due to the convex colliders not allowing correct RCS thruster placement on the wing surface. A little setback and not hard to do. On another note RCS thrusters (although not placed correctly on wing surface) worked great

Wings are done everything worked out great. Going to tweak the airlock as far as Eva's. Oh and I need to fix the radiator. Switching to radiator module caused animation s to not play. Going to add the extendable ladder at nosecone

well I got the cockpit with 130 groups and 12 different textures with multiple meshes down to 1 mesh and 1 texture. All done in unity I might add. Not in 3d modeling software. So point being is the cockpit no longer lags the game. And transitioning from SPH to launch pad is very smooth and loads quickly

Redneck - this looks great!

Honestly, I was never as big a fan of XR-1. I'm all about the Ravenstar though. I'm desperate to fly the XR-2 as my second shuttle program. (I do alt-histories with my programs and I really need an SSTO to replace the KSO when the time comes.

As far as which skin to go with - you're gonna get a million suggestions so mine won't bother you too much, hopefully.

I'd go with this one http://www.orbithangar.com/addonpics/XR2Boeing.png and dump the Boeing lettering. Maybe replace it with an ALTEA or leave it as a flag setup. Then again, it's tough to go wrong with white, gray, or black.

If there's any way I can help with this, let me know. I'm learning Unity and I'm not bad with coding. I'd love to give you a hand if I can.

Awesome work so far.

My advice - don't go crazy with the controls and IVA. From past experience, it's easier just to complicate a mod that works than it is to make a complicated mod.

If I get to launch components for a long-range space cruiser with an XR-2 with my own flag and name on the side of it - that would literally be the realization of what I've dreamed of since I started playing KSP.

Edited by Odyssey
found better link

Y'know... since you can do texture switching using Firespitter... Perhaps making it possible to add our own textures. If you could do it so that we just snag the one we like off of Orbit Hangar and drop it into a specific folder, and it repaints the whole bird... THAT would be cool.

Probably terribly difficult, though, so I'm not expecting that to happen any time soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.