[1.0.4] Reproducible BSoD when playing KSP when I plug in my webcam (Wait, what?)

I've come across a reproducible blue screen of death in Kerbal Space Program. The issue persists after I uninstall all my mods. It's also a very odd issue.

I understand that if a workaround exists (as it does here) then I should use it, and I will, but I also figure that a 100% reproducible BSoD is kind of a big deal, regardless of cause.

Step 1: Launch KSP

Step 2: Plug in a Logitech HD C310 Webcam.

Step 3: Bluescreen! Yaaaaaay!

Here's the bluescreen information I pulled from BlueScreenView:

==================================================
Dump File : 081015-9250-01.dmp
Crash Time : 8/10/2015 3:40:17 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff880`0481a7b3
Parameter 3 : fffff880`0dfea250
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ks.sys
Caused By Address : ks.sys+1a7b3
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+748c0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\081015-9250-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 372,776
Dump File Time : 8/10/2015 3:41:03 PM
==================================================

...Yeah. This probably isn't your fault, but it does only occur with KSP loaded. Trying it with Cities: Skylines does not produce a blue screen.

Now, the game starts up just fine with the webcam plugged in, but the issue is that it's plugged into my monitor's USB hub. When I turn the screen off and then on again, the computer bluescreens.

Here's a link to my DxDiag information. http://pastebin.com/u1N93ZQ1

And here's a link to the minidump. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88592594/081015-10654-01.dmp

Since I can just unplug my webcam, this isn't as big an issue as it might be. However, I don't want to do that because I'm lazy. Aside from unplugging the webcam, do you have any idea what I can do about this issue?

Edited by Inglonias
Added a minidump.

Sorry no, aside from completely reinstalling Windows, I don't know what is causing your issue but a blue screen is indicative of serious problems with your operating system.

The minidump tells me nothing however it's a "system_service_exception".

STOP Error 0x0000003B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

STOP error 0x3B means that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code. STOP code 0x0000003B may also display "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" on the same STOP message.

You can find more on stop errors here, you could then see if there's any fixes on Microsoft Answers.

There's a hotfix for Windows 7, you don't say what you're using however.

Also you should ask on the Unity forums in case others have run into this with other Unity games.

A simple workaround would be to (A) don't plug in the webcam, or (B) plug it in ahead of time.

KSP doesn't use your webcam in any way by the way, though this doesn't rule out the Unity engine polling for webcams, and while there is support for TrackIR it's off by default if no TrackIR device is present.

Edited by sal_vager

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.