[Released] Free IVA Alpha v0.2.1 [1.12.x] (2022-11-24)

pizzaoverhead

In terms of collision, you could just brute force it and add a mesh collider the the internal model. This is far from ideal, but It would work with most, if not all internals.

In my case, I will probably need several box colliders in order to block out my interior properly.

There really isn't. SQUAD uses Unity, and they've made KSP capable of reading and using Unity scripts and assets, effectively unlocking a door to Unity's full power. A modder with enough time could theoretically make a mod that replaces KSP with a completely different game like a Minecraft clone (although the memory footprint may be massive).

Any updates on this cool looking update?

Progress for this mod will be quite slow due to free time constraints and its experimental nature. It's taken three weeks and hundreds of launches of KSP to reach this early stage of development.

But that's no fun. Y'know what is fun? Development screenshots!

Looks promising!

My main concern is with how you're handling internal collisions. Your present approach would definitely work for most stock parts, but some mod crew cabins (such as FusTek):

- are made up of multiple intersecting colliders, which are needed for concave areas

- the internal may be shaped very differently from the exterior colliders (e.g. FusTek modules are round on the outside, but rectangular on the inside with chamfered edges plus some oddly-shaped circular segments for breakout areas)

I'd like to suggest some sort of override feature, where mod authors can specify their own custom internal colliders for their pods.

It's very difficult to find a solution that covers every use case, so I'll be making things configurable as often as possible for IVA designers to tweak.

In terms of collision, you could just brute force it and add a mesh collider the the internal model. This is far from ideal, but It would work with most, if not all internals.

That'll be an option to keep in reserve if the current one fails, or to use for more complicated IVAs.

Edited by pizzaoverhead

Progress for this mod will be quite slow due to free time constraints and its experimental nature. It's taken three weeks and hundreds of launches of KSP to reach this early stage of development.

But that's no fun. Y'know what is fun? Development screenshots!

It's very difficult to find a solution that covers every use case, so I'll be making things configurable as often as possible for IVA designers to tweak.

That'll be an option to keep in reserve if the current one fails, or to use for more complicated IVAs.

Another possible option instead of a new texture for making ports invisible would be to use vertex color. The problem would then be to go through the mesh and re-assign port vertex colors. You could do the same to IVA internal parts as well.

If you need any shader help, let me know!

Progress update: Thanks to eggrobin's efforts, full six degrees of freedom of movement is possible in the IVA view (ever play the Descent/

games?). No longer is there a "down" when you're in microgravity. You may find yourself disoriented when travelling about a large space station, returning to your starting point after exploring to find your seat is now on the "ceiling".

Today's progress: There is now a key to buckle/unbuckle yourself from a seat to begin free-roaming IVA. You are also no longer a floating head: The rest of the kerbal disappears instead of remaining in the seat disconcertingly once you unbuckle.

I love your work, do you have any realease dates in mind ? Why not release it as a WIP ?

No time like the present! I'll be away from my computer for the coming week, so in the meantime, here's the development version in all its broken, unfinished glory:

http://www./download/tia4ptihr39ltt5/EnhancedIva_-_Technical_demonstration.zip

This is a technical demonstration: Things only work within the narrow parameters needed to test whether they work or not, but it's enough to see it in action for yourself.

To see the open hatch, you need to create a craft with the Mk1-2 command pod as its root part, with a hitchhiker storage container below it, then move yourself into the hitchhiker and look back at the Mk1-2.

Keys:

• Y Toggle free view
  • I Forward
  • K Backward
  • J Strafe left
  • L Strafe right
  • U Roll counterclockwise
  • I Roll clockwise
  • H Upward
  • N Downward