biomes

One easy way to see essentially the same thing in-game:

1. Open the debug menu (default hotkey is alt-F12)

2. Check the checkbox that says "biomes visible in map"

3. Go to map view, you can now see where the biomes are in eye-searing primary colors

4. when you're done with it, un-check the "biomes visible in map" box again

If you're trying to eyeball "where are the highlands" (or whatever) from that map you linked, I agree it's kind of visually confusing. :) I find that what works for me is to seize on some visual landmark that's large and has a shape that's distinctive enough to recognize even in the flat map projection (Greater Flats works pretty well for this on Minmus), then look at where the highlands are relative to that, then mentally apply the same relative position on the map view.

But really, just do the debug-menu-visibility thing, it makes it easy. :)

Edited by Snark

Then you want to land on one of the yellow bits. I think I am remembering correctly when I say that the ScanSat mod lets you place a target on that map, which then appears on your normal map and in the flight display as a normal target marker. If so, that should help guide you in.

One easy way to see essentially the same thing in-game:

1. Open the debug menu (default hotkey is alt-F12)

2. Check the checkbox that says "biomes visible in map"

3. Go to map view, you can now see where the biomes are in eye-searing primary colors

4. when you're done with it, un-check the "biomes visible in map" box again

If you're trying to eyeball "where are the highlands" (or whatever) from that map you linked, I agree it's kind of visually confusing. :) I find that what works for me is to seize on some visual landmark that's large and has a shape that's distinctive enough to recognize even in the flat map projection (Greater Flats works pretty well for this on Minmus), then look at where the highlands are relative to that, then mentally apply the same relative position on the map view.

But really, just do the debug-menu-visibility thing, it makes it easy. :)

thanks, i hope it isn't considered cheating cuz i hate cheats :P

If you're trying to get highlands, go for the south pole area. You'll see what looks like a plateau just north of it. That's a 5km+ highlands so high up you're considered still in orbit when on the surface. You really cannot miss it (unless you're in map view and time warping when your orbit crosses this too low - you can smash into the side of it with no warning!).

The Elcano in my signature shows this very highlands at the end of pt 2/beginning of pt 3 of Minmus run.

I see the problem trying to match biome map to real map, but consider that slopes, midlands, and lowlands all blend together frequently, imagine trying to label that on an unkeyed map. On Minmus your best bet is to use the very distinctive flats to determine your location on the surface, then pick a site relative to that.

Also, watch out for the south pole, haha. It's...a very strange place.

now when you said it, i really wanna go to south pole :D, why is it strange place?

Because Unity doesn't handle them well. The camera freaks out, you get weird forces acting on you, the terrain tears and the game may even crash.

Everybody should experience it at least once, but I suggest doing it in a dedicated sandbox save.

And if you use MechJeb you can use the waypoint tool, which will show what biome a specific point is in.

I use that when setting my rovers on course (yes, I use manned and wheeled rovers to go around on the moons).

The biomes on the map are colur coded because they aren't single areas so to lable all the slopes areas would take hundreds of arrows. Using the wiki map for Minmus is pretty easy because the flats are very distinctive.

To visit highlands I would identify the greater flats from orbit, they have a pretty distinctive shape and the flats are a different colour. Then look somewhere to the tight of that, about a third of the way to the lesser flats for a particularly raised area and try to land there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.