[WIP] RCS Pack

This is very early days (day 2 actually) for this mod. It stemmed from having what appears to be the normal trouble of trying to get BiFuel RCS working. Only one direction of thrust transform works. If you're working on large craft, it's kinda annoying not having something with more oompf than the old mono RCS.

Anyway, as there seems no inclination to remove the single direction multi-fuel RCS limitation, I've decided to work around it.

This mod simply splits the RCS block into a base, and nozzles. Each nozzle has only one thrust transform, so it works just fine. Also, this means the RCS block base can take a bunch of nozzles.

So far I only have one base (I intend to add more, and different sizes, probably also as requested), and a bunch of one size of nozzles.

MonoPropellant Nozzle.

LiquidFuel+Oxidizer Nozzle

LqdHydrogen+LqdOxygen Nozzle (requires Com Resource Pack, not included)

ION Nozzle

NTR Nozzle

DOWNLOAD https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/1083/RCS%20mix%20and%20match%20set

Any nozzle can go on any suitably sized node of the RCS blocks. In fact, they are also surface attachable, so you could just add them to surfaces and use the rotate widget to angle them as needed.

Textures, configs etc still pending anything resembling completion.

I'll probably split this into a Stock friendly and Community Resource Pack edition later. :-)

npQ6lOZ.png

ca9UIOx.png

fRweSJV.png

NFOWFCH.png

3u31lfu.png

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming
Forgot the download link, derp

I love the concept, I don't much care for the size. That might just be the 1.25m parts, they may look a lot nicer as a larger alternative to the stock for 2.5 and 3.75m parts.

Edited by Alshain

I love the concept, I don't much care for the size. That might just be the 1.25m parts, they may look a lot nicer as a larger alternative to the stock for 2.5 and 3.75m parts.

Well, yes, they're sized for large craft. I just used small stock parts to minimize parts in the shot that weren't this mod.

Here's the sort of craft I meant it for,

C7I0pgb.png

KW Rocketry has RCS like those.

As does FASA, which also has a "pod" that's a lot like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the NTR run on Liquid Fuel or Liquid Hydrogen?

At the moment, the NTR runs on Liquid Fuel, but there will be a LqdHydrogen version for CommunityResourcePack users.

is it possible to have the heavier duty RCS use effects that aren't the stock white fluffy plume?

I remember years ago there was a mod that used the mumech libraries to have rcs use liquid engine effects but I dunno if that's even possible anymore

is it possible to have the heavier duty RCS use effects that aren't the stock white fluffy plume?

I remember years ago there was a mod that used the mumech libraries to have rcs use liquid engine effects but I dunno if that's even possible anymore

Unfortunately not yet. There's hints that SmokeScreen might include that at a later date, but so far, without some serious work, there's no way. There was a ModuleRCSFX mod once upon a time, but it ceased working properly at v0.80, and isn't something that will behave in 1.0 as far as I know. In 0.8 it was a bit prone to the same issues as plain RCS when using multi fuel RCS too, so not the best choice for this.

There was a ModuleRCSFX mod once upon a time, but it ceased working properly at v0.80, and isn't something that will behave in 1.0 as far as I know. In 0.8 it was a bit prone to the same issues as plain RCS when using multi fuel RCS too, so not the best choice for this.

Not sure about the second part of your quote, but isn't this mod still around and working in 1.0?

See http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92290-0-24-2-ModuleRCSFX-v3-0-8-29-14

Updated with 3 sizes for stock nozzles and changed the directory structure. Remove existing versions before installing 0.3.

Non-stock fuels to be updated next.

PS: NTR sizes when I tested them only provided one size. I'm not sure why. It might be my mangled install, so I uploaded it anyway. But there may only be one working NTR nozzle.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure about the second part of your quote, but isn't this mod still around and working in 1.0?

See http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92290-0-24-2-ModuleRCSFX-v3-0-8-29-14

Nice, I didn't know that. Still, has some limitations in 1.0. But if Nathan gets someone to integrate with RealPlume, I'm jumping on that band wagon so fast... :-)

OK, time to ask which fuels (other than stock) people use.

Regardless, I'll be doing the following;

Kero(RP-1) and LOX, basically the same as the stock liquid fuel.

LH2 and LOX, higher Isp, heavier tubings and pumps etc compared to Kero+LOX.

Some hypergolic. probably N2O4 + some form of hyrazine.

Some monoprop like Hydrazine or Aerozine.

The idea is to give people both a realistic fuel edition, and for us lazier people, some RCS that will use the fuels we have for the main fuel tank.

Also, the weights I've used so far are based on scaling the weights of stock parts. But I've noticed that mono rockets are absurdly heavy, and NTRs are absurdly light. When NTRs' downside is that the engine is heavy, and mono rockets' benefit is that they're lightweight and simple. So I'll probably rejig weights for the various nozzles at some stage. Hopefully RCS isn't making a significant proportion of anyone's craft, but it'd still be nice to get them right.

• 5 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.