[WIP][1.3.1] North Kerbin Dynamics - Nuclear Bombs and Heavy Ordnance Pack (and other things) v0.84b

harpwner

5 hours ago, Toonu said:

Yeah, I experienced same problem before a 2 months, I fired cruise missile armed with nuclear warhead (Tomahawk so W80) and flew away. And it hit me 80km from the impack instantly destroying my plane. No idea what happened that day. :D It was Tomahawk from your PEW mode btw.

Yeah it's so weird. You blow up instantly! :/

6 hours ago, Toonu said:

It was Tomahawk from your PEW mode btw.

which uses NKD for the nuke btw :P

6 hours ago, Toonu said:

And it hit me 80km from the impack instantly destroying my plane

On 19/05/2017 at 1:52 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

You only have to use one of these nukes once to realize that all is not right with, their operation, the effectiveness, the area of effect., the blast and heat functions,  I'm sure when H designed this code that he did not intend for objects at ground zero or close to, to remain undamaged while the damage at the periphery is way out of proportion. 

7 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

which uses NKD for the nuke btw :P

Yeah I know it does, but isn't it too much overpowered for such small warhead? :D 150kt...

That's why I post it there and not PEW :P

16 hours ago, Toonu said:

Yeah I know it does, but isn't it too much overpowered for such small warhead? :D 150kt...

That's why I post it there and not PEW :P

Hi , as you may be aware my custodianship is pretty much over for PEW as per LP wishes, I'm just carrying on with support for a short while, which looks like it'll end at 1.3

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)
attitude

Does anyone have a link to the patch for the nukes?  I try the one in the thread itself a few pages back, and I get a 404.

Also, does anyone else have this issue with the AGM158 after being launched where it throws multiple errors about there being more than 255 polygons?

On February 6, 2017 at 11:30 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi all,  It's time to update PEW and as such I need NKD to be fully operational,  and as @harpwner is otherwise engaged I have made one little fix in the code and recompiled  NorthKerbinMod.dll.   ALL i've tested fully are the parts I need for PEW so the rest of the mod remains as per last release and untested.  Place un zipped dll in NKD plugins folder.

And of course if there's a problem with providing a link I'll remove it. 

Changelog

HarpExplosive.cs Line 71 changed weapon.timeFired to weapon.TimeFired

Updated references to 1.2.2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8edg84wyshpcz2b/NorthKerbinMod.zip?dl=0

ps not taking over just a fix so I can update PEW nothing more

On May 15, 2017 at 4:54 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I clicked that link and got a 404 Error

Edited by Brainpop14

I recompile mine on my own, but waiting to see if @harpwner is OK with anyone publishing updates.  Currently the source is included in his downloads but not maintained on Github as far as I know so I cannot make a true fork without express permissions.

On 23/05/2017 at 1:19 AM, Brainpop14 said:

I clicked that link and got a 404 Error

Download removed as it's simply too buggy

. @gomker  see my post for last fix, harpwner is good with unofficial updates until he has time, but there's more that really needs fixing than just the visuals, as the area of effect is very very broken, things at ground zero undamaged while 20 km away everything burns.

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Download removed as it's simply too buggy

. @gomker  see my post for last fix, harpwner is good with unofficial updates until he has time, but there's more that really needs fixing than just the visuals, as the area of effect is very very broken, things at ground zero undamaged while 20 km away everything burns.

I'd like to see If I could help out with that, but we would need to setup a proper collaboration on Github if we could

Once the problem with nukes' blast radii is fixed, it would be awesome to see a selection of proper self-assembled ballistic missile warhead components instead of one pre-made MIRV warhead.

There are three components of a ballistic missile's warhead that are currently missing from KSP: the conical heat shield, the fuzing (not a typo) mechanism, and the "physics package" (the nuke itself). The heat shield protects everything from reentry, the fuze tells the nuke when to go off, and the nuke - well, we all know what it does.

Here's my concept of how this weapon system would play out:

The physics package:

Spoiler

The physics packages should be either cylindrical or slightly (θ <= 20 degrees) tapered, a L/D ratio of above 1.5, and have an unpainted, metallic look. There should be multiple variants with multiple yields, with the larger yields being physically larger. (Alternatively, there could be one "physics package" part, and its yield (and therefore size) be adjusted à la Procedural Parts.) Instead of being dropped/fired, a physics package should be detonated via action group or weapon menu.

As unlocked research increases (assuming this mod has tech-tree progress), available physics packages should have a decreasing size/yield ratio. (Mass/yield is constant at 5kT/kg for physics packages - this is about the most efficient small warheads can get.)

The fuze:

Spoiler

The fuze should be a relatively small part. It should allow one to set an altitude at which all physics packages on the vessel are detonated.

The heat shield:

Spoiler

The heat shields should have a biconic shape with half-angles under 15 degrees. Example of a biconic shape: Mk_6_reentry_vehicle_on_display_at_Natio(Titan II W53 Mark 6 Re-Entry Vehicle)

The best way I can think of to implement choice in heat shield size is to have a Procedural Parts-style part editor, where you can set the overall length, distance of cone boundary from bottom, diameter @ cone boundary, diameter @ base, and wall thickness. The amount of ablator resource in the heat shield is dependent on the wall thickness and surface area of the shield.

As unlocked research increases (assuming this mod has tech-tree progress), the wall thickness/ablative ability ratio of the shields should decrease.

Of course, there may possibly might could be a better way to do this, but I can't think of one.

---unrelated post below---

Also, does this add a "ballistic" mode to the Modular Missile Guidance part?

Edited by Alex33212

Wondering if there's any plan to kick this into KSP 1.3.0..I need my nukes, My Kim Jong-un Kerbal needs them seriously bad, um, for deer hunting.

Oops, saw a link below but it's dead. I compiled it myself and can confirm nuke detonation in KSP 1.3.0 Pic I took , I was a bit close to the detonation but Kim Jong_un Kerbal was fine.

Edited by Cataclysmm
became not lazy

For some reason, none of the nukes worked for me, I had the C.A.L addon and BDarmory 0.11.1.6, but still, none of the nukes are working, why?

I'm playing on 1.2.2, and every explosion is just like a normal one. Maybe the mod is outdated? If so, where can I get the newest one?

Edited by william2002730

2 minutes ago, william2002730 said:

For some reason, none of the nukes worked for me, I had the C.A.L addon and BDarmory 0.11.1.6, but still, none of the nukes are working, why?

My guess is that it's not compiled for the unity 5.0 upgrade. The way the FX are done is probably different, perhaps the DLL just needs rebuilt. I'm going to try and see if I can get the source compiled, but I have to get this setup again, haven't tinkered with a mod since 1.2.1. step back to 1.2.2 and they work fine.

24 minutes ago, Cataclysmm said:

My guess is that it's not compiled for the unity 5.0 upgrade. The way the FX are done is probably different, perhaps the DLL just needs rebuilt. I'm going to try and see if I can get the source compiled, but I have to get this setup again, haven't tinkered with a mod since 1.2.1. step back to 1.2.2 and they work fine.

I'm currently on 1.2.2, should I try to play on 1.2.1?

1 hour ago, william2002730 said:

I'm playing on 1.2.2, and every explosion is just like a normal one. Maybe the mod is outdated? If so, where can I get the newest one?

you need BDArmory.0.11.1.5 for 1.22 I believe, not BDArmory.0.11.1.6

Or I'll fix em myself lol. wasn't that hard to compile it once I found that comment by SpannerMonkey about the line " if (!hasDetonated && weapon.TimeFired >= armTime)" Mine was  if (!hasDetonated && weapon.timeFired >= armTime) and that tiny change did everything.

Edited by Cataclysmm

On 5/20/2017 at 4:06 AM, Warsoul said:

REQUESTS ARE ENCOURAGED!

https://sketchfab.com/models/759d107f6a1942c9bf672cfaff7f5571

https://sketchfab.com/models/2900aa7ff9664788bad02fc93c25c4d4

These three models are ready to explode i you wish to work on.

the mod developer is currently on leave and as far as I'm aware spanner monkey is just maintaining it and fixing issues, also what you want those bombs to do is not supported by bd armory so it would require a lot more work, there cool textures and could probably fit in a futuristic pack but they can't do exactly what you want 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.