Pitching this to teacher, how do I do it?

kenbobo

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:46 PM, Lo Var Lachland said:

Heck, some guy made a working computer out of Minecraft, but we can send rockets to Pluto!!

Who needs computers in a computer when you only need one computer to send stuff into space?

I saw a video where someone built a computer in Minecraft and played KSP on it :D

• 4 months later...
On 13/05/2016 at 6:12 PM, fireblade274 said:

WHy is minecraft educational..?

On 17/05/2016 at 4:00 AM, legoclone09 said:

That's a good question.

On 14/05/2016 at 7:02 AM, WinkAllKerb'' said:

it's either world of minecraft ... but may be it's time for world of yourcraft or world of ourcraft ...

minecraft is a plague ... 1929 cc share alike within the name ... aside that ... what's inside is interesting ... but the title glitch a lot ...

On 24/05/2016 at 8:27 PM, KSP Bro AE said:

The true question is HOW?!

On 28/05/2016 at 1:51 AM, Combatsmithen said:

Yeah. How the heck could Minecraft be educational. There is literally nothing educational about it except for using your imagination to create and build things. 

On 10/06/2016 at 4:28 AM, dewin said:

Redstone circuits?  And various other logic that some of Minecraft mods add.

But if you're going to do that, you should grab Infinifactory.edu, which doesn't actually exist but ought to.

On 10/06/2016 at 8:46 AM, Mr. Quark said:

Sorry to break it to ya' but... redstone doesn't exist in real life ( Sorry if this appears rude. )

On 10/06/2016 at 2:58 PM, Hysterrics said:

Maybe not educational, but it's thought provoking and a good start to get kids thinking creativley.

Redstone helps kids start thinking about logic circuits and tends to be fairly challenging. I would argue that KSP is much more educational, but Minecraft is still a pretty nifty thing.

On 10/06/2016 at 6:28 PM, Combatsmithen said:

I loved minecraft. Played vanilla at least 1500 hours over the years. And modded at least 750 hours over the years as well. Not counting the hundreds of hours of youtube content I have watched on it. :P

On 11/06/2016 at 11:37 PM, MaxPeck said:

Sure it does.  It's called "wire".  Which is what redstone and redstone components are an analog for... teaching basic electronics and logic concepts to kids.

On 14/06/2016 at 1:22 PM, Mr. Quark said:

Ah, gotcha :)

How did we get this far off topic on a dead forum?

• 2 months later...
On 19/08/2015 at 3:55 AM, kenbobo said:

I love KSP, and I love my science class. I'm planning on telling my principal to distribute this, how do I explain it? I mean, how can it be used in the classroom? They use MinecraftEDU, so I think they'd consider it.

Well, KSP is a great medium to learn about forces, and momentum. It can teach anybody regardless of age. It furthermore promotes innovative thinking and engineering, which can then be utilized in critical thinking and further interests in the topic of physics.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

some slight-slide-off-topic side thought about languages and linguistic in general , multi-super-hyper threaded meaning overtime neuro socio-individual shceme & across nati location [edited / removed]

i do wonder who can be stuck in that kind of stuff and for what purpose , anyway ^^ (oops 1/2)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
;

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2016 at 1:26 PM, OzEtkin said:

Not a joke, here's the (or one of the) video(s):

Not sure how he did it though, I don't play Minecraft :P

Sorry about the late replay, that's pretty cool, downright incredible actually.

Technically he's using minecraft as an input device.  It's still pretty amazing, to do that, though.

Edited by Ruedii
moar info.

On 7/24/2016 at 10:26 AM, OzEtkin said:

Not a joke, here's the (or one of the) video(s):

Not sure how he did it though, I don't play Minecraft :P

That's fake. Minecraft lacks the capability to do that, with or without mods.

EDIT: MinecraftEDU is bs.

Edited by KSP Bros KS

Can you get KerbalEdu through steam?

On 8/10/2017 at 8:33 PM, KSP Bros KS said:

That's fake. Minecraft lacks the capability to do that, with or without mods.

EDIT: MinecraftEDU is bs.

S/he probably used the mod with google, searched up a video, played it, and pressed the buttons right before the rotations.

15 hours ago, Grand Ship Builder said:

Can you get KerbalEdu through steam?

S/he probably used the mod with google, searched up a video, played it, and pressed the buttons right before the rotations.

thats exactly what i thought, and no

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19. 8. 2015 at 3:55 AM, kenbobo said:

I love KSP, and I love my science class. I'm planning on telling my principal to distribute this, how do I explain it? I mean, how can it be used in the classroom? They use MinecraftEDU, so I think they'd consider it.

My opinion - find the overlapping areas of topics covered by your school and by the KSP. My point is you will not be able to persuade them to teach some new topic. So if your school sclasses are not covering orbiting and delta-v, they wont see a advantage of this game. They will not create "Kerbal 101" semester for this game :-D

So try to go via topics covered by school and think about how they can be ilustarted by the KSC engine. (weight vs mass, center of mass, center of lift,...). Maybe even matematics. When you plan the trips to moon, game ilustrates this graphically. But when you show this to the people, they may become more interested in "how to I calculate this by myself?" In such case this game may not teach how to do it, but answer the quest "why are we even learning this? How is this used in real life?"

You should find as many existing school topics as possible that can be helped by this game and then I would probably discuss with teacher, before going to principal. (may be helpfull to have one or two teachers supporting your idea.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.