Pitching this to teacher, how do I do it?

kenbobo

hehehe.... This is kind of sneaky, but if it was me when I was in school, I would probably ask my principal or teacher something really hard, like could they explain how to determine the deltaV going from one planet's moon to another. Once they recover from the shock of the question and ask why you need to know, explain and push your idea to use KSP as a learning tool. Stress the physics in the game, and how one really can't play without learning something..

If I were you I would collect user reviews from KSP, specifically ones that say "it taught me orbital mechanics in a way I never thought possible!" 10-20 of these reviews printed off would be quite convincing. Throw in a trailer or some screenshots and who knows what he will think.

Then again, convincing him that orbital mechanics is something worth knowing is an entirely separate challenge lol

Does your school teach analytical geometry? Physics? A lot of what you're doing in KSP revolves around elipses, parabolas and angular motion. This is a fantastic way to illustrate those concepts by having students simulate them. There's also a lot that can be done in terms of calculating the power output of the various motors, determining the amount of potential energy per liter of fuel, etc.

Go to your library and do a literature search on use of simulation in learning, and classroom gamification. It would also help if you maybe convinced your math/science faculty of the value of it, and have them help with the heavy lifting with the administration.

Are you a teacher? Student? What's your role in this?

Edited by MaxPeck

"Squad travaille en relation avec la compagnie TeacherGaming afin de mettre au point une version de KSP spécialement conçue pour les salles de classe. Ce projet, nommé KerbalEdu, a pour but d'enseigner aux élèves les principes de base de la physique, notamment la gravitation, et pourrait être utilisée pour illustrer des cours d'histoire sur la Conquête spatiale. Une première version du projet est sortie en novembre 2013 dans une cinquantaine d'établissements scolaires, et devrait devenir disponible pour toutes les écoles si les premiers essais sont concluants."

(source: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerbal_Space_Program)

approximat gg trad =>

"Squad working relationship with TeacherGaming company to develop a version of KSP specially designed for classrooms. This project , named KerbalEdu , aims to teach students the basic principles of physics, including gravity, and could be used to illustrate history courses on space conquest. A first draft was released in November 2013 in fifty schools, and should become available for all schools if the first tests are conclusive ."

also you can tell him this short story:

"A few week ago i know someone who spent time with elders born around 1920, showing them the iss live, they were like kid unable to leave the stream so much they were amazed, they've also been told that if someone told in 1904 to their own parents that a hundred years laters there will be so much plane (take off/landing around 1/min on many airport) in the sky they would have just laughed at you, and that why you should introduce KSP Mr. Principal ; sometime a hundred years can go faster than it could appear."

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2016 at 8:05 PM, kenbobo said:

Sadly, due to the overwhelming success of MinecraftEDU in the school district, the short lived KSP program was cut off due to lack of funding.

:/

@kenbobo really sorry to hear that. This is a tragedy. Will be interesting to see what they are doing next year after the effects of the new subscription service to Minecraft: Education Edition kicks in.

• 2 months later...

it's either world of minecraft ... but may be it's time for world of yourcraft or world of ourcraft ...

minecraft is a plague ... 1929 cc share alike within the name ... aside that ... what's inside is interesting ... but the title glitch a lot ...

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

• 2 weeks later...

Redstone circuits?  And various other logic that some of Minecraft mods add.

But if you're going to do that, you should grab Infinifactory.edu, which doesn't actually exist but ought to.

4 hours ago, dewin said:

Redstone circuits?  And various other logic that some of Minecraft mods add.

But if you're going to do that, you should grab Infinifactory.edu, which doesn't actually exist but ought to.

Sorry to break it to ya' but... redstone doesn't exist in real life ( Sorry if this appears rude. )

On 5/27/2016 at 7:51 PM, Combatsmithen said:

Yeah. How the heck could Minecraft be educational. There is literally nothing educational about it except for using your imagination to create and build things. 

Maybe not educational, but it's thought provoking and a good start to get kids thinking creativley.

Redstone helps kids start thinking about logic circuits and tends to be fairly challenging. I would argue that KSP is much more educational, but Minecraft is still a pretty nifty thing.

4 hours ago, Hysterrics said:

Maybe not educational, but it's thought provoking and a good start to get kids thinking creativley.

Redstone helps kids start thinking about logic circuits and tends to be fairly challenging. I would argue that KSP is much more educational, but Minecraft is still a pretty nifty thing.

I loved minecraft. Played vanilla at least 1500 hours over the years. And modded at least 750 hours over the years as well. Not counting the hundreds of hours of youtube content I have watched on it. :P

On June 10, 2016 at 3:46 AM, Kandjk said:

Sorry to break it to ya' but... redstone doesn't exist in real life ( Sorry if this appears rude. )

Sure it does.  It's called "wire".  Which is what redstone and redstone components are an analog for... teaching basic electronics and logic concepts to kids.

basic logic opperand and semiconductor stuff, but well i maintain the title sucks like the 1929 capitalism model based on dying colonialism mindset from feodal habits and middle ages socio-psycho models

{the pope - place saint pierre of rome a few year ago: "hey obama are you doing the crusade again in north africa ?" } ... either *grrrr* ... either did the pop really said that to obama wut rlly ?

so on "il a rit" très fort sans se "trumper" "aux bas mots"
(so on "he laughed" loudly without "duobt" "with whispered words")

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

(( (( nothin special "fart proudly" or alike google it and have fun ; ) in/out i won't argue endlessly on the same topic again and a gain i m slighty bored with hypocrate, hypocrite and hippo "crotte"

wich is a personnal view http://www.coheris.com/produits/analytics/logiciel-data-mining/UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png feel free to prove me wrong ; ) i m kinda a begginer forgive me that's normal like gauss said and i don't give a bode fall about it ; ) )) ))

edit:

Spoiler

http : / / imgur.com / CYG61uw .  jpg

one is from 1942 the other is an original i own from 1920, of course we can discuss how fast thing change and evolve regarding a single biped lifespan but that will prolly won't bode well

anyone is free to restore the link per curiosity, but i can't guarantee you will sleep well afterward for the day to come if you do so

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

On 11/06/2016 at 5:37 PM, JJE64 said:

Sure it does.  It's called "wire".  Which is what redstone and redstone components are an analog for... teaching basic electronics and logic concepts to kids.

Ah, gotcha :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.