Hello from Cape Town

Clear Air Turbulence

Thank you!

After spending a number of Kerbal days zooming round and round the planet and missing rendezvous after rendezvous, I am afraid I am going to have to try Mechjeb. I seem to be able to get within 700-800 metres, but our orbits are just mismatched enough that we zoom past each other.

But then I wonder: won't doing everything on autopilot take the fun away?

That was interesting.

Built a rocket to go to Minmus.

But somehow I flew to Mun instead.

Last bit of descent was in the dark.

Managed to land safely - without autopilot, note -

Safely means that my velocity was 0 m/s & all my Kerbals were still alive.

When the sun came up I was lying on my side. Hmmm. Plain was perfectly flat. I deduce I must have bounced a couple of times.

Question: is there guidance on building a simple rocket with sufficient delta v? I just stuck a couple of extra engines laterally on my last stage but it was a very inelegant solution & I think was not very aerodynamic.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to say that I am hugely enjoying this game, thanks in large part the the amazing support on this forum.

Today I sent my first fuel truck up to my space station, rendezvoused easily and docked without M*chjeb. A few more trucks and I will be ready to start putting together my interplanetary shuttle.

None of which would have been possible without the patient help and useful tips provided by the people here. Thank you!