Russian parts [command pods, liquid-fuel boosters]

So, Sputnik was first satellite in Earth's orbit, Jurij Gagarin was first man in space [and orbit, Alan Shepard's Mercury ship was on suborbital trajectory], Walentina Tiereszkowa was first woman in space [the time she spent in space was longer than all the cosmonauts put together]. I'm sorry but Americans were not the first in the space.[h=1]

And, the KSP - there is a Mercury-style capsule [Mk1 Command Pod], NASA-style solid rocket boosters, almost everything is from American space program. From Soviet/Rosskosmos space program there is only Stayputnik [named after American Vangurad satellite]. Where's the liquid fuel boosters from Soyuz, Rounded Command Pods and many other things?[/h]

Probably you will say: mods. But mods are temporary. What if HGR will not be compatibile with 1.1 or later versions of KSP? Latest release is from 1.0.2! When mods breaks, many of the ships builded by players will not be loaded. I builds many ships in historic-style [because Kerbin is smaller than Earth and I must rescale my ships], it's hard for newbie [i play since May 2015]. And these hard-working projects will be probably lost. Devs, whether it is so difficult to adapt a few things to stock from the mods?

Except the soyuz LFBs, i don't really miss anything from the russian space program : sure, voskhod-like command pods would be cool, but spherical parts would fit very badly with the rest of the stock parts (how do you stick a round vostok to a 1.25m tank anyway? it would need a specific adapter, wich would be useful in this case only).

What has spaceflight history to do with the shape of the parts in KSP ? Agreed, at first it may look like the mk1 pod is the mercury analogue, and the Mk1-2 is Apollo CM, but after a while you understand that they are very different...

• 5 months later...

There is another thread not terribly old about the same subject.

You have to remember that the devs have limited manpower. Honestly---and I play exclusively with rockets, not planes---I think that any new rocket parts should have unique capabilities, so there are trade offs choosing one or another. In a perfect world we'd have complete sets that were Kerbal analogs. The stock pods certainly have the NASA design sense, but they are not direct copies. SO a set of Russian-inspired parts would be good, but they do not need to be direct copies.

On 8/23/2015 at 5:16 PM, passinglurker said:

I'd rather stock did it's own "kerbal" parts and left stock alike recreations of real world stuff to the mods.

Except that they already do stock alike recreations of real world stuff, and have for quite some time.

For ex, the Mk1 pod is clearly based off the Mercury pod. Not every space program starts out designing that shape of pod. Only NASA did. In fact, if you eliminate all the thing that our pods don't have (like heat shields and built-in RCS), they weigh within a few tens of kg of the same amount. By comparison, the Vostok 1 weighs 2 or 3 times that.

The Mk1-2 pod is most-likely based on the Apollo CM. Sure enough, if you eliminate things like heat shields and RCS thrusters, the mass is pretty close, despite being substantially different in diameter to fit the Kerbal universe.

Further still, the Mk3 parts. They're obviously based on the space shuttle.

And the SLS parts are obviously based on, well, the SLS.

And the claw, which is obviously based vaguely on the whole Asteroid redirect mission idea.

And the RCS thrusters, which look clearly inspired by Apollo.

Sure, the lander cans aren't exact replicas, but the real ones aren't exactly nice shapes that are easy to replicate.

Sure, the jets and the Mk2 system are mostly not replicas of anything, but keep in mind that they were added originally in a mod, and later revised upon absorption of another mod.

4 minutes ago, egoego said:

If the russians had a two man pod, I want that in KSP. I really miss a two kerbal pod at the moment (for rescue missions mainly).

I think the word you are looking for is Voskhod. (Even though it's a three-seater, we could have a 2-seat KSP version

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.