New Mercury Simulator coming out soon! - This is why I have so little time for KSP modding now ;)

Mulbin

I love it! It's awesome! You've put as much detail into this as you can- the same thing with your Munbugs. It really sets you apart. I hope that you and your family are doing well.

P.S. It's great to see a vestige of Apogee Shipworks in the logo.

20 hours ago, CAKE99 said:

Yay! A release!

Will there be a non-VR version?

Yes, within a week or two.  Working on it now, swapping out the VR cameras for standard field of view as well as altering some visual effects (what looks good on a monitor is different from what looks good in VR).

7 hours ago, Dman979 said:

I love it! It's awesome! You've put as much detail into this as you can- the same thing with your Munbugs. It really sets you apart. I hope that you and your family are doing well.

P.S. It's great to see a vestige of Apogee Shipworks in the logo.

I couldn't resist the logo ;)

We are Go For Launch!

Hey guys! I don't post here often, but I wanted to spread the word about a recent space simulator that has just entered the market. It's name is Go For Launch: Mercury. In order to save an entire forum post of space, here's the website and general information for the sim: http://goforlaunch.co.uk/

Taken from the website, Go For Launch: Mercury is a "fully immersive and interactive simulation of America’s first manned space program.". You are the commander of a Mercury capsule in the 1960's, set to launch into the newly explored area past the "Karman Line": Space. Take in the visuals around you as the capsule shakes and creaks as you liftoff into the cosmos on top of the Mercury-Redstone rocket (and soon to be Mercury-Atlas booster!).

This space simulator has just recently been released with (V)irtual (R)eality and Non-VR compatibility. Both versions of the DEMO are free to download and try out for yourself. They have even begun a Kickstarter campaign to raise some money to help further the development of the game into a full version of the simulator. If you enjoy Kerbal Space Program (which, to be honest, why else would you be on the forum?), you'll enjoy this little gem! The developers are even planning on making a Go For Launch: Gemini at some time in the future! So if you enjoy this type of thing, go help them out; they will make some pretty interesting things in the future!

-All images and videos shown in this post are owned by their respective owners. I am not cool enough to make something this awesome

-Fly safe, Noname115

6 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

You know this is being developed by a guy on the forums? But if you found it without the forums, that's awesome!

Oh wow really? I didn't know that! Congrats to him! I personally love this stuff, virtual reality simulators are pretty cool stuff!

6 hours ago, CliftonM said:

@Mulbin - Is there any plan to release a Mac version?

Yes, although it will take some work and optimisation first.  It's likely the monitor version will be on Mac but the VR may not be possible,  Macs are very nice desktop publishing / design machines (I use them for graphic design) but sadly they have terrible graphics cards that aren't powerful enough for high end VR.

I played the non-VR demo, it's great!

Also the controls don't do anything, I held W for ages to see if I could crash my rocket, but it didn't crash ;.;

BTW where's the navball? If it has one.

Does this have a twitter?

EDIT: Also, can you add something so the mouse can't go outside the GFL window while still controlling the view?

Edited by CAKE99
ze editz, ja

4 hours ago, Mulbin said:

Yes, although it will take some work and optimisation first.  It's likely the monitor version will be on Mac but the VR may not be possible,  Macs are very nice desktop publishing / design machines (I use them for graphic design) but sadly they have terrible graphics cards that aren't powerful enough for high end VR.

Yeah.  I know all about that.  I was looking into buying an Oculus Rift for adding VR support to my game...  It doesn't even support Mac because of the new push for integrated GPU/CPU.  What game engine are you using?

54 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Yeah.  I know all about that.  I was looking into buying an Oculus Rift for adding VR support to my game...  It doesn't even support Mac because of the new push for integrated GPU/CPU.  What game engine are you using?

Unity 5... all the best space games use unity 5 ;)

8 minutes ago, Mulbin said:

Unity 5... all the best space games use unity 5 ;)

Same as I've been using.  One piece of constructive criticism - I've noticed a tad bit of Z-Fighting.  It's gotten much better since the last video, but I thought I'd let you know.  I just looked at again and realized that it was the video.  It still looks really good.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

This is absolutely amazing. Would it eventually stop being free?

Yes, if their Kickstarter is successfully funded they will make a full copy of the game. As of now the demos are all there is. However with a little backing, they will eventually add in other Mercury missions such as Friendship 7!

13 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Awesome! I signed up. Now I just need an Oculus Rift. ;)

Same here. The recent virtual reality games that I've seen are making me want to buy one. Especially for the Apollo 11 Virtual Experience. I've seen videos on that one and was utterly blown away by it.

Hey, first: I LOVE the sim! It's really nice to see new ideas arising on the VR genre! :) Second: I do seem to have an issue with the Non-VR version of the demo. It seems to have a lag between the audio and in-game actions. For instance, the radio chatter is declaring "Tower Jettison Green!" but the game itself take about 4-6 seconds before it actually reaches that point in the simulation. Also, the sky outside the window doesn't darken as I ascend. I had this issue since I first downloaded the Non-VR demo. If there's any fix, that would be great, I love playing that thing; other than this little bug, the demo looks amazing! Great work!

On 11/03/2016 at 2:59 AM, Noname115 said:

Hey, first: I LOVE the sim! It's really nice to see new ideas arising on the VR genre! :) Second: I do seem to have an issue with the Non-VR version of the demo. It seems to have a lag between the audio and in-game actions. For instance, the radio chatter is declaring "Tower Jettison Green!" but the game itself take about 4-6 seconds before it actually reaches that point in the simulation. Also, the sky outside the window doesn't darken as I ascend. I had this issue since I first downloaded the Non-VR demo. If there's any fix, that would be great, I love playing that thing; other than this little bug, the demo looks amazing! Great work!

I'll take a look, thanks for the heads up!

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mulbin said:

Hah, yep.  I'm afraid it's the reason I probably won't get to build any new KSP craft for a loooong time :)

Wot? No Munbug XIII?!? ;.;

But anyway, I'm really looking forward this this space sim, too.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just to let you all know that my game, Go For Launch: Mercury is now available to pre-order via the indiegogo page below.  Don't worry about the crowd fund (although it is doing rather well :wink: ) as it does not need to get to the target to pay out.  So if you pre-order, you will get your game (and any other goodies you opt for).

Please note this is the last chance to get a mention in the credits or any of the other backer perks.

Any questions, feedback or suggestions please feel free to drop them on this thread.  After all this is a game by a KSPer for KSPers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.