Which one looks nicer; new Mk1 cockpit or old one

Falkenherz

Vote on the cockpit version you like  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Vote on the cockpit version you like

• Old Mk1 cockpit
    • New Mk1 cockpit

Because it would fit the theme better. Learjets can't survive reentry or high speeds. So, you could have a lower heat tolerance so that learjet like things cant go above mach 1.5 or so, where the fighter could. But, the learjet style fits the theme of a passenger plane.

The old Mk1 didn't look particularly fighter jet-ish to me. Fighters almost universally have bubble canopies for better visibility, the old one looked more like an x-plane or something.

I agree. It feels too bulky for a fighter cockpit. The more fighter-ish look would have the inline cockpit with NCS adapter and small nosecone

- - - Updated - - -

Because it would fit the theme better. Learjets can't survive reentry or high speeds. So, you could have a lower heat tolerance so that learjet like things cant go above mach 1.5 or so, where the fighter could. But, the learjet style fits the theme of a passenger plane.

Still, why would I use it? Building passenger planes with 1.25m parts doesn't actually achieve anything in the game.

There are quite a bit of different opinions on this, but I think we can all agree the new cockpit fits better in line with the rest of the space plane parts that Porkjet made. However, whether or not it properly replaces the current one is probably debatable. IMO, the showcased cockpit is a nice addition with lots of use case scenarios, but it doesn't really replace the spaceship/futuristic looking current one, which I think a lot of the fuzz is about. I think that if the current Mk1 is going to be remodeled, it should be more in line with what the current one represents.

I enjoyed the original, but I do like the new one. The 2-Kerbal passenger module thrown in is definitely the ice cream on my peach pie. With the modules that have been made of late, the original Mk 1 was starting to be quite the oddball.

I myself really love it, but I'm a bit concerned as to how some others will react, especially those who love fighters. The new Mk1 cockpit is really different (It looks more like a private jet cockpit IMHO,) and it doesn't seem to be a good replacement. Maybe keep both as parts?

Well, considering Squad is staying away from any militaristic feel to the game and leaving that up to the mods, then they definitely are doing it right. Those who love fighters can bring back the old in a mod or design a whole new cockpit to fill their needs.

I believe both cockpits - giving them significantly different stats - would be the right choice.

Say, make room for a navigator in the new one. Make it less durable, and not as heat-resistant. The old one goes for fighter jets, the new one for "utility" airplanes. Also, keep the old one in the upper branch of the dev tree (hypersonic/mk2) and the new in the lower (MK3).

New one for certain.

The people who like the old one probably like building fighter jets. While fighter jets shouldn't be discouraged that isn't the focus of the stock game, which is space travel. The new Mk1 better fits the stock focus and those that want to build outside the focus of the stock game should do so using mods.

Edited by Alshain

I enjoyed the original, but I do like the new one. The 2-Kerbal passenger module thrown in is definitely the ice cream on my peach pie. With the modules that have been made of late, the original Mk 1 was starting to be quite the oddball.

Well, considering Squad is staying away from any militaristic feel to the game and leaving that up to the mods, then they definitely are doing it right. Those who love fighters can bring back the old in a mod or design a whole new cockpit to fill their needs.

What about the x-planes that used that cockpit?

What about the x-planes that used that cockpit?

The X-Planes were/are Air Force. About as militaristic as you can get.

What really needs to happen, is Squad needs to compile ALL the historical parts, give them slightly different names where names would conflict, and then release it as an 'official' mod. Then people can use it if they want, they can pick out the parts they liked, and do whatever. Every time they retire a texture, the pack should be updated. Now that aerodynamics and other game breaking changes are done, it shouldn't need much more update beyond that.

Edited by Alshain

Both are OK, I think the redesign was just wholly unnecessary.

I could get behind making one of them a two-Kerbal pod, since that's something the game is calling out for. Tandem seating perhaps, since I'm not sure how well two Kerbals would fit side-by-side in a 1.25 m cylinder.

While keeping both the old and new cockpits would, I wager, increase loading-time by a fraction of a second, I do think it's a win for everyone to do so.

So if it's such a doozy, why wouldn't Squad do that?

I love the new design! The only thing I would change on it is remove the nosecone and add a 0.625 node instead. I just think it would be a bit more useful. Even if it added an extra part to the majority of craft. :P

Taking an educated guess, the reason it hasn't been done already is because it would change the compatibility of older craft files.

I propose a compromise... Keep the new one but give it more of a bubble canopy. This will be for space planes.

Then take the old Mk 1 and run it through a sander to buff out the hard edges and make it clip with the other Mk 1 parts better. This will be for atmospheric planes.

And for you fighter droolers, you should be using the new inline with explosive separator, tail adapter, and NCS adapter anyway, a la MiG.

The art on the new one is better--it has better mesh and textures--but if I had to pick I'd still have the old one. The new one just looks kind of dull, more like a business jet than a space ship, the old one looks like a 50's X-plane. I prefer the older, "right stuff" aesthetic, personally. I wish the old Mk1 could get an overhaul to bring it more up to the standards of the new one and the 1.0 Mk1 inline, but even if it doesn't, I'll still mod it back in to 1.1 if it isn't still included.

That said, the new one isn't bad, and ideally I'd like to have both. Ordinarily I'd say one more part can't hurt the memory footprint too badly, but in this case it's one more part and one more IVA to boot, and those are pretty heavy on the RAM, so I can see an argument for picking one over the other in the name of memory usage.

Also I have to agree that a 0.625-meter node at the sharp end instead of a built-in nose cone would be an improvement (especially if we could have a shielded Jr. docking port to put there).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.