Which one looks nicer; new Mk1 cockpit or old one

Falkenherz

Vote on the cockpit version you like  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Vote on the cockpit version you like

• Old Mk1 cockpit
    • New Mk1 cockpit

There's no reason to NOT keep both cockpits as separate parts.

The existing Mk1 cockpit is just fine as-is, but the new one would be cool to have too.

Well If we want to be blunt about it...

The old one looks like a pile of krap I hope hugo was an unpaid intern and anyone who thinks otherwise needs their eyes checked and their pilots licence revoked there I said it...

Honestly pester squad for a new fighter cockpit all you want but for the love of kraken don't make them keep that old piece of trash.

I also think that the new mk1 cockpit looks like it wants to be a 2-seater cockpit. I think a tweak as simple as changing the 3 panes of glass to all be a single pane would make it look more like a cockpit meant to house only one kerbal. I like to put a mk1 cockpit with a mk1 inline directly following that to make mk1 planes that seat 2 kerbals, and I'm afraid the new cockpits will look weird in that configuration.

I certainly agree that they should just keep both, aesthetically they serve completely different purposes. Having a private jet style craft is indeed the direction the game is going, but are we forgetting Jeb's shenanigans? The game wouldn't be the same without it's 'ace pilots'.

Same opinion as a few others. The question isn't just which looks better. It's what looks better for its purpose.

For a fighter cockpit, the old one works well.

For a supersonic cockpit, that could go to space, the new one works extremely well.

Purely in looks, textures, and models, the new one looks better.

I like the new one better. We'll be able to make some small shuttles that actually look the part. For instance, it resembles a Dreamchaser cockpit more than any other part in the game. Some people will miss it, but the inline cockpit always seemed a better option for fighters anyway.

passinglurker, aesthetics are a subjective topic, please don't insult the opinions of others so dismissively.

I'd edit it if the forum didn't eat my messages when I'm on mobile, but alas the phone forums seem to be bugged.

But you gotta admit the fans freak the hardest every time squid wants to change or replace a part these days we'll never get a proper re balance or art revamp if this keeps up because some one some where will think a change spoils thier current ship.

I certainly agree that they should just keep both, aesthetically they serve completely different purposes. Having a private jet style craft is indeed the direction the game is going, but are we forgetting Jeb's shenanigans? The game wouldn't be the same without it's 'ace pilots'.

Hmm... Interesting idea which i would agree with. We have multiple one-man capsules, why not add an extra one-man cockpit? And at the same time why don't you remove the nosecone of the lear-jet capsule and make it a 0.625 node? I don't know of anyone who would complain about that. In fact I know a handful of people who would probably like it removed as well... Rune/GusTurbo/MajorJim/Zekes do you have preferences to keep the nosecone? I don't want to speak for you guys. :P

Nosecone removal = nope. We get 0.625 nosecone later than 1.25m cockpit, so what would I attach there? A chute?

That wouldn't be an issue though as I was talking about making it a secondary cockpit, not a replacement. It could be placed in the tech tree after you would have unlocked the 0.625 nosecone. Quoting maxmaps on this from last weeks Squadcast:

"We are hearing you guys saying that hey maybe just make a different Mk1 because we love the current Mk1. That's something we need to analyze but, we're open to it" (18:50)

TL;DR having the new Mk1 as a secondary option isn't all that unorthodox of a thought. It's up in the waters in fact.

Hey, does anyone know if the current cockpit directly replaces the old or is it just a texture and model change?

It sounds like it's a re-texture and remodel. I hope it becomes a secondary option though. :P More the merrier they always say

Hey Guys? Hey? Hey! OI!

I gots mes an idea.

What if we take the new mk1 cockpit...

...And double its size! BAM! now we have a beautiful 2.5m cockpit, and both cockpits are kept and serve their own legitimate purposes!

WHOA! I know, right? AMAZING idea! (Not to brag) :P:D

Edited by quasarrgames

Here's another idea: how about we rename the damned pods and cockpits?

Mk1 pod? Mk1 cockpit? Mk1-2 pod? Really? That the best we can do? Can't they have names like the engines? Like the Mk1 Hermes pod, or Mk1-2 Phoebus pod, etc?

(every time I see this poll, I can't help but think of the mk1 pod)

:/

Mk1 pod? Mk1 cockpit? Mk1-2 pod? Really? That the best we can do? Can't they have names like the engines? Like the Mk1 Hermes pod, or Mk1-2 Phoebus pod, etc?

name revision like they did for the engines? that would certainly help

Well If we want to be blunt about it...

The old one looks like a pile of krap I hope hugo was an unpaid intern and anyone who thinks otherwise needs their eyes checked and their pilots licence revoked there I said it...

Honestly pester squad for a new fighter cockpit all you want but for the love of kraken don't make them keep that old piece of trash.

If you really desperately hate it, then you can just.. not use it..

Or if you're incredibly scratching your hair and your eyes bleed just looking at it, you can delete it from the Squad folder.

Why get rid of the original MK1? I think they should offer both styles and just tweak the stats a little. One looks military and the other looks civilian. I fly IVA and some of the multi-window cockpits are impossible to see out of properly. All they have to do is not get rid of it and everyone will be happy.

If you really desperately hate it, then you can just.. not use it..

Or if you're incredibly scratching your hair and your eyes bleed just looking at it, you can delete it from the Squad folder.

if someone doesn't show some hate for the thing squad would never be able to throw anything away every old ugly part they revamp will clung to by fans for one reason or another the only way is to rip the band aid off and get it over with we'll have forgotten the old cockpit by about a month after it was replaced.

But you gotta admit the fans freak the hardest every time squid wants to change or replace a part these days we'll never get a proper re balance or art revamp if this keeps up because some one some where will think a change spoils thier current ship.
Yeah, sure. That's what everyone does with a "released" product, right? Revamp all the things, replace everything, break saves and crafts! Woooooo!

I approve of this simple but effective improvement.

Yeah, sure. That's what everyone does with a "released" product, right? Revamp all the things, replace everything, break saves and crafts! Woooooo!

Use a mod :P it's their job to provide you with every cockpit style under the sun until you run out of ram

I'll agree this should have happened a long time ago and before 1.0 but it can't be helped now the difference in art quality Is a glaring blight for ksp every one calls for this difference to be corrected but they have to accept the consequences that parts will change in ways some one won't like and no the last thing we can do is keep both versions use the kerbal historical institute mod if an ugly old part means that much to you.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.