[1.8-1.12] Kethane Plugin and Parts 0.11.0 - Now with background scanning.

taniwha

Hmm, I'm not certain, but I think it might be hexes. I need to take a look.

However, if you're willing to do a bit of coding (especially dealing with the increase in data for save/load for the really advanced option) you can create your own deposit generator (and thus your own rules). As a more advanced generator, you can have full control at the cell level (again, I've forgotten the details: I looked a while back when I made EL talk to Kethane directly).

@taniwha Yeah I'm willing. I assume MinVertices and MaxVertices determine the cell size and therefore a bubble deposit's size is how many of these cells fit into it (makes perfect sense if that's the case)... I assume players change these values for themselves as the defaults seem too low to populate a grid with so many cells as I've seen in some screenshots.

At the mention of EL, do I have to write Kethane-style MetalOre distributions? The planet packs already (will) have CRP-style MetalOre configs and will encourage the use of CRP.

I keep thinking of the old orange overlay bubbles...which were actually a feature of karbonite.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

14 hours ago, taniwha said:

You should My next question is which ones did you delete? (or easier, which one remains?) You did keep the windows one, right? (I checked your screenshot for that)

I have win7 i kept the windows.ksp file and deleted the mac and linux files. I've tried about everything.

@jimmyjack: ok, it sounds like you have done everything right. I need your KSP.log of a session (just startup and exit is fine).

@JadeOfMaar MinVertices and MaxVertices determine the shape of the deposit. It is MinRadius and MaxRadius that determine the size. If you are looking at Kethane's code, check out Kethane/Plugin/Kethane/Generators/LegacyResourceGenerator.cs. However, the deposits are simple polygons (vertices are evenly distributed around the circle) with random radii for each vertex, then scaled up to be the appropriate radius.

Also, I found the units: radius is in degrees latitude or longitude (nasty near poles, but the legacy generator steers clear of poles anyway). If I remember correctly (Majiir mentioned it long ago), hexes are about 30km on Kerbin, so a hex would be about 3 degrees (for any body). Also, there are 12 pentagons: two at the poles and 10 scattered around the +/- 30-ish latitude (the vertices of a D20).

As for creating your own config: if it's a new resource, you will need to create your own KethaneResource node for each resource, but if you are only modifying existing ones, you can get away with MM patches.

23 minutes ago, Psychokiller1888 said:

Hi!

I don't get what i'm doing wrong. I don't see colors I know (deuthan here) but still, I'm pretty sure my grid doesn't show anything...

uLXvy.png

Been scanning Duna for hours, and that's what I see all around the planet. What do I do wrong?

You take 30 seconds to read back a little bit.  The answer is all over the place, it is literally talked about 2 posts above yours.  Then you remove the appropriate files based on what OS you are running.

• 2 weeks later...

@taniwha Finally got around to experimenting. My eye's not too sharp yet for fine details like the size of a hexagon but for the time being I just want the DepositCount to actually work. There are some worlds that I want to have nearly no deposits, and some to have quite a few. Any pokes at what I did wrong here would be welcome.

@KethaneResource
{
	@ColorFull = 0.6, 0.4, 1.0
	@ColorEmpty = 0.2, 0.05, 0.2
	-Generator:HAS[#name[LegacyResourceGenerator]]
	+Generator
	{	
		name = GalileanKethane
		MinRadius = 7.29
		MaxRadius = 16.2
		MinQuantity = 10000
		MaxQuantity = 500000
		MinVertices = 20
		MaxVertices = 80
		RadiusVariance = 0.45
		DepositCount = 10
		NumberOfTries = 20

And now some screenshots of the mod in a useable state.

KchCrQv.jpg

SxxuqTW.jpg

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@taniwha Finally got around to experimenting. My eye's not too sharp yet for fine details like the size of a hexagon but for the time being I just want the DepositCount to actually work. There are some worlds that I want to have nearly no deposits, and some to have quite a few. Any pokes at what I did wrong here would be welcome.

Cool! I was hoping to get Kethane working with To Boldly Go at some point

@seanth I don't think you need to configure anything for Kethane to work with any planet mod. However, I'm being quite particular about how much will be available on specific planets.

I wonder, though.... Is there a switch or patch for background scanning capability?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2016 at 7:59 AM, taniwha said:

This is a shader issue. Kethane looks for the shader in its dll (as a resource). I've put (for my own sanity) a Makefile in the top level directory of the Kethane tree, and a few others in strategic places, such that you can do just

make KSPDIR=path/to/ksp install

Note that you will need quotes around the path if it has spaces, and even on windows you need to use / instead of \ as the directory separator (little known fact: Windows and even DOS has always supported / as the directory separator, it's only the UI (including command.com) that insists on \). Also, you will need gnu make and mono to use the Makefile.

Anyway, if you look in Plugin/Kethane/Makefile, you'll see how the dll is built.

I am having this problem as well, and do not understand at all what I am supposed to do to fix it.  Can someone please explain?

Edited by CheckYoStaging
Nevermind, fixed it.

20 hours ago, CheckYoStaging said:

I am having this problem as well, and do not understand at all what I am supposed to do to fix it.  Can someone please explain?

I'm sorry, but because the post you quoted is rather out of date, just what problem are you having? If it's a magenta hex-grid overlay, then the solution is to delete the two kethane-*.ksp files (in GameData/Kethane) that are not for your platform (eg, if your platform is windows, delete kethane-linux.ksp and kethane-macosx.ksp), or deleting two, keep the one that is for your platform.

2 hours ago, taniwha said:

@SparkyFox: No. First, I'm not sure I can (I don't own the files), and second, when I looked at the model in blender, the nightmares returned (to be fair, I was still struggling with ship editing when the models were switched).

What is the usage license associated with the models etc? Are they not on github because of license questions?

19 minutes ago, taniwha said:

They are All Rights Reserved, and yes, that's why they're not on github. Check LICENSE.md in GameData/Kethane for details.

I had thought Majiir transferred everything to you.

7 minutes ago, seanth said:

I had thought Majiir transferred everything to you.

You have to go back to the source.  The problem is Majir didn't hold the licenses to the original models.  If I understand correctly Taniwha would have to get permission from them.

https://github.com/Majiir/Kethane/blob/master/LICENSE.md

It is a bit rough, but at least the licensing on all the relevant code (both Kethane itself and the geodesic grid) are under a useful license. Kethane has been around for a very long time, longer even than explicit licenses have been required for posting mods on the forums. When the requirement came in, ARR licenses were the norm rather than the exception (and having no license means ARR).

I am rather curious about why you want the old radial drill. I looked, but I don't have the texture (oldest Kethane zip I have is 0.8.1).

@taniwha ahh... thanks anyway though. I originally installed kethane back on 0.25? or 0.23.5?-anyhoo. While I was trying to fix the pink grid thing I noticed in the parts folder that there was 3 drill folders, one of them only had the .mu file(finding out that it was still functional and it wasn't showing up in the parts list is a different story), so that's how I noticed in the first place and I had seen that you were the new maintainer I thought you were the best person to ask, but again, thanks for letting me know.

Edited by SparkyFox