"Plan Kappa" - A KSP graphic novel (Jeb is back in Chapter 53! Well, kinda.)

Parkaboy

Oh, Stelrine ... don't you know that when your only tool is an exotic-matter-powered trans-dimensional wormhole generator, all your problems start looking like interstitial spacetime fissures?

On a much more serious note, the purple-tinted hurricane whirlpool is absolutely captivating.  I had to remind myself to read the words in that panel.  That was a truly marvellous feature:  top marks.

Hey, folks! I'm glad there's still someone paying attention to this comic.

But I have some bad news. I've been having issues with KSP on my computer since last week. At first, it was just the newest install taking forever to load and being very laggy, so I ended up taking the chance to play with my buggy 1.1.2 install, which contained Plan Kappa. But after I posted the latest chapter, the same issue started happening with the old install. Now I can only get it to work after 10 minutes loading, and even so I can't access the Plan Kappa save (or its backup), because the "load save game" button isn't working. Does anyone have any idea about what may be causing this? I'm at a loss.

Is there anything unusual (that is error messages) if you press Alt+F2 (or Alt+F12 for 1.2 and newer versions) during landing loading? Maybe you got some file access issue or something (also try "run program as admin", if it works double check the security settings on the folder KSP is installed into - if there is an issue with that KSP may end up loading no parts at all or doing something equally stupid)

14 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

Does anyone have any idea about what may be causing this? I'm at a loss.

No idea what causes it, but if it were me I'd make a new folder or even a new install, clear out any extraneous files, and just copy in the persistence.sfs you want. Hopefully that loads, and you can then copy in ships and what else you need from there.

1 hour ago, Alchemist said:

Is there anything unusual (that is error messages) if you press Alt+F2 (or Alt+F12 for 1.2 and newer versions) during landing loading? Maybe you got some file access issue or something (also try "run program as admin", if it works double check the security settings on the folder KSP is installed into - if there is an issue with that KSP may end up loading no parts at all or doing something equally stupid)

Tried the Alt+F2 method, and noticed there are a bunch of errors related to the Pathfinder/Buffalo mods. But where the loading gets stuck is while loading the Kspedia assets, and the big issue is that after clicking "Resume Save Game" in the main menu, I get an empty list, as if there were no saved games in the folder.

I tried running the program as admin, changing the game folder from "read only", not to mention disabling my antivirus and my internet connection, and also did a throrough clean up of the drive, and updated the graphics driver. I think Kuzzter's solution might be a good idea, but I don't know when I'll have the time for that.

6 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

Tried the Alt+F2 method, and noticed there are a bunch of errors related to the Pathfinder/Buffalo mods. But where the loading gets stuck is while loading the Kspedia assets, and the big issue is that after clicking "Resume Save Game" in the main menu, I get an empty list, as if there were no saved games in the folder.

I tried running the program as admin, changing the game folder from "read only", not to mention disabling my antivirus and my internet connection, and also did a throrough clean up of the drive, and updated the graphics driver. I think Kuzzter's solution might be a good idea, but I don't know when I'll have the time for that.

You're running KSP 1.1.2? I fixed several errors in the updates since then...

If the Load Save button isn't working, I agree with above - you probably have an incomplete persistence file somewhere in the save folder (or quicksave). Copy everything that's there (backups!), delete it all (the stuff in KSP/saves, not the backups!), then try to start a new save. If that works you'll need to figure out what from the old stuff is borked and only copy the good persistence files back in. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Good news, everybody! After Cydonian Monk's advice, I realized what the issue with the save probably was: the game crashed the last time I played it, so it probably generated a messed up file. So I just replaced the persistence with the last quicksave and everything is back to normal (except for the long loading times, I can't figure out those). I'm beating myself up for not realising that sooner. Thank you all very much and we'll be back with a new chapter soon!

45 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

Good news, everybody! After Cydonian Monk's advice, I realized what the issue with the save probably was: the game crashed the last time I played it, so it probably generated a messed up file. So I just replaced the persistence with the last quicksave and everything is back to normal (except for the long loading times, I can't figure out those). I'm beating myself up for not realising that sooner. Thank you all very much and we'll be back with a new chapter soon!

Awesome news!!!!  :D

1 hour ago, Parkaboy said:

Backup the backups. In triplicate.

Rune. Close calls are IT's way of saying "when was the last time you saved everything to a backup disk?".

Yeah, I once also had a crash that ate half the persistence file (literally - half the file was blank lines). Good thing we have automatic backups now. Glad you got it working. From anomaly that eats planets to anomaly that eats saves - that went terribly right.

And now there's a crack between when Kerbin and Eve were... If the ends of this crack still are orbiting, then Moho wouldn't be safe either and let's just hope the anomaly can't eat the star

I think it would be interesting to have a look inside that rift. If the energy surrounding it were removed, then I'm sure it would be very interesting to see outside spacetime itself. Of course, if it's similar to a black hole (which seems likely at the moment), by the time you saw inside it you would be unable to leave.