[1.4.X] Taerobee - Stockalike X-1 and More [27/01/2017]

Beale

Woohoo! Downloading!

For the V-2, I'd ask that you make the engine separately from the shroud (indeed, it'd be awesome if that were the case for the XLR11 as well), so it can be used for any rocket, not just its "designer purpose."

Also, Scott Manley points out that you really should have a broom handle in the IVA. :)

For reference:

Woohoo! Downloading!

For the V-2, I'd ask that you make the engine separately from the shroud (indeed, it'd be awesome if that were the case for the XLR11 as well), so it can be used for any rocket, not just its "designer purpose."

Also, Scott Manley points out that you really should have a broom handle in the IVA. :)

For reference:

Many thanks!

Shroudless engines will be added, why not :)

The XLR11 especially is very pretty to look at.

I like the idea of functional switches in IVA, but MFDs is silly in an X-1

I'll tell you what is silly in an X-1, the fact that it is very nearly an SSTO :wink:

e8582a14e7.jpg

On a more serious note, I am thinking some form of IVA extras will be nice. Even if no MFD, the other JSI props are still very nice to have.

Saw this one on Reddit first for once, glad to find the thread. Makes a really good early tech cockpit.

Is it wrong that my first thought is to go the Flash Gordon route and use it as a rocket capsule? :D

Great work Beale.

Many thanks! Glad it is enjoyed, go for the Flash Gordon route and follow your heart!

On a more serious note, I am thinking some form of IVA extras will be nice. Even if no MFD, the other JSI props are still very nice to have.

Many thanks! Glad it is enjoyed, go for the Flash Gordon route and follow your heart!

Congrats on the release. Here is an analog cockpit made with the aset props.

. From this thread.

kinda understandable when you remember swept wings were a key to going supersonic yet the the bell x1 has straight wings. Very very thin straight wings that far might not simulate correctly even if we had them ;)

I know, the wavedrag and cross section looked atrocious in the editor

I know, the wavedrag and cross section looked atrocious in the editor

the bell wasn't all that "innovative" if you think about it. Just an overkill sheer brute force application of conventional thinking for the period (they modeled the body after a .50cal bullet an object they knew broke the speed of sound for pete's sake) naturally they wouldn't make a perfect supersonic record breaker on their first try ;)

Hooray! Now to break out the kerb paint... ;)
Needs moar orange!

Lol looks great man. Nice addition to my collection

I second this.

Rockomax orange would be a close fit

This is awesome and just what I wanted, but can the X-1 be in Orange?
The later X-1s were indeed painted white, but it would be nice to have orange as an option.
Hopefully we can get an alternate texture for an orange X-1.

Beale usually uploads the source photoshop files for the textures he makes to a dropbox repository in his signature. One enterprising replica maker would simply need to make a change to the base color layer, re export it, and share the result with others.

So I built an X-1 clone, and boy does it hate going supersonic in FAR

http://imgur.com/a/AVaI0

Oh nice!

It's quite pleasing that it has semi-realistic performance in FAR, but I think the engine still needs a bit of a Nerf.

Awh man so the "Beale X-1" title isn't meant to be, eh?

Would be a little self indulgent eh? :wink:

Congrats Beale. :D

Many thanks!

Beale usually uploads the source photoshop files for the textures he makes to a dropbox repository in his signature. One enterprising replica maker would simply need to make a change to the base color layer, re export it, and share the result with others.

Orange

Base texture available now in signature!

Can't wait to see if people cook up some Orange remixes! :)

Speaking of engine, as suggested: An unclad version.

Would fit great with 0.3125m.

But I am torn, 0.3125m is half 0.625m and fits nicely, but is very close to a Æ‘oot, US unit of measurement, which could be funny to adopt.

Eh, but this is kind of strange business... not entirely sure if I would include this new size with stockalike pack by extra (Maybe include an "extras" folder).

For this too, an Aerobee might be as large as 0.625m in diameter for the sake of compatibility.

14a775445e.jpg

fe728b9708.jpg

fc247e662b.jpg

Falcon nine? :P

925604aa92.jpg

Edited by Beale

Speaking of engine, as suggested: An unclad version.

Would fit great with 0.3125m.

But I am torn, 0.3125m is half 0.625m and fits nicely, but is very close to a Æ‘oot, US unit of measurement, which could be funny to adopt.

Eh, but this is kind of strange business... not entirely sure if I would include this new size with stockalike pack by extra (Maybe include an "extras" folder).

For this too, an Aerobee might be as large as 0.625m in diameter for the sake of compatibility.

http://puu.sh/jYAsR/14a775445e.jpg

http://puu.sh/jYAuk/fe728b9708.jpg

http://puu.sh/jYAQZ/fc247e662b.jpg

Falcon nine? :P

http://puu.sh/jYB8l/925604aa92.jpg

0.3125m is already used by two other sounding rocket mods so it has about as much adoption as 1.875m and more than 0.9375m I think you'd be fine as long as you keep the shrouded version around for those who want to trim out extra sizes.

0.3125m is already used by two other sounding rocket mods so it has about as much adoption as 1.875m and more than 0.9375m I think you'd be fine as long as you keep the shrouded version around for those who want to trim out extra sizes.

Huh!

I did not know that, probably a better size to use then.

The only sounding rocket mod I knew of uses 0.35m

Anyway, this very small size isn't a huge problem if the engine is surface attachable.

Also, here is a very quick and dirty orange X-1.

It's very very easy to create this as long as you have access to Photoshop/Gimp. Just use the paint can tool on the layer "b".

3be28a024f.jpg

Edited by Beale

Huh!

I did not know that, probably a better size to use then.

The only sounding rocket mod I knew of uses 0.35m

Anyway, this very small size isn't a huge problem if the engine is surface attachable.

oh my bad I assumed roverdude used 0.3125m any way the other one is here though this split does bring what size to adopt more into question unfortunatly...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.