[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

Not sure what the ALT equivalant is on the mac - as for what direction, not sure off the top of my head - but this is just the standard KSP rotation controls, nothing special.

And the 'T' is for KAS/KIS - I assumed the OP was referring to the VAB?

Edited by RoverDude

Yep, I also refer to VAB. But, I do not know if KIS/KAS has an influence on part attachment in VAB/SPH.

EDIT: After reflexion, I use EEX (Editor extension) too. The "T" key switch is from its config.

Edited by Vive_moi

Hi Really new to KSP but found this Awesome mod which just looks amazing !

OK so my Question is I really would like to get this rover to Minmus, as that is where i have started to land things but no idea how to get this thing landed on Minmus!

Can anyone point me in the right direction or a video to get this there ?

Many thanks 

17 hours ago, psvialli said:

OK so my Question is I really would like to get this rover to Minmus, as that is where i have started to land things but no idea how to get this thing landed on Minmus!

Can anyone point me in the right direction or a video to get this there ?

Hello psvialli,

There are different approaches to do the landing, I see basically two of them:

1. Land with the bottom, then decouple and flip, using a traditional engine
  2. Land on the belly, using the Karibou VTOL Descent Engines

Normally I combine both of them, burning my descent stage attached to the bottom, then decoupling it and switching into the VTOL mode. The latter one is a bit tricky, because you'll have to care for the right balance during construction:

• Go to the SPH, build your Karibou, including two VTOL modules.
  • Display CoT and CoM.
  • Adjust the Thrust Limiter of one of the VTOLs until CoT and CoM are in line.

During descent it is tricky to switch the orientation of the SAS in the direction of the VTOLs. If you put the Karibou Radial Probe on its roof, you can switch to "control from here", giving you the right orientation. The Karibou is very robust (45m/s), so it normally survives even rude landings.

Hope that helps. I on my side will have to learn to insert images into my posts...

Is there any progress on the wheels? At the moment they can't retract/deploy even the F5/F9 workaround does not work.

And without being able to retrakt them it is hart to get the rover off Kerbin.

37 minutes ago, Maestro22 said:

There are different approaches to do the landing, I see basically two of them:

1. Land with the bottom, then decouple and flip, using a traditional engine..

In Minmus's tiny gravity you can adopt the less graceful option of landing bottom-first and falling over wheels-down - especially if you have plenty of RCS to cushion the fall. (Don't do this if your descent stage is also to be used for ascent, obviously).

@psvialli - if your question wasn't specifically about landing, one approach is to build a long thin rover (easy with the Karibou) and encase it in a fairing. On both my off-Kerbin Elcano missions I used an interstage procedural fairing with a crewed nosecone in front of it. This means there can be a launch abort system (whereas a kerbal trapped in a rover in a fairing would be killed during a launch incident). Once the ship's in vacuum I pop off half the interstage fairing (which you can do with Procedural Fairings), crew transfer to the rover, and the nosecone is then shoved off with the other half of the fairing, which saves a bit of transfer mass.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/games/ksp/elcano-rover-4-unfairing.png shows a rover on the end of a (ridiculously overspecified) transfer stage after fairing ejection: it looked like http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/games/ksp/elcano-rover-3-takeoff.png at takeoff.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tryed many things but this isnt downloading properly! I have redownloaded a few times. The only thing popping up is the Kolonization tab and a single drill. Try putting the Part Files in folder form like the rest of the parts in USI;.;;.;

Edit:I got it fixed. Hoping to put ore USI mods on my computer. :):kiss:

Edited by DiamondKSP52
Fixed problem

• 2 weeks later...

First let me say, I love the Karibou, great model, the wheels are a bit funky, but in every way your parts have made my KSP surface exploration more entertaining.

Hopefully I'm not re-asking an existing question here.  I accepted a contract to land an outpost on Minmus.  I built an awesome conglomeration of parts, including the Karibou VTOL engines and the Karibou rover wheels.  I landed it on Minmus with like 500dV of fuel to spare!  Now everything in the contract is completed, except for the part requirement "Have motorized wheels."  Looking at my save file under that contract I have

PARAM
                {
                    name = MobileBaseParameter
                    state = Incomplete
                    disableOnStateChange = False
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                }

I don't know if it is possible to work around this so that your wheel parts satisfy this requirement, but it would be handy if they did.  For now I will probably just fudge my save file and move on, but I thought I'd mention it here in case it was an easy fix.

Thanks again for the awesome mods, keep up the great work!

rKoTj2M.png

That seems like an odd requirement. Is it a stock mission? I think all non-aircraft wheels are motorized. You can turn motors on and off on them, but if you don't have at last 1 on, then the craft won't move. And I see no horizontal thrusters on that thing

@Vorg I'm not sure if it is a stock contract or not, I do have the SCANSat and Grand Tours contract packs installed.

I had a fuel tank with a Poodle for my transfer/capture/deorbit stage, just blew it off at the last minute because it was empty and it was throwing off my balance with the VTOL thrusters.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Krist said:

You can make very nice landers with this. The cargo bay just begs to be used for a rover. But which rover will fit? The packrat is to big...

I’ve done a couple of science-experiment autonomous rovers that fit.  The basic idea being that the Karibou is a mobile base, but it's a bit big and bulky to get everywhere.  So you get it to a decent central location, then send the rover platform out to run experiments and come back to the base.  I’m not sure if you can build one that holds a Kerbal that will fit though.

3 hours ago, Krist said:

You can make very nice landers with this. The cargo bay just begs to be used for a rover. But which rover will fit? The packrat is to big...

Roverdude already has that covered with his upcoming Akita rover. 

Hmm image won't post from my phone. Just google it for images

Edited by goldenpsp

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

There is a workaround I found on the Karibou's Github. I confirm it works on my heavy modded install.

lucbk commented 9 days ago

The correct fix in KER_Wheel_01.cfg is (module ModuleWheelDeployment):

animationTrfName = RoverWheel2_C
animationStateName = StowKaribouWheels

This should work well.

See you,

Vive_moi

Edited by Vive_moi
Add Github link