I bought this game 6 months ago, quit because i couldn't get past the tutorials. i wana get back

modybird

Central

Ok, six hours behind me. I will add you dude and if I'm on when you are (maybe not likely) I am happy to help with anything KSP. I remember those first days.. I could have so easily given up had I not been playing for the first time at the same time as a friend. All will become clear.

twitch.tv/dasvaldez

Kerbal Space Academy. This will get you playing KSP.

Scott Manley also made a

My advice is to start a science mode career, and hold down Alt+F12 for 10 seconds to hack in lots of science. Then, learn to use the available parts, unlock some, and repeat.

Ok, six hours behind me. I will add you dude and if I'm on when you are (maybe not likely) I am happy to help with anything KSP. I remember those first days.. I could have so easily given up had I not been playing for the first time at the same time as a friend. All will become clear.

ok ill be on tomorrow

I learned by playing the science mode. You can't go bankrupt and you are not overwhelmed with a gazillion parts to try to figure out what they do.

As others said, watch Dasvaldez or Manley. Lots of good YouTube content/tutorials out there too.

Very fun but difficult game.

can some people add me on steam and help me get back into the game? like help me do the tutorials. my steam name is ModyBird

My advice to you is to forget the tutorials. Go right into the game, and learn yourself.

In my experience, the tutorials are buggy and lead to much frustration.

Best place to start is sandbox mode like we did before science mode even existed. Watch some videos to get an idea of how the parts work together and get into the VAB. Trial and error is the best teacher. You've even got it way easier than we did back when I started in 0.20.

Good luck and godspeed.

I recommend scott manley tutorials.

I learned by playing sandbox and launching rockets and exploding them (and... I had mechjeb for a long time, then in 0.17 it wasn't transfering me to planets as I though it should, quit MJ, learned from it, now I'm here MJ free :P) back in 0.14.3.

I didn't play tutorials because... well... there were none

Squad has stated the current tutorials are long since expired with the current update. There is work being done on them to bring them up to date and actually become more helpful, but that is going to be a ways down the road with more focus being on upgrading to Unity 5 and related projects. In the meantime, Youtube is a fantastic resource for getting pointers, and if you do have KSP on Steam, there are groups there to join in and find players to give you help as well. It should be said, though, to not go in blindly. Sadly, Steam is vulnerable to hackers and the like who take over gamer's accounts to scam you for your own and any info you can give to aid them fill their pocketbooks. Unless you know them very well, act warily if you get asked questions that should not be asked. Common sense aids you in this, do not ignore it.

That being said, I suggest practice, practice, practice. In the end, you are the player, and teaching yourself is going to be the best resource. It ain't easy, but the reward is so much bigger. But that doesn't mean a little help now and then is not to be passed on. Scott Manley and kurtjmac are two folks I definitely recommend. Scott gives you deeper insight into the inner workings of rockets and orbits and such. kurtjmac gives you a feel for learning alongside him which can be a help, as well.

Fair warning, try to avoid the comments. Youtube comments are commonly dens of darkness and suck that will do you no favors. Tread at your own risk.

Edited by samstarman5

i recommend to just go to the VAB and just start launching stuff to figure it out (its also fun to make explosions). if you're willing to watch a couple hours of videos before you start actually playing then i recommend to watch any tutorial for 1.0.2 and 1.0.4 (you can even go to 1.0 even though its slightly dated), however Scott Manley's videos i think are the best and most entertaining. How i started playing was watching most of Scott Manley's Interstellar Quest video series, but they are from .90 and i think also .23 and it's also many many hours long(100+ episodes at ~40 minutes each).

the learning curve to this game is pretty big and you'll never stop learning but once you get into orbit you'll start having alot more fun. i highly recommend using the mod Kerbal Engineer Redux since it will show you ISP(efficiency), delta v(simply put, how much you can change your speed), thrust and mass, as well as a bunch of other useful bits of information

.... hold down Alt+F12 for 10 seconds to hack in lots of science...

wait wait wait, what is that, I never heard about that. Can you explain? You're not talking about the AltGr+F12 debug window here, right?

thanks in advance

wait wait wait, what is that, I never heard about that. Can you explain? You're not talking about the AltGr+F12 debug window here, right?

thanks in advance

I'm not sure what he means- I know you can edit the persistance file for science, but im not sure what he means... joking?

I didn't spend much time on the tutorials. I preferred to set up a sandbox game and learn through experimenting. I tried different stuff out to see what worked and what didn't. Any time I wasn't sure of how to do something, I looked it up on the forums.

It might be easier to skip the tutorials and get streight into the VAB and launch some splosions

Definitely this. My learning process was:

1. Make a rocket a go straigt up.
  2. Fall down. What?
  3. Look up online that I need to go sideways, along the rotation preferably.
  4. Orbited rater easily the first day.
  5. Tried to go to Mun, not enough fuel with my crappy skills.
  6. Found asparagus staging on the forums.
  7. Landed on the Mun on the 3rd day.
  8. Improve and miniaturize to go everywhere eventually.

Trying out thigs is the most enjoyable part of the game, don't deprieve yourself of it.

Definitely this. My learning process was:

1. Make a rocket a go straigt up.
  2. Fall down. What?
  3. Look up online that I need to go sideways, along the rotation preferably.
  4. Orbited rater easily the first day.
  5. Tried to go to Mun, not enough fuel with my crappy skills.
  6. Found asparagus staging on the forums.
  7. Landed on the Mun on the 3rd day.
  8. Improve and miniaturize to go everywhere eventually.

Trying out thigs is the most enjoyable part of the game, don't deprieve yourself of it.

exactly, just insert the following after point 7:

8. get stranded on the mun

9. rescue mission

:D