[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

Ok, I just finished playing around with this mod a bit, and I must say - the part textures and attachment are wonderful!

However, I'm having trouble getting the center of mass and center of lift close enough on my mini-shuttle for stable aerodynamic flight. Seems the nosecone in this part pack doesn't generate lift? I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if it isn't supposed to, but without that lift, the COL seems determined to hang out near the engines.

I got excited when I saw this, then I installed it and found with great disappointment it has LFO. Sorry, but I'm going to have to uninstall it for now till that gets fixed, but my shuttles don't have LFO on them, that is what the external tank is for and the length of that required tank if I empty it is just wasteful. Add a monopropellant option and I will be very interested. (You could use the FSSwitch module, if you don't mind including Firespitter as a dependency).

I also suggest losing the angled RCS jets, that is just impossible to balance that way. I know the real shuttle had them, but we can't control our RCS jets that well in KSP and those angled jets will fire when translating left and right. They need to be straight up and down.

Edited by Alshain

Ok, I just finished playing around with this mod a bit, and I must say - the part textures and attachment are wonderful!

However, I'm having trouble getting the center of mass and center of lift close enough on my mini-shuttle for stable aerodynamic flight. Seems the nosecone in this part pack doesn't generate lift? I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if it isn't supposed to, but without that lift, the COL seems determined to hang out near the engines.

I didn't do much testing on the mini-shuttle size. Correct that the nosecone doesn't have any added lift right now. I left it alone for the sake of simplicity on the full-size but I plan on hashing out the nosecone lift on the next update.

I'm holding off on any updates until 1.1 hits and some of the major mods recover. Then I'll be looking at adding fuel switcher support, figuring out FAR, maybe an RSS config and adding a couple more parts like the OMS pods.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad the parts are being used and enjoyed. I have some plans for non-shuttle bits that I hope to figure out once I have time as well.

I got excited when I saw this, then I installed it and found with great disappointment it has LFO. Sorry, but I'm going to have to uninstall it for now till that gets fixed, but my shuttles don't have LFO on them, that is what the external tank is for and the length of that required tank if I empty it is just wasteful. Add a monopropellant option and I will be very interested. (You could use the FSSwitch module, if you don't mind including Firespitter as a dependency).

I also suggest losing the angled RCS jets, that is just impossible to balance that way. I know the real shuttle had them, but we can't control our RCS jets that well in KSP and those angled jets will fire when translating left and right. They need to be straight up and down.

You do realize that you can just go into the .cfg file and replace the part of the code that says

RESOURCE

{

name = LiquidFuel

amount = 180

maxAmount = 180

}

RESOURCE

{

name = Oxidizer

amount = 220

maxAmount = 220

}

with this code

RESOURCE

{

name = MonoPropellant

amount = 400

maxAmount = 400

}

And it will convert to using monopropellant. :) No need to complain too much, or have the poor developer add yet another mod dependency. Getting a working space shuttle requires far too many mods as-is.

You do realize that you can just go into the .cfg file and replace the part of the code that says

with this code

And it will convert to using monopropellant. :) No need to complain too much, or have the poor developer add yet another mod dependency. Getting a working space shuttle requires far too many mods as-is.

I do realize that. You do realize these threads are here for feedback, right?... and that there is a difference between "complain" and "suggestion"? Modifying the part makes it inconsistent, so the craft could not be shared, even if I said it required this mod. Firespitter is a VERY commonly used mod. I would guess most modded clients have it installed, almost as many as ModuleManager. Also, it is possible to be done in such a way that if Firespitter were not installed, it would just be limited to one fuel type. So it wouldn't be a dependency.

Edited by Alshain

I do realize that. You do realize these threads are here for feedback, right?... and that there is a difference between "complain" and "suggestion"? Modifying the part makes it inconsistent, so the craft could not be shared, even if I said it required this mod. Firespitter is a VERY commonly used mod. I would guess most modded clients have it installed, almost as many as ModuleManager. Also, it is possible to be done in such a way that if Firespitter were not installed, it would just be limited to one fuel type. So it wouldn't be a dependency.

I was going to say something when you posted your comment earlier, but I decided against it last time.

I interpreted your comment as fairly rude frankly. It wasn't what you said, so much as it was how you said it. There's a big difference between:

"Hey, do you think we could get another tank containing MonoProp instead? Great work!!"

and

"I installed it and found with great disappointment it has LFO. Sorry, but I'm going to have to uninstall it for now till that gets fixed"

See the difference? Feedback is valuable, just leave the sass and dramatization out of it.

Edited by curtquarquesso

I was going to say something when you posted your comment earlier, but I decided against it last time.

I interpreted your comment as fairly rude frankly. It wasn't what you said, so much as it was how you said it. There's a big difference between:

and

See the difference? Feedback is valuable, just leave the sass and dramatization out of it.

No I don't see the difference. There was no "sass" or "dramatization" in my comment. Simply a statement that I couldn't use it as is and would like to see some additional tank support so that I can. If you interpreted as rude, that is a problem in your interpretation.

Edited by Alshain

No worries guys. No need for disputes while there's space to be had.

More features and outside mod support will come after the Unity 5 dust settles.

In the meantime. Here's a WIP shot of the OMS pods I was working on

6nnS1SI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6nnS1SI.jpg

OH WANT WANT WANT GIVE IT TO ME NOW! Is it another part, or is it built-in to the rest? Oh, and did you add on those nodes yet?

Omfg plez can I haz? QoQ I keep messing about with structural fuselages and nose cones but those are soo much nicer.... QuQ

That looks AWESOME! What are you planning as far as engines go?

I'd prefer just a few angle adapters so we can attach stock/ RLA stockalike engines, or just leave it flat and attach KSO or other, similar, engines.

On a different note, Sorry about snipping at you, Alshain. I would have written up my post more politely, but I had accidentally ingested a mind-altering chemical substance (Food coloring. I'm allergic.) the day before I wrote that, and I wasn't my normal polite self. Sorry!:blush:

Z3RO!

Your comment gave me an idea. I had been fighting with symmetry for hours on those stupid things, so I was just waiting for Unity 5 hoping for a better fix. No matter how the part is mirrored, the RCS directions won't mirror the same way.

I made both OMS pods into one part and it works! Not the best solution, but it'll do for now. The biggest funny with it is the OMS engines have to be placed separately, so you'll have to be careful with your gizmo'ing

I decided to take the day and get this released with a few of the other requests like additional nodes on the base parts and fuel switcher if I have time.

Albert, besides the attachment nodes I'll be keeping the engine surfaces flat to allow for more options. A little gizmo work and you'll be set for a wide variety of COM placements.

Look at 'em go!

EcPq3SG.png?1

Mod Update - 9/25/2015

v 1.01 changes

• Added CA-OMS Pods to Control

• Added FSfuelSwitcher to Shuttle Lifting Bodies and OMS Pods (Firespitter and Module Manager now required)
  • LFO and Monoprop now available for both
  • Added lift to CA-Nosecone
  • Moved CoL of CA-Lifting Body back to compensate for nosecone lift
  • Added 3 Engine Attach nodes to Shuttle Lifting bodies

jonrd463

I love this mod. I do have one request, though. I'm all about making stupidly big shuttles. The one thing I'd like to see is multiple sizes for the separate bottom piece, say 2x, 4x, or even 8x lengths.

I'll be adding those into an optional add-on for the KSP 1.1 update and might move the Mini-shuttle size into that as well to keep the core mod part count down to the essentials. I have the 2x and 4x models ready so I'll toss those into an update earlier if I can.

Thanks for all the continued support and suggestions. Looking forward to getting the last few bits into place for a full release with Unity 5

Added FSfuelSwitcher to Shuttle Lifting Bodies and OMS Pods (Firespitter and Module Manager now required)

Could I persuade you to switch to InterstellarFuelSwitch instead? It has

- Improved persistence in VAB and in Flight

- Improved integration with Tweakscale

- Improved in flight switching behavior

- Improved tank cost calculation which compensates for resource cost

- Improved GUI

Compared to FS. The PartModules are nearly identical in terms of fields, but it's slightly more actively developed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.