[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

Had a very productive holiday break. Don't have time for a proper set of images, so here's a bunch of stuff.

In addition to this I've gotten most of the base UVs and textures updated on the current parts. So we're gettin' there.

z2FVzSv.png

5 hours ago, Pak said:

Had a very productive holiday break. Don't have time for a proper set of images, so here's a bunch of stuff.

In addition to this I've gotten most of the base UVs and textures updated on the current parts. So we're gettin' there.

when will this be done & also will it work with 1.2.1 thank u in advance

Hi, i have anoying problem with this mod, (or maybe just my engineering?), The shuttles i build with parts from this mod are terribly unstable, and while i managed to get them into a propper orbit (not tested with payload yet, just empty ones), i totaly lose control during reentry, when i get close to 30km, it usually just starts to tumble wilsly, and i rarely get it back under control, before i reach dense atmosphere (and build up some speed falling down almost vertically before that).

What is it i do wrong?

8 minutes ago, Filigan said:

Hi, i have anoying problem with this mod, (or maybe just my engineering?), The shuttles i build with parts from this mod are terribly unstable, and while i managed to get them into a propper orbit (not tested with payload yet, just empty ones), i totaly lose control during reentry, when i get close to 30km, it usually just starts to tumble wilsly, and i rarely get it back under control, before i reach dense atmosphere (and build up some speed falling down almost vertically before that).

What is it i do wrong?

Are you using far? If so, it makes shuttles from all different mods act weird in my experience 

Pretty much empty, and i start around 15°-20° and with sas engaged it increases over time, as soon as i start to push the nose down things start to get out of hand, it totaly overreacts on the imput.

I think i wll do a complete sweep, and reinstall everything. if this is just happening to me alone, it might aswell be because all this installing/uninstalling/reinstalling of mods over the last weeks might just have broke something

20 minutes ago, Filigan said:

What is it i do wrong?

Maybe a few things, but it's hard to say without a lot of specifics.

Common things to check;

Entry too steep

Anything under about a hemisphere's distance (or about 1/4 the diameter at the equator) will start to get squirrely. Mostly because of the explanation below.

AoA at different speeds/altitudes

If you're entering with your nose up at 30-40 degrees at around 30k you should be getting into that sideslip speed of 1000-600m/s. I think the most common problem is not nosing down soon enough. Remember the shuttle's only yaw control isn't actually doing anything when it's belly up. So once you lose speed and aero forces start to matter, you need to get that rudder into the air stream to avoid sidesliping into madness.

CoM - CoL with the fuel you're reentering with

Make sure you check your relationship with the expected fuel and payload. Fuel placement doesn't matter as much since the re-balance I did, but it could still be helpful to try putting more fuel in the nose on reentry to help prevent losing pitch control.

On 11/26/2016 at 10:33 AM, DJ Reonic said:
2 hours ago, Filigan said:

What is it i do wrong?

Hard to tell with words. If your are just using this mod and stock I can check what's going on. just make a kerbalx link and reply back and I could do some troubleshooting.

I've only ever landed the shuttle on the runway once, with countless quicksave/loads. The only reason I was able to do it was after watching a video about the real Shuttle's reentry.

Every other time it's splashed down or crashed, and on the rare event that I end up with it under control (usually with FAR), I miss the runway. It doesn't help that I generally use this on an ISS-like non-equatorial orbit and sometimes with a payload.

Pak, are you actually able to fly and land this?

As for Cobalt, I know it's a joke, but I actually managed to make a decent ALT Shuttle/plane by using the An-225 parts from SXT.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

2 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I've only ever landed the shuttle on the runway once, with countless quicksave/loads. The only reason I was able to do it was after watching a video about the real Shuttle's reentry.

Every other time it's splashed down or crashed, and on the rare event that I end up with it under control (usually with FAR), I miss the runway. It doesn't help that I generally use this on an ISS-like non-equatorial orbit and sometimes with a payload.

Pak, are you actually able to fly and land this?

As for Cobalt, I know it's a joke, but I actually managed to make a decent ALT Shuttle/plane by using the An-225 parts from SXT.

If it's equatorial, I can land it pretty consistently, I spend a while just tweaking with quick loads and quick saves for each variation of the shuttle I make, since they all end up being different with each save. Once you find a bench mark to deorbit to and a good AoA, it's not too hard

On 09/12/2016 at 2:33 AM, damonvv said:

Question, will there every be a way to put a name on the shuttle?

Spike88 gave a couple good suggestions of mods that would do the job well, but if you'd rather go simpler, I provided some edited flags that show the Shuttle's name pages back, if that does it for you.

Apparently mediafire links don't work on the forum, but, I haven't rehosted it anywhere else yet.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/58fc3u2xpt65z9m/Cormorant_Flag_Names.zip

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

1 hour ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Spike88 gave a couple good suggestions of mods that would do the job well, but if you'd rather go simpler, I provided some edited flags that show the Shuttle's name pages back, if that does it for you.

Apparently mediafire links don't work on the forum, but, I haven't rehosted it anywhere else yet.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/58fc3u2xpt65z9m/Cormorant_Flag_Names.zip

I really like those flags! Better than using the US flag. Thank you :)

SjAeMbn.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.