[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

7 hours ago, Pak said:

On the topic of craft files, would there be any interest in different mission loadouts? I wouldn't mind doing some different examples on how the bay could be set up for a few different types of missions, but not sure how useful that would be.

What kind of load outs are you thinking of?

14 hours ago, Pak said:

On the topic of craft files, would there be any interest in different mission loadouts? I wouldn't mind doing some different examples on how the bay could be set up for a few different types of missions, but not sure how useful that would be.

Quite a lot of support from me!

@Pak Just did a very demanding (by my standards) mission with your shuttle.  I am impressed man.  Great work (still using last version but with the TAC-LS patch).

Goal was to fly a large Orbital Material Science Lab (13 tons of gear) up to my high orbit station (253 km) and dock.  Then drop out the module and have it's self contained maneuvering system dock that to the station.  Only broke one solar panel when I tried to get the module out of the cargo bay :wink:

After stealing almost all of the stations monoprop the sneaky pilot was able to undock and then plot a decent (with a ton of aerobraking passes) with only 200 m/s or so deltaV and land "close" (beaches west of KSC) to the runway!  0 fuel left when done!

The detailed instructions in the OP spoiler were a big help.  Took a few practice launches to get the almost right amount of throttle at liftoff.

The KHS -1 Gagarin's maiden voyage was a complete success!

Those OMS engines do seem to be very inefficient though - is this intentional?

@mechanicH I generally don't do outside mod support. There's just too many things out there. I do happily accept community patches though.

For the craft files it would just be something like multi-payload, station module installation, and EDO science mission loadouts.

@smotheredrun Good stuff. Missions that don't go right always seem to be the most fun. Glad the guides were helpful too.

The OMS have the same fuel consumption and higher ISP than the Puff engine, so they're a bit more efficient compared to stock.

It dawned on me that my TAC-LS patch was built around a 6 seat modded cockpit, If you use the standard 4 seat cockpits, you'll have 3 days of extra supplies. I'm going to re-write it Tuesday so that it scales based on the number of seats in the cockpit.

1 hour ago, Spike88 said:

It dawned on me that my TAC-LS patch was built around a 6 seat modded cockpit, If you use the standard 4 seat cockpits, you'll have 3 days of extra supplies. I'm going to re-write it Tuesday so that it scales based on the number of seats in the cockpit.

Haha, I downloaded that 6 seat version that was mentioned earlier so I didn't notice.  Awesome stuff!

4 hours ago, Pak said:

For the craft files it would just be something like multi-payload, station module installation, and EDO science mission loadouts.

Cool!  All for it.  

Based off of that mission*, I think I'm gonna need to make some modifications to my CactEye2 telescope that needs to go to a "Kolenya" orbit....  Ap is something like 2 000 000 km or something :wink:  I think the solution will be MOAR BOOSTERS!  (it usually is)... and my A-team will not be on the trip.

4 hours ago, Pak said:

The OMS have the same fuel consumption and higher ISP than the Puff engine, so they're a bit more efficient compared to stock.

Hm.  I have been educated today, despite my best efforts to the contrary. 

*If I can get imgur to cooperate with me I'll post some pics... Made some name plates for the Gagarin and a few others

Well, I was  going to work on the patch yesterday, but I was involved in an accident on Monday, and have been in the hospital since then. When I get discharged and feel a little better., I'll try working on it.

11 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

Well, I was  going to work on the patch yesterday, but I was involved in an accident on Monday, and have been in the hospital since then. When I get discharged and feel a little better., I'll try working on it.

Excuses.

Being dead didn't stop @MrMeeb from working on SPT, why should being in the hospital stop you?

(All jokes aside, hope you're doing well and get better soon)

47 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

If you don't address your doctor as JD you're doing it wrong! Get better soon! :)

1 hour ago, minepagan said:

Excuses.

Being dead didn't stop @MrMeeb from working on SPT, why should being in the hospital stop you?

(All jokes aside, hope you're doing well and get better soon)

My main issue is the fact my right arm/wrist is in a cast. :P 

Thank you.

27 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

If you don't address your doctor as JD you're doing it wrong! Get better soon! :)

I sadly don't have a male doctor. Thank you. 

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Elliot?

Don't think I've seen any blondes. Although one of the spine/cerebral girls looks like Donna from that 70s show.

1 hour ago, minepagan said:

That's why God gave you two arms. It never hurts to be ambidextrous!

According to the wrist doctor, I probably will be by the time this is all over. 

@Pak and others, here are some pics from KHS-1 Gagarin's maiden voyage...   Testing?  Who needs testing? (the Kenterprise never flew... couldn't find/build a plane to carry it to high altitude... they all broke on load) :(....

Side note: gotta say I don't like the physics kraken that spawns at vessel load....  @SQUAD :

Please please please, would love it if this could be fixed....  KJR is not playing nice with my modded install, so I have dropped it for now, but I digress...

Images in the spoilers

Some close ups

Spoiler

hsK9BCR.jpg

fq3ZxJD.jpg

The payload

Spoiler

2MUMaYh.jpg

The Gagarin seen approaching the Kerbin High Orbit Space Station, were the competitor's reusable vehicle the Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter Extra Wide Body Cargo Lifter (AKA Super 25) is docked.... Hee hee, they got there first and took the good parking space!

Spoiler

qmVANum.jpg

Well nuts, that parking spot won't work like that!

Spoiler

aGUtmCV.jpg

So reposition and go!

9TSM9fg.jpg

FvR0PVw.jpg

Perfect!

And dock the module!  Look I only broke one part!

Spoiler

Z2xTfY3.jpg

Just a little short of the runway, but oh well!  It was a good flight!

qZg3Ofd.jpg

And here are some shots of the KHS - 2 Allutian deploying the CactEye2 Kubble Space Telescope at a roughly 63 degree inclination...  

Spoiler

xxrBs5V.jpg

aqdIgg5.jpg

Inspecting the cameras

WTgQyJY.jpg

Now trying to plot my deorbit burn to get me at least close to the KSC

Vzjtmo7.jpg

And the KSC is waaaaayyy off to my right....

dQE7rCw.jpg

Water landing.... not so close.  Time to send the rescue team!

Thanks again guys!  Great Mod!

Edited by smotheredrun
Moar Boosters! I mean stuff!

On 7. 4. 2017 at 0:03 AM, notJebKerman said:

I have a problem with docking this spacecraft. At first, I thought the problem is docking port (CxA's APAS) but I have no trouble docking capsules or even bigger space station modules. But both STS-12 and STS-13 failed to dock. The problem is, that for some reason navball and alignment indicator show me that the target (PMA-2/3) is ~1m above its actual position. And once I do the soft docking, turning on SAS and pointing to target to fully align the ports before retracting the ring results with shuttle just starting to move uncontrollably. Anyone with the same problem?

After the last update, I'm not having that issue anymore. Altough pointing towards target using SAS is still... welll... not perfect, shuttle port at least shows me the right location of the station dock. Definetly one of the weirdest issues I've ever encountered in KSP. With that issue out of the way, STS-14 will be launching to Unity (yes, I've finally chosen a name for my space station) with supplies and Rassvet module soon.

btw, how is the IUS going? I don't wanna be annoying, but I just couldn't help myself not to ask about it...

@notJebKerman Docking alignment troubles would come from the ports or some other weird mod conflict. I don't have anything that would account for that stuff. Also stock SAS will do weird things with heavy ships and stations. Just have to be careful and quicksave a lot.

IUS is mostly ready for completing the textures once I get it balanced in game, but it's slow going as I don't really have free time and am looking at getting another project done first.

@smotheredrun Great stuff. Those inclined landings are tough

Edited by Pak

Small part update adds the Shuttle C!

v1.2.2b

New Parts - Found in the Aero category

Shuttle C body - The Shuttle C is an unmanned option to utilize the ET and booster stack of the Space Shuttle program. The C has no heat tiles or aerodynamic considerations as it isn't intended to return safely. Its lighter weight and disposable nature make it perfect for unusually heavy payloads and high altitude and satellite deployment missions.

Shuttle C Nosecone - A simple nosecone fit to the Mk3 profile.

5VYmuXr.png

OF28qTE.png

Also added a craft file for the Mk3 Orbiter test flight. Relive the good ol' days with your white ET and too many heat tiles!

BByV2je.png

NMboLZm.png

Edited by Pak

Hey guys, if you're playing in a 2x or 3x scaled system @PickledTripod has put together a patch that modifies the ET to use stock fuel volumes. You can find it on my github here and in the OP. Many thanks to him for helping out.

I0nHaPC.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.