[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

Can I just say that I really like the approach that this mod takes to turn the stock Mk3 parts into shuttle replica parts? The Mk3 line is already the part of the stock game most explicitly inspired by real-life vehicle components, so the technique of using a combination of retextures plus new parts is just perfect for getting a true stockalike/realistic STS/Buran. Plus you've got parts that I didn't even realize I wanted, like the MMU, the white EFT, the new Shuttle-C support...

What's a good place to read about the real-life Block II designs and proposals? It seems like the KSP community has a vast trove of knowledge about countless alternate configurations and modified designs that never flew - I can't even Google most of this stuff.

14 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

Can I just say that I really like the approach that this mod takes to turn the stock Mk3 parts into shuttle replica parts? The Mk3 line is already the part of the stock game most explicitly inspired by real-life vehicle components, so the technique of using a combination of retextures plus new parts is just perfect for getting a true stockalike/realistic STS/Buran. Plus you've got parts that I didn't even realize I wanted, like the MMU, the white EFT, the new Shuttle-C support...

What's a good place to read about the real-life Block II designs and proposals? It seems like the KSP community has a vast trove of knowledge about countless alternate configurations and modified designs that never flew - I can't even Google most of this stuff.

*beginning shameless plug*

I made a post on imgur about the Shuttle Block 2 proposals, it has enough info to at least get you started.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Cs6Fo

On 6/7/2017 at 9:28 PM, Pak said:

I'm starting to get the Shuttle Block 2 LRBs in game. The LRBs were the first step in the Block 2 program and offer increased crew safety and larger payload mass.

The 3.125m part set is the Nosecone with sep motors, mid size tank, long tank, quad engine, sep motor pack, and a larger booster decoupler.

Just starting testing, then I'll go back and finish the textures.

0IfKkb8.png

6Am3eZn.png

Amazing! Can't wait to fly with Block 2!

Also, does anyone know if they were planning to make LRBs reusable at some point?

@PocketBrotector Thanks. The pack has grown a lot over the years but I'm glad the original idea is still visible in there.

minepagan's link is a good overview. Block II doesn't seem to have much detailed information out there outside of little mentions or diagrams. It seems like the LRBs have the most information available.

I have way more info on the Shuttle II which seems like a more far-fetched plan (which I'd also love to build at some point)

@notJebKerman They have a similar recovery plan to the Buran boosters. Big side mounted parachutes to land horizontally.

Edited by Pak

I've made one for myself, but it's only the SSMEs.

// Converts Squad's SSME to hydrolox fuel and make it more similar to the real-life RS-25

@PART[SSME]:NEEDS[CryoEngines]
{
	@description = Kerbodyne's flagship engine, the KS-25 is a sustainer with exceptional efficiency from sea level to space. Kerbodyne engineers achieved this by using hydrogen fuel, using an innovative bell design and running the engine in a high pressure staged combustion cycle. Special new alloys had to be invented to suppress the engine's tendency to become a bomb. It is designed with very durable components for reusability, as well as a high gimbal range, but because of that is more expensive than comparable hydrolox engines.
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		maxThrust = 900
		!PROPELLANT{}
		!PROPELLANT{}
		PROPELLANT
		{
			name = LqdHydrogen
			ratio = 1.5
			DrawGauge = True
		}
		PROPELLANT
		{
			name = Oxidizer
			ratio = 0.1
		}
		!atmosphereCurve {}
		atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 452
			key = 1 366
			key = 20 5
		}
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
	{
		@gimbalRange = 7
	}
}

Save as CFG, drop somewhere in GameData.

Hullo all, I'd like to bring awareness to something I found on the Inter-webs.

http://ynot1989.deviantart.com/art/Unchallenged-628217934

I though it was a very cool little what-if story about how the Shuttle Program may have played out differently,

plus it's rather topical considering it involves the Shuttle Block 2, (Which is coming along fantastically I might add!)

Hi all,

This mod looks damn brilliant, but I cannot, for the life of me, get the parts to line up correct. The body is either too far away or overlap the front RCS heat shield cover thing.

Not even the stock ones provided from the developer are correct. 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks all! ^_^

34 minutes ago, Booze_Boy said:

Hi all,

This mod looks damn brilliant, but I cannot, for the life of me, get the parts to line up correct. The body is either too far away or overlap the front RCS heat shield cover thing.

Not even the stock ones provided from the developer are correct. 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks all! ^_^

Could you share screenshots? Is your issue the same as @nowylepszyszatan's on the previous page?

If so your Firespitter may be out of date or you should try using Shuttle Payload Technologies as an add-on mod.

On 6/23/2017 at 9:37 PM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Could you share screenshots? Is your issue the same as @nowylepszyszatan's on the previous page?

If so your Firespitter may be out of date or you should try using Shuttle Payload Technologies as an add-on mod.

Aye it appears I do have the same issue.

Do you know where i can find an up-to-date firespitter plugin?

I decided to add something special to my KISS!

I refurbished the old Kristall into the Nauka module, and used an APAS port so the Buran could dock!  The Shuttle Brothers meet at last!  Also Dream Chaser Automated Cargo Vehicle!

(Cross post from Tantares)

Hey guys,

With the LRBs comes an engine revamp. The ST-25 was kind of a placeholder so I could balance the shuttle with a lighter/lower thrust engine, so the current engine will be replaced by the streamlined version on the far left and the STB on the right will be available with the Shuttle BII stuff. Pictured from left to right are the Compact, 2.5m, and 2.5m boat-tail mesh switches.

(new bits are white and untextured)

tLT8j5l.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2017 at 7:17 PM, PickledTripod said:

I've made one for myself, but it's only the SSMEs.

// Converts Squad's SSME to hydrolox fuel and make it more similar to the real-life RS-25

@PART[SSME]:NEEDS[CryoEngines]
{
	@description = Kerbodyne's flagship engine, the KS-25 is a sustainer with exceptional efficiency from sea level to space. Kerbodyne engineers achieved this by using hydrogen fuel, using an innovative bell design and running the engine in a high pressure staged combustion cycle. Special new alloys had to be invented to suppress the engine's tendency to become a bomb. It is designed with very durable components for reusability, as well as a high gimbal range, but because of that is more expensive than comparable hydrolox engines.
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		maxThrust = 900
		!PROPELLANT{}
		!PROPELLANT{}
		PROPELLANT
		{
			name = LqdHydrogen
			ratio = 1.5
			DrawGauge = True
		}
		PROPELLANT
		{
			name = Oxidizer
			ratio = 0.1
		}
		!atmosphereCurve {}
		atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 452
			key = 1 366
			key = 20 5
		}
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
	{
		@gimbalRange = 7
	}
}

Save as CFG, drop somewhere in GameData.

Great! I was looking for something like this.

On 6/11/2017 at 9:45 PM, Pak said:

I forgot I was sitting on a cryo patch from TheRedTom as well. I'll get that pushed out soon

I don't want to be annoying, but how is this patch coming along?

Thanks for the great mod btw. Seeing the shuttle reenter is glorious.

Oh hey, guess who's making a mostly-reusable shuttle in RO/RSS with a custom RO/RSS config that's not quite done (as RO is still on 1.2.2 and some of the parts in the 1.2.2 version are subject to change)?

http://imgur.com/a/K1uIK

It's meeeeeeee. I'll be releasing it once I have the Buran parts properly configured as well as the STME and SRBs

Edited by MelancholyFlapper

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.