Kerbal Space Program is coming to the TI-83 Calculator!

RocketBlam

Utilizing the amazing computational power of the Texas Instruments TI-83, you can now play Kerbal Space Program in Engineering class! Guaranteed to bring the Kerbal experience to your calculator, or we'll send you a check for $5! *

jqXD1rg.png

- Plot mathematical simulations of Delta-V, ISP and Planetary Intercepts!

- Kind of land on "planets", using math!

- Show those iPhone jerks what a REAL computer can do!

* Checks will not be honored.

Believe it or not, when I was at school I had one of the first programmable TI pocket calculators with 50 program steps, like 35 years ago! And I made a program pretty much like KSP, just a bit simplier (tbh, grafix sucked). You entered a point, a vector and fuel consumption for next step and it calculated the next step on an orbit. Then you put your needle which represented your spaceship to the new coordinates on the playfield. Worked great.

wanna hear something that simply feels "wrong"? (even though there's nothing particularly un-right with it)

I'm all but surely positive that you can actually download a TI-83 or similar in the form of an app for your iThingy....

I'm really not sure how to feel about that :confused: -- anyone?

wanna hear something that simply feels "wrong"? (even though there's nothing particularly un-right with it)

I'm all but surely positive that you can actually download a TI-83 or similar in the form of an app for your iThingy....

May the Krakken feast upon 1000 kerbal corpses for such blasphemy.

This is going to sound kind of silly, but I still have my TI-82, and I refuse to get rid of it, and I'm kind of sad that smart phones can do basically anything my old calculator could do (except of course my calculator has a real keypad).

The REALLY silly thing is, I can't even imagine when I would ever use it again. But I always kind of found that thing to be powerful in a geek-pride sort of way. Now it's NOTHING! Damn iPhone! (Which I also have, and could not live without).

I'm still regularly using my TI-84 from grad school, and in fact I've written several utility programs on it for use with KSP. I have one for calculating ∆v, one for determining when I should "hit the brakes" (i.e. open up the throttle to slow down) when approaching a rendezvous, and another for determining at what speed and/or altitude I should "hit the brakes" on the way down to the surface from orbit.

Besides exams that allow such calculators, I don't really see the need for these now that smartphones are user friendly enough to allow apps that do the same thing.

Given the fact that proper exams should not allow such calculators that draw the graphs for you so you can just chase the proper solution, they should really become obsolete. All you need is a simple scientific calculator unless you don't do exams.

Besides exams that allow such calculators, I don't really see the need for these now that smartphones are user friendly enough to allow apps that do the same thing.

Given the fact that proper exams should not allow such calculators that draw the graphs for you so you can just chase the proper solution, they should really become obsolete. All you need is a simple scientific calculator unless you don't do exams.

I disagree. Calculators--especially graphing calculators--are useful for a lot more things than exams. I use mine frequently at work and at home, and I wouldn't be interested in replacing it with a smartphone even if it had the same functionality (I strongly prefer physical buttons to touchscreens).

I disagree. Calculators--especially graphing calculators--are useful for a lot more things than exams. I use mine frequently at work and at home, and I wouldn't be interested in replacing it with a smartphone even if it had the same functionality (I strongly prefer physical buttons to touchscreens).

Well that's your preference of the input layout. You like buttons. I'm talking about the functionality. Everything calculators do is a piece of cake even for the lousiest smartphone out there. Not even a smartphone. Even a regular phone with a graphical interface can do it. Smartphones have the benefit of a huge screen that can be turned into a calculator layout.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.