Rover won't land (switches between "in space low" and "landed")

I've made a large rover that just won't land properly. in the KER readouts it switches betweeen "in space low" and "landed" extremely quickly (10 times a second) and I can also see the rover slight moving when I zoom in on it, even if it should be standing still with the brakes engaged.

All engines are turned off and I can leave it for an hour without it stabilizing.

Any ideas on what is wrong with my rover to not be able to land properly?

Also, when exiting to the space center when the focus has been on my rover, the game crashes.

Edited by GTHvidsten
Added more details.

Does it make any difference whether the drills are deployed?

I don't have a straightforward answer for you, but my best guesses:

Are those front wheels correctly aligned? They look like they might be slightly 'toe-in'. Misaligned wheels/gears can do weird things with apparently phantom forces.

The super-low gravity on Minmus is probably not putting enough load on the heavy-duty suspension you're using to correct/null out any odd force going on. You could try using smaller wheels/less suspension, or making the craft heavier, or put landing struts on it for 'parking'/drilling.

p.s. cool rig!

EDIT: also, I'm not an expert but I'd guess the crash is caused by the game trying to update the persistent.sfs and failing when it can't resolve the state of your active craft.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

I've had this same problem before, I believe it's a bug. The only way I was able to fix it was by putting landing legs on the rover, and deploy them when landed.

You can also try editing the save file and change the state of the rover to landed, but in my experience even that doesn't work, the rover just jumps right back off the surface.

What happens if you timewarp? When I did, the rover exploded!

Does it make any difference whether the drills are deployed?

No

Are those front wheels correctly aligned?

No, I noticed that when I got to Minmus. I have thought about those and figured it might have something to do with it. Then I thought some more about it and figured it shouldn't really have anything to do with it... then again, the Kraken works in mysterious ways.

... or put landing struts on it for 'parking'/drilling.

I'll definitely look into this the next time I launch one of these behemoths.

p.s. cool rig!
Woah that thing is cool! Like something out of Mad Jeb!

Thanks! :D

A friendly tip if someone tries to build something similar. Put on more solar panels. It is greatly underpowered when drilling or refining ;)

It starts to sink into the surface, followed by it blowing violently apart. If I go out of timewarp at the correct time only a few parts will have exploded and the vessel suddenly has an apoapsis of a few hundred meters. In the Kraken's defence: It is a glorious dismemberment :)

Hmm. Do you have SAS on or any other control system? Sometimes SAS and/or parking brake causes endless jitter, though usually on slopes. It would certainly appear that you're on Minmus's flats, which should be a literally ideal surface, but with unorthodox craft designs I guess maybe it could cause jumping? Or maybe misaligned wheels as was suggested, using snap to angle when mounting wheels can bring this out without even noticing.

It might also just be those wheels, I build several rovers a week and yet still never use the model 3 wheels because they seem to bug out a lot to me. YMMV but I've had them do nonsense like hurl me into the sky or convert my entire craft and anyone in it to cubist spaghetti.

I've had this same problem before, I believe it's a bug. The only way I was able to fix it was by putting landing legs on the rover, and deploy them when landed.

You can also try editing the save file and change the state of the rover to landed, but in my experience even that doesn't work, the rover just jumps right back off the surface.

Curious, was it using the huge wheels like this one is? Just trying to find some common thread to this. Of course, with just what you've said, it's also possible you were on a slight slope with either SAS or brakes engaged as described above, I've certainly had that happen to me in all manner of rovers.

The timewarp explosion is because the craft is being registered as "in motion" and so with physics off it's just crashed into the surface.

It starts to sink into the surface, followed by it blowing violently apart. If I go out of timewarp at the correct time only a few parts will have exploded and the vessel suddenly has an apoapsis of a few hundred meters. In the Kraken's defence: It is a glorious dismemberment :)

Interesting... this made me wonder, have you tried driving to the slopes of Minmus to see if you have the save problem there? It could be a glitch issue to do with Minmus sea level.

Also, I agree the wheel alignment shouldn't cause problems, but since when has that stopped the kraken? All must bow to that dark power's mysteriousness.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

Curious, was it using the huge wheels like this one is? Just trying to find some common thread to this. Of course, with just what you've said, it's also possible you were on a slight slope with either SAS or brakes engaged as described above, I've certainly had that happen to me in all manner of rovers

Yes, same wheels.

I might well have had SAS on, brakes were on and off as I tried to control the rover but it only moved at a few m/s as if it didn't have traction. In the end I 'solved' it by sending another similar rover but with landing legs on, and just park it. It was a drilling rover like the one above, so it didn't really need to drive around.

My conclusion back then was that those rover wheels were bugged on Minmus.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.