KerbalEdu Earth History Campaign released

MarkZero

Earth History Campaign Launched!

What do you think happens when Kerbals get their hands on a piece of human technology? You can stop wondering and find out in the latest update to KerbalEdu: Earth History Campaign!

Earth History Campaign is the first major content update for KerbalEdu that introduces students to the history of spaceflight, basics of gameplay and essential physics concepts.

You can start Earth History Campaign directly from the website: www.kerbaledu.com/ehc. Note that you’ll need the latest version of KerbalEdu to run the new missions!

You can find more information about Earth History Campaign in our latest blog post.

KerbalEdu Update

In preparation for the Earth History Campaign, KerbalEdu has been updated to version 1.0.4e711. To download the latest version, log in to kerbalspaceprogram.com store. You need this new version for the Earth History Campaign missions to work correctly.

The KerbalEdu website kerbaledu.com has also been updated. It now contains a lot more information on how to start using KerbalEdu for teaching.

I updated KerbalEDU to the latest version, and launched the first mission from the website. I'm taken to the main menu in KerbalEDU, and there I sit... no mission.

A non-computer literate teacher would get frustrated and give up at this point.

I'm a developer myself, and have beta tested boatloads of software - I'd be more than happy to test this for you.

Edited by Balrog

I found that you can download the scenario files, for instance: http://kerbaledu.com/kerbalmissionlibrary/node/65

BUT, there are no instructions on what to do with the ZIP file once you have downloaded it...

I'm assuming you extract the files into the scenario folder, but ehcmission1.zip and ehcmission3.zip are missing EHC Mission X.sfs files, so they are not appearing on the scenario list. Mission 2 DOES include an EHC Mission 2.sfs - and it DOES appear in the scenario list.

I found that you can download the scenario files, for instance: http://kerbaledu.com/kerbalmissionlibrary/node/65

BUT, there are no instructions on what to do with the ZIP file once you have downloaded it...

I'm assuming you extract the files into the scenario folder, but ehcmission1.zip and ehcmission3.zip are missing EHC Mission X.sfs files, so they are not appearing on the scenario list. Mission 2 DOES include an EHC Mission 2.sfs - and it DOES appear in the scenario list.

I fixed the mission launching via website issue I was having - I ran "registerurlhandler.cmd" in the KerbalEDU folder.

The installer is supposed to run registerurlhandler.cmd. If for some reason it doesn't, you can run it manually to enable launching missions from URLs. Give KSP.exe as a parameter. Like so:

registerurlhandler.cmd KSP.exe

I'll add instructions for manually downloading the missions. They actually go to different places. Mission 2 goes into scenarios, the others in their folders directly under saves.

So... would a teacher need to install mods to do this? Since the lesson plan PDF clearly shows KF wheels.

No mods are needed, only KerbalEdu. Those wheels are not from KF, they were custom built by our 3d modeler.

Awesome, thanks!

You may want to put that info on registerurlhandler.cmd in a troubleshooting section at the end of the KerbalEduReadme.txt.

I was serious about wanting to test this for you!

My wife is a middle-school science teacher, and is teaching an astronomy class this year. I lecture about astronomy and space science, and am extremely active with astronomy outreach... and I'm KSP fanatic. I'm working on a after-school rocket club for my wife's school, and will be lecturing about KSP at a ConClave - a Michigan Science Fiction convention in October.

Edited by Balrog

[...]

No mods are needed, only KerbalEdu. Those wheels are not from KF, they were custom built by our 3d modeler.

Nice! Do the tantares-style parts come with it too? Or are those only in the trailer? Thanks!

EDIT:

Oh, and do the cabbages come with it? There're pretty great.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Here to inform you that a new mission has been released to Earth History Campaign. First update your version of KerbalEdu (download from https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kspstore and install). Then go to http://www.kerbaledu.com/ehc, select mission V and play. Mission is divided into two parts that can be launched separately.

Sorry for requiring you to update again. We were originally not planning to update the game between the missions, but we needed new conditions and actions to the mission editor to make the new mission as we had envisioned it. On the plus side you now also get to play with them and the new condition grouping functionality in the mission editor (log in at http://kerbaledu.com/kerbalmissionlibrary/ and select Mission Editor).