Kerbae ad Astra Worldbuilding

0111narwhalz

Finally, the ramscoop offers a middle ground. With no more danger than the usual fusion rocket, but more thrust than the rounding error of a starwisp, it

More thrust that the rounding error of a starwisp = anything above 1/1000th or so the thrust of a starwisp. You might want to change that, seeing how the ramscoop is obviously meant to have more thrust. I suggest replacing starwisp with the Pion thing, or change the sentence to 'enough thrust that that of a starwisp would be a rounding error' or something like that. 

Also note that Ramscoops have a maximum speed of about 0.18c due to the inherent limits of energy in fusion reactions and the fact you need to speed up all the hydrogen you want to fuse.

23 minutes ago, superstrijder15 said:

More thrust that the rounding error of a starwisp = anything above 1/1000th or so the thrust of a starwisp. You might want to change that, seeing how the ramscoop is obviously meant to have more thrust. I suggest replacing starwisp with the Pion thing, or change the sentence to 'enough thrust that that of a starwisp would be a rounding error' or something like that.

Thanks, I changed it to "more thrust than the starwisp's mere rounding error."

26 minutes ago, superstrijder15 said:

Also note that Ramscoops have a maximum speed of about 0.18c due to the inherent limits of energy in fusion reactions and the fact you need to speed up all the hydrogen you want to fuse.

I included a thing addressing that.

4 minutes ago, superstrijder15 said:

Eehm... Doesn't that still mean the same thing?

The "rounding error" is supposed to refer to the starwisp's thrust, i.e. "the starwisp's thrust is like a rounding error, and the ramscoop is more than that."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.