[Broken in 1.0.5] "Kerlantis" NASA Space Shuttle Replica

Jon144

mkKZymB.jpg

nmFKLwg.jpg

By Jon144 and Flying Beaver

Render by esinohio.

No Mods Required.

It has been a long time coming but I am finally confident to make the first release of the Kerlantis NASA space shuttle replica.

STS-41B just finished it's complete mission.

ZgxpRQi.jpg

AuTbLxv.jpg

wnZuCvy.jpg

qu3k5Tb.jpg

1u4iUgN.jpg

FwFY81C.jpg

6C2wtcB.jpg

A texture replacer was used to turn the fuel tank orange. Find it here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/128414-1-0-x-FairingTextureSwitch-Switchable-Textures-on-Stock-Fairings%21-July-11

See complete album: http://imgur.com/a/bMmvY

Built from 100% stock parts Kerlantis is an accurate working replica of NASA's own STS Space Shuttle. Only 260 parts at launch, Kerlantis is designed to operate within low kerbin orbit; capable of lifting payloads in excess of 20 tons. A partially reusable system, the orbiter reenters and lands back at the KSC runway. The External Fuel tank and boosters are the only parts of the shuttle at launch that are non reusable (But a version with reusable SRB's will be released shortly).

This shuttle takes more piloting expertise to get into orbit that most regular rockets. For best control on launch liftoff with less than 30% thrust and let the shuttle angle it's back a few degrees before throttling up to maximum. Having the orbiter's RCS engaged during ascent is necessary to keep the shuttle stable. Especially when carrying heavy payloads. Remember to press action group 1 to disable the main engines after decoupling the External Fuel Tank. Reentry is performed like any regular space-plane. Just try to keep from performing aggressive maneuvers. For best flight stability during reentry and landing try to keep the orbiter fuel tanks as dry as possible but keep some for RCS usage to recover the craft if control is lost. And as a last note make sure to familiarize yourself with the craft's action groups before flight.

Important Action Groups:

1. Toggle Space Shuttle Main Engines.

2. Toggle Orbital Maneuvering Engines.

3. Open/Close Cargo Bay.

Abort - Abort to landing

Brakes - Wheel Brakes and Airbrake

Maximum Safe Payload Weight to LKO: 18 Tons

Maximum Payload Weight to LKO: 25 Tons

Maximum Payload Weight to LKO using orbiter fuel: 35 Tons

Download Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsf35ho3b1bx9v0/Kerlantis.craft?dl=0

sHlpyBs.jpg

I will be adding more versions and shuttle related downloads in the future. This includes a version with reusable solid rocket boosters and a version with a stock launch tower. After being inspired by the community projects surrounding Inigma's great shuttle I'm considering making challenges and other community projects based around my own.

If you use or modify this shuttle make sure to post pictures and information on your payload and or mission. I know i'm not the only one who makes nice things and really want to see what other people come up with. Thank you for reading!

:cool:

WWhHINm.jpg

8mQncZJ.jpg

x4ezNBA.jpg

tNe7eIS.jpg

oyIZho4.jpg

lXHZMij.jpg

66IdT6E.jpg

1X7W2MV.jpg

XXiQYug.jpg

jYetX3l.jpg

:cool:

See also:

Space Shuttle Mission Badges by Flying Beaver: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/133319-Shuttle-Mission-Patches

Space Shuttle Khallenger (Previous Replica): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/133425-STS-Space-Shuttle-Khallenger

Edited by Jon144

how do you managed to do an orange fairing for the first pic? :o

Photoshop :rolleyes:

A fairing paint mod would be fantastic for this craft. If there is one make sure to point it out to me. I'll make it a recommended mod.

Edited by Jon144

Looks great!

How many parts is the Orbiter herself? I don't mind high part count in the launch stack as long as I can shed most of it before orbit.

I believe the orbiter part count is under 140ish. And of those 260 parts at launch a good portion of those are the launch clamps. You shouldn't have a problem with lag. If you do turning down Aero Fx quality and camera shake should help. If you have a really bad computer you can remove the launch clamps entirely and it will sit on the pad with her boosters.

Edited by Jon144

It looks awesome! Good one, I have been following it, and wanted to comment. The problem is, it's not going to be my usual post with suggestions... because I don't have any, I think I would have done it pretty much the same way. Good job! :)

Rune. Rep instead?

That's amazing, but I have some objections on the render. The SRB's smoke trail is good, but this is because it burns solid fuel. The SSMEs burn hydrogen and oxygen, and therefore their flames should be semitransparent and with some blue shades, while the smoke trails should look like (because they literally are) water vapor.

• 3 weeks later...

Also ran into a very strange bug after decoupling the SRBs too soon.

http://i.imgur.com/mVB2uQy.jpg

I do believe the SRBs may have undergone warm fusion. Not cold, but not matter vaporizing hot either. Columbia had this glitch where there was random heat buildup with a cargo bay and clipped parts. He/she made a heat bomb with it that had the persisting explosions.

She's a real beauty mate. And those screenshots of the orbiter in orbit are stunning!

Have you seen the Shuttle Vaos Human (youtuber) made? No SAS or RCS or any torque of any kind!

I can send you the video if you like?

Edited by Majorjim

She's a real beauty mate. And those screenshots of the orbiter in orbit are stunning!

Have you seen the Shuttle Vaos Human (youtuber) made? No SAS or RCS or any torque of any kind!

I can send you the video if you like?

I might have seen it already. But I have no idea why you would want to make a space shuttle or any spacecraft without SAS or RCS.

If you're interested in alternate Shuttles, I have this:

lR17MQn.png

It's a Saturn Shuttle. Surprisingly, it flies pretty well, and makes orbit (90x90km, roughly) with about a fifth of the external tank left. Unfortunately not all stock, as it uses SpaceY parts for the S-IC. Thrust-to-weight ratio is also pretty low just after staging (which is to be expected).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.