[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

9 minutes ago, Gupyzer0 said:

You're putting some hours on this Zorg, they're looking great. What else do you need to do to finish the Atlas revamp? I mean I can see that you made an issue a long time ago but it's been "kind off abandoned" -> https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/974

Thats not really abandoned, I did update it a couple of months ago as well although planning started a VERY long time ago lol. But I only tick things off once I get a functional version in game and relatively stable. There might be a couple of omissions, I'll go over it again soon.

About half that list is modelled and textured now (and more than half workload wise). I will probably do this in two phases so most of what I've shown is going to go start going in game once I've finished the emissives for the engines. Most of whats in that list starting with SLV-3X and below will be phase 2 which I will start on once I get phase 1 in game.

ps. By phase 1 and 2 I just mean in terms of my work. All of this likely will be part of the same BDB update.

6 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Thats not really abandoned, I did update it a couple of months ago as well although planning started a VERY long time ago lol. But I only tick things off once I get a functional version in game and relatively stable. There might be a couple of omissions, I'll go over it again soon.

About half that list is modelled and textured now (and more than half workload wise). I will probably do this in two phases so most of what I've shown is going to go start going in game once I've finished the emissives for the engines. Most of whats in that list starting with SLV-3X and below will be phase 2 which I will start on once I get phase 1 in game.

ps. By phase 1 and 2 I just mean in terms of my work. All of this likely will be part of the same BDB update.

Just saw the edit, my bad :blush:, thanks for the reply!

@CobaltWolf, I found some weird thing about the drag force of x15 fuselage. At Mach 1.4 / 15000m, the total drag is 71kN, which might be too big for a plane of this size.

Then I set “dragModelType = none” and “useInternalDragModel = True”, the total drag becomes 42kN at Mach 1.5 / 14000m. I think this would be more reasonable, and the final speed is Mach 4.2 / 22500m.

7nSqYn5.jpegeMENetn.jpeg

Edited by zw_45

3 hours ago, zw_45 said:

@CobaltWolf, I found some weird thing about the drag force of x15 fuselage. At Mach 1.4 / 15000m, the total drag is 71kN, which might be too big for a plane of this size.

Then I set “dragModelType = none” and “useInternalDragModel = True”, the total drag becomes 42kN at Mach 1.5 / 14000m. I think this would be more reasonable, and the final speed is Mach 4.2 / 22500m.

Is this with or without the new update? 

12 hours ago, zw_45 said:

9 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Is this with or without the new update? 

8 hours ago, zw_45 said:

I didn’t test the new update.

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I got Mach 5.87 (2012 m/s) at between 35km to 40km. I launched X-15 on top of a Juno rocket. 

Yes, last night we discovered that having open/missing endcaps on the parts really messed up the drag forces. I put placeholder endcaps in the missing areas and everything is behaving much better now. I never would have guessed that was the issue - I'd assumed it generated the drag cubes based on the colliders.

Huge thanks to @CashnipLeaf for holding my hand through the whole process and figuring this all out!

There's still a lot of work to be done, especially with that pesky ventral fin, not to mention finishing the uprated versions of the plane. I'll have to get a GitHub issue together for tracking everything.

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yes, last night we discovered that having open/missing endcaps on the parts really messed up the drag forces. I put placeholder endcaps in the missing areas and everything is behaving much better now. I never would have guessed that was the issue - I'd assumed it generated the drag cubes based on the colliders.

Yeah, the end result was that the generated drag cubes had a much smaller front or rear face than they should have, resulting in the front and/or rear drag cube faces of connected parts not getting occluded, which added a considerable amount of drag, especially at transonic speeds. That thing could not glide to save its life.

With the fixed drag cubes, drag went down by between 1/3 and 1/2, depending on the AoA, the L/D ratio went up significantly, and it can actually glide now! LOL

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Huge thanks to @CashnipLeaf for holding my hand through the whole process and figuring this all out!

Anytime, m8! :valwink:

Edited by CashnipLeaf