[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Finally got newer BDB parts, including Sarnus and Kane into my career save. I got around around to starting a base and launched the first module using Sarnus. I also looked through the MOL parts. Do these have Life Support configured? I did not see any configs for them and just wanna be sure I'm not doing something wrong.

Here a quick album

Gk2qFKq.png

4 minutes ago, NeoFatalis said:

the LM is from SXT and the Saturn is a combination of tanks from AB launchers and the engines From spacey

Thanks, I've never heard of those 2 mods in particular, I'll have to check them out

2 minutes ago, baldamundo said:

That's incredible. What actually is it? Googling "republic aviation corporation lunar lander" gets me nothing

https://www.google.com/search?q=convair+lunar+lander&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I haven't looked through any of those, so I just gave a google search that hopefully has some good links. :)

Stream is up!

@CobaltWolf I didn't really play with it much yet, but the Apollo CM is very nice work, so much so that it's likely to take over the top spot for 3-kerbal pods in my builds. I was all set to go down the path of modeling an Apollo CM of my own, but now I can push that plan off indefinitely.

Best of all, the Apolllo-style LES I made for my PEBKAC Launch Escape Systems mod will be fairly easy to adapt to fit perfectly on this CM.

Apollo BPC

Edited by Kurld
blah

4 hours ago, Kurld said:

@CobaltWolf I didn't really play with it much yet, but the Apollo CM is very nice work, so much so that it's likely to take over the top spot for 3-kerbal pods in my builds. I was all set to go down the path of modeling an Apollo CM of my own, but now I can push that plan off indefinitely.

Best of all, the Apolllo-style LES I made for my PEBKAC Launch Escape Systems mod will be fairly easy to adapt to fit perfectly on this CM.

Apollo BPC

Ohh, that'd be nice until the actual BPC gets done. :)

So the Kane package is pretty awesome. (understatement!)

I had a suggestion about the SM, one i've had for a while... But, I know there exists a vast preference for feature implementation instead of feature request... So, an hour of cussing and reloading later, I made you a thing :3. I'll let you guess what it might do from the patch code...

Spoiler

@PART[bluedog_Apollo_Block2_ServiceModule]:NEEDS[UniversalStorage]
// Block2SM_US.MM.cfg 
// Yeppppp, MODULAR MODULES, WOOOOO
{
	node_stack_US1 = -0.55, -1.04, 0.54, -0.85, 0.0, 0.85, 0
	node_stack_US2 = -0.55, -0.57, 0.54, -0.85, 0.0, 0.85, 0
	node_stack_US3 = -0.55, -0.16, 0.54, -0.85, 0.0, 0.85, 0
	node_stack_US4 = -0.55, 0.31, 0.54, -0.85, 0.0, 0.85, 0
	node_stack_US5 = 0.55, -1.04, -0.54, 0.088, 0.0, -0.088, 0
	node_stack_US6 = 0.55, -0.57, -0.54, 0.088, 0.0, -0.088, 0
	node_stack_US7 = 0.55, -0.16, -0.54, 0.088, 0.0, -0.088, 0
	node_stack_US8 = 0.55, 0.31, -0.54, 0.088, 0.0, -0.088, 0
}

It certainly works, and it seems pretty solid, but I would love if someone besides myself could try it out and see if it works for you as well. (aka, it loads and works, but its 2am and I can't playtest it.)

(Credit to @marce and @Felbourn for NodeHelper, making this sane to do in an hour or so... mad mad props, fellows!)

EDIT: Blah, looks like I need to tweak the positions a bit more... doh!

EDIT2: Buahahaha, sleep is for losers... position tweak GET, now try it out!...

EDIT3: I need to check the alignment vectors... I think I did it in radians instead of degrees, but somehow it came out ok? 2am + trig = bad juju :( 

Edited by komodo
sdfghjkl

5 hours ago, komodo said:

So the Kane package is pretty awesome. (understatement!)

I had a suggestion about the SM, one i've had for a while... But, I know there exists a vast preference for feature implementation instead of feature request... So, an hour of cussing and reloading later, I made you a thing :3. I'll let you guess what it might do from the patch code...

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[bluedog_Apollo_Block2_ServiceModule]:NEEDS[UniversalStorage]
// Block2SM_US.MM.cfg 
// Yeppppp, MODULAR MODULES, WOOOOO
{
	node_stack_US1 = -0.55, -1.04, 0.54, -0.85, 0.0, 0.85, 0
	node_stack_US2 = -0.55, -0.57, 0.54, -0.85, 0.0, 0.85, 0
	node_stack_US3 = -0.55, -0.16, 0.54, -0.85, 0.0, 0.85, 0
	node_stack_US4 = -0.55, 0.31, 0.54, -0.85, 0.0, 0.85, 0
	node_stack_US5 = 0.55, -1.04, -0.54, 0.088, 0.0, -0.088, 0
	node_stack_US6 = 0.55, -0.57, -0.54, 0.088, 0.0, -0.088, 0
	node_stack_US7 = 0.55, -0.16, -0.54, 0.088, 0.0, -0.088, 0
	node_stack_US8 = 0.55, 0.31, -0.54, 0.088, 0.0, -0.088, 0
}

It certainly works, and it seems pretty solid, but I would love if someone besides myself could try it out and see if it works for you as well. (aka, it loads and works, but its 2am and I can't playtest it.)

(Credit to @marce and @Felbourn for NodeHelper, making this sane to do in an hour or so... mad mad props, fellows!)

EDIT: Blah, looks like I need to tweak the positions a bit more... doh!

EDIT2: Buahahaha, sleep is for losers... position tweak GET, now try it out!...

EDIT3: I need to check the alignment vectors... I think I did it in radians instead of degrees, but somehow it came out ok? 2am + trig = bad juju :( 

Nice! I haven't rolled with US in a while but I'll install it to test this. I won't promise tonight, but this week. I've yet to figure out nodes at anything but 90 degrees, kudos for getting it. What trig madness is needed to set those up?

46 minutes ago, akron said:

Nice! I haven't rolled with US in a while but I'll install it to test this. I won't promise tonight, but this week. I've yet to figure out nodes at anything but 90 degrees, kudos for getting it. What trig madness is needed to set those up?

I just use the NODE{ } thing that @InsaneDruid showed me.

@Komodo that's awesome! I don't know if they'll actually fit, I really didn't intend for that to be a feature when I made the mesh haha.

@kurld Yas! I was kind of hoping in the back of my head that my Apollo would work with your stuff. I'll have to PM you later with some questions regarding it.

@akron btw, for the Sarnus 1, if you have a large fairing like that, what I do is, instead of the adapter tank, I place a second straight tank, disable the lobes shroud, and then use the 3.125m fairing base. :wink:

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

I just use the NODE{ } thing that @InsaneDruid showed me.

@Komodo that's awesome! I don't know if they'll actually fit, I really didn't intend for that to be a feature when I made the mesh haha.

@kurld Yas! I was kind of hoping in the back of my head that my Apollo would work with your stuff. I'll have to PM you later with some questions regarding it.

@akron btw, for the Sarnus 1, if you have a large fairing like that, what I do is, instead of the adapter tank, I place a second straight tank, disable the lobes shroud, and then use the 3.125m fairing base. :wink:

One of these days, I'll bribe you to walk me through it.

I didn't try the straight tanks. I don't think I had noticed the big fairing at the time (sooo many parts). It'd probably been too much dV anyway. I played career again, but the module is still en route to Minmus. I'll report back on the rest of the mission. I think there was one more day before it reached the SOI

Also, I have feedback but I don't know if you've made changes to stuff recently. Do you just want github complaint issue report?

4 hours ago, akron said:

Also, I have feedback but I don't know if you've made changes to stuff recently. Do you just want github complaint issue report?

No need to bribe you, I think I may have PM'd it to already. Look at the cfg file for the Sarnus engine mounts. You basically just insert gameObjects in Unity with the Z+ determining the orientation.

And yes, I'd appreciate it! Worst case is we double check some things and then close it.

EDIT: Also, if you missed it, last night I started working on the LEM! It was a bit of a change of plans, as I had intended to do the remaining Saturn canonical Saturn parts first, but oh well. Unfortunately I had a migraine, that got worse as I streamed despite taking my medications for it. Tonight I'll try and stream to make up for it. It'll be starting a bit later than usual - somewhere between 6 and 7 eastern.

Edited by CobaltWolf

On tablet, so quoting is borked: CW: they do fit, if you remove the cases. The upper and lower bays are *jusssstttttt* big enough. The center bays hold two easily. The edits were me moving the nodes in a shade to keep larger US modules from clipping through  

Akron: I admit I never would have gotten it on my own; I googled "rotate attach node ksp " and found a necrobones mini how-to. The triad (0,0,0) are (X,y,z) vectors of a unit sphere of radius 1. So, zero to one for the range. If a part is aligned towards X, let's say, and I want it to be 45 degrees towards Z, let's say, I needed either sin(45), or sin(135), if I recall from last night. Whichever was good for one direction needed the other angle for the opposite direction. (Those are the weird 0.8 or 0.088 values... Do an arcsin or arccos to recover the initial value.) This is why I said I need to go back and check, because I apparently did it in radians accidentally, but it still turned out ok. I'll need a pen and paper and a real calculator to figure out what I did , well, right, accidentally.

On 1/8/2016 at 7:21 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Hopefully! We aren't going to be scaled exactly the same as FASA. I'm not sure what he means by 'There are so many different Saturn V mods'. FASA is the only one I know of with a complete Saturn V.

there was OLDD Saturn, pretty detailed (HUGE ram footprint) and with real proportion (now the download is lost, but I still have the files on my pc, if you wanna take a look at them) with the whole Saturn V at around 5.6m (stock kerbal scale) diameter...

... and:

for Real Solar System (I made them smaller, to fit it in a stock game, and simplified to stock resources/FX, to lower RAM usage).

About FASA, it was used the LEM and Apollo capsule-CSM from OLDD, but with tanks at 5m, so the scale was ackward: I'm actually using the Real Scale version I privately modded in stock values to fill the gap you have up to now (basically, SATURN I-B first stage tanks -a bit bigger than your Saturn I-,
SATURN V, Delta IV, and bigger shuttle and Ares 1 SRB)

Said that, and back to some of my old behaviours, some "tweaks" I did to your Kane-Apollo capsule:
the stock pod 3 crew IVA shows in a weird position, when activated the IVA overlay during a launch (to look inside the capsule from outside), way too much forward (or "up", if you look at it on the rocket).

To center it, there is a command line to be added inside the IVA MODULE in the part cfg (called "offset"): I'm working on it to position the IVA properly.

I'm also looking to adapt the IVA from here:

to have a different looking one than stock 3 crew pod, but I'm still unsure if it will be better (or if I'm willing to add an IVA more on my already pretty full install, even if now i'm running a 64 bit windows)

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@Araym Actually, the first link for each download seems to be working...IF you know how.... :) Clue is in the text for the link

... ehm... I was looking at it superficially (I had those file saved from way back in the days I used those mods), but anyway (if working) I think they could be a good reference to ease the pain to Cobaltwolf, redrawing them from scratch.

By the way, I ended my "tweaks" for the Apollo-Kane pod IVA:

INTERNAL
	{
		name = PodCockpit
		offset = 0.0, 0.0, 0.57
	}

Adding this code to the internal module should place more properly the IVA, activating the external overlay.

For those willing to use a more Apollo-ish IVA (3 kerbals placed side-by-side, as the Apollo's crew), as the original author give them as "open source", I suggest to use the one coming from K-P0110, with this tweaks:

INTERNAL
	{
		name = KP0110internal
		offset = 0.0, 0.0, 0.13
	}

I consider this a better solution overall:
there are some differences to Cobaltwolf model seen by an external view (mostly lateral windows not perfectly alligned and a slightly different shape) but with that placement (considering the Kane pod+heatshield) it fits pretty decently, considering not only the crew placement inside the pod, but also the already present hatch over the crew heads (this is also a bit misalligned with the pod module, but not so horribly).

Personally, I decided to implement the KP0110 internal, to have some different looks than the stock 3 crew pod, already used by me also with the Super67 pod, aside by the stock one.

--- EDIT ---

Another fix I consider pretty important:
as it seems, the ETOH engine is actually unable to lift off properly the Redstone-Mercury assembly (it starts with 0.99 TWR at the launchpad).
From my basic maths, I think it was just a misjudgement about ISP:

a thrust value of 143 "should" be enough, BUT only if it was the real thrust value at sea level, and not the vacuum one. If let run on the pad a bit, to gain a positive thrust, it also fails to be, sometime, a suborbital rocket capable to give an hop in space (1 of 3 launch for me fails to leave the atmosphere, burning too much fuel in the initial phase of the flight, without gaining any speed/altitude).
I modified it with the value of 158.5, just enough to give about 143 at sea level (with an initial TWR around 1.1), pretty decent and probably the right feel for the old suborbital rocket.

Edited by Araym

Regarding Etoh:... If I recall correctly, this is why the tank was split (it was once a very long single 1.25 m tank), as a full load plus a Mercury wasn't able to lift off. For suborbital hops, try just the larger of the two tanks on its lonesome, and see how that goes. I think that's how I've been doing mine at least... 

Why have the longer tank? Personally, I use it as a cheap satellite launcher, especially at the early stages of career. Even later on, it's very inexpensive, and works perfectly well for small payloads.

( I also think... Well... on Kerbin, sub orbital is a difficult term, with the ease of orbit. On one of the re scales or RSS, the difference in grunt power to go from sub orbital to full orbital is significant. If Etoh was too spritely, it wouldn't be much of a leap to going orbital. Or, gameplay wise, it gives atlas a purpose :) )