[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@CobaltWolf, there really isnt that much you'd have to do to incorporate Mars mission proposals. All you'd have to make are: 

The Mars Excursion Module (that big cone shape lander that looks like a biggy-sized Apollo CM) 

NERVA (that is, your own interpretation of it. You could always be lazy and just add LH2 configs for the Nerv :wink: )

Just now, awsumindyman said:

@CobaltWolf, there really isnt that much you'd have to do to incorporate Mars mission proposals. All you'd have to make are: 

The Mars Excursion Module (that big cone shape lander that looks like a biggy-sized Apollo CM) 

NERVA (that is, your own interpretation of it. You could always be lazy and just add LH2 configs for the Nerv :wink: )

There's some stuff. Making sure that there are structural/habitable parts to make the geometry line up, massive docking ports to hold it all together, probably some unique dedicated radiators, some massive communications dishes...

Since the stock NERVA is, well, NERVA, I decided that any nuclear engines I do would probably be based on Timberwinds - perhaps two both the large / small variants.

I haven't really given thought to the MEM but I might explore alternate configurations to see if I can find something cooler.

Also, while I want Ares to be buildable, it's not going to be the only configuration that's possible... There are plenty that I can explore.

2 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

the apollo passive and active ports arent latching. also get structrual failures inbetween the engine mount and tank on S-IC with autostrut and rigid attach on.

Are you sure there isn't still some stock bug preventing them from working properly? Last couple times I tried to dock I had to F5/F9 to get them to work which makes it not my problem.

And perhaps don't use rigid attach? You shouldn't be using it on Saturn V, it makes things LESS strong. Or save yourself some time and just install KJR... unless you're strange and like having to go through and manually auto strut everything to everything else... either way you get the same result...

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

There's some stuff. Making sure that there are structural/habitable parts to make the geometry line up, massive docking ports to hold it all together, probably some unique dedicated radiators, some massive communications dishes...

You could just recommend using Nertea's Kerbal Atomics and Near Future Tech for most of that stuff, just like how you tell people who want Russian rockets to check out Tantares.

2 hours ago, DarthVader said:

the apollo passive and active ports arent latching. also get structrual failures inbetween the engine mount and tank on S-IC with autostrut and rigid attach on.

I autostrut to heaviest part the LES, SM tank, S-IVB tank, and S-II tank. Nothing else. Never have problems.

15 hours ago, Jso said:

I autostrut to heaviest part the LES, SM tank, S-IVB tank, and S-II tank. Nothing else. Never have problems.

That might be my problem, I autostrutted every part to heaviest part and rigid attached everything. Solid as a rock 

16 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

no, that doesn't work that way, not all parts are stressed the same way, it's like @Jso said.

Then how does it work? I too auto strut every part to root and root part to heaviest, then set every thing to rigid attach. I do that with every rocket now and it seems to work well.

Now that Sigma Dimensions and Kopernicus are up to date, I thought I would try Kscale64 again. It seems I have an error and I was wondering if it is necessarily important or if this mod was actual cause.

From my KSP.log

[LOG 14:54:40.974] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Saturn/@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1C_Tankage] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S1C_Tankage/bluedog_Saturn_S1C_Tankage
[LOG 14:54:41.005] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Saturn/@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount/bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount
[LOG 14:54:41.007] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.008] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.008] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Saturn/@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount/bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount
[LOG 14:54:41.009] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.010] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.010] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Saturn/@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount/bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount
[LOG 14:54:41.011] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.012] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.012] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Saturn/@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount/bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount
[LOG 14:54:41.013] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.014] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.014] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Saturn/@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount/bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount
[LOG 14:54:41.015] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.016] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.031] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Solids/@PART[bluedog_Delta_GEM*,bluedog_Diamant_*,bluedog_castorSRB,bluedog_alcyone,bluedog_Castor*,bluedog_star*,bluedog_Soltan_*,bluedog_Titan_SRB*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[SolidFuel]] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Delta/bluedog_Delta_GEM40/bluedog_Delta_GEM40

Any ideas?

Thanks

28 minutes ago, NyanTurian said:

Now that Sigma Dimensions and Kopernicus are up to date, I thought I would try Kscale64 again. It seems I have an error and I was wondering if it is necessarily important or if this mod was actual cause.

From my KSP.log

[LOG 14:54:40.974] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Saturn/@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1C_Tankage] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S1C_Tankage/bluedog_Saturn_S1C_Tankage
[LOG 14:54:41.005] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Saturn/@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount/bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount
[LOG 14:54:41.007] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.008] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.008] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Saturn/@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount/bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount
[LOG 14:54:41.009] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.010] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.010] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Saturn/@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount/bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount
[LOG 14:54:41.011] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.012] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.012] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Saturn/@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount/bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount
[LOG 14:54:41.013] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.014] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.014] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Saturn/@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S1C_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S2_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount,bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount/bluedog_Saturn_S4_EngineMount
[LOG 14:54:41.015] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.016] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
[LOG 14:54:41.031] [ModuleManager] Applying node Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/64K/Solids/@PART[bluedog_Delta_GEM*,bluedog_Diamant_*,bluedog_castorSRB,bluedog_alcyone,bluedog_Castor*,bluedog_star*,bluedog_Soltan_*,bluedog_Titan_SRB*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[SolidFuel]] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/Delta/bluedog_Delta_GEM40/bluedog_Delta_GEM40

Any ideas?

Thanks

What seemed to be the issue?

1 hour ago, NyanTurian said:

Now that Sigma Dimensions and Kopernicus are up to date, I thought I would try Kscale64 again.

Is that from the released version or the latest from github?

Edit: Just updated git to get rid of those old files - we could really use some 6.4x flight tests.

Edited by Jso

16 minutes ago, Jso said:

Edit: Just updated git to get rid of those old files - we could really use some 6.4x flight tests.

Haven't had any troubles in 6.4x yet, barring atlas vega not having enough umph to make a Mun shot (should it?), but yeah, kill/comment out the Saturn rescale configs for the moment, they certainly aren't up to speed with the new system.

(testing resumes tomorrow night for me, unfortunately, silly work and such... *grumble)

1 hour ago, minepagan said:

What seemed to be the issue?

The issue is that I'm not sure sure if that part is safe to use or will it affect the rest of the mod? 

18 minutes ago, Jso said:

Yes, the latest version of Sigma Dimensions (v0.60), Kopernicus (1.2.1-1), and KScale64 v1.302.

I just flew a sort of Saturn V cargo lifter version with the 5.6m parts, like how Skylab was launched. There was some interesting effects with the engine mount reported as having an error in my KSP.log. After decoupling the S-IC from the SII, the ullage fired on the S-II and the retro rockets on the engine mount. Then I noticed about 30 seconds later the S-IC had exploded with lots of debris. The g-force tolerance was exceeded on the S-IC main tank by about 1000/50g and 110/50g on the 5.6m decoupler as the in-flight log wrote. The launch was otherwise successful. 

What is the intended delta-v of the S-IC + S-II + S-IVB with the cargo in the fairing? I managed 7,940 m/s with 33,000 kg of cargo. The whole Saturn V system had a LEO payload capacity of well over 100,000 kg, so this seems some what low.