[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, onlinegamesz said:

This mod looks really awesome, I got already pretty much mods installed and this mod is around ~230 mb, will it make my ksp slower if I also install this mod on top of all my other mods?

I'd recommend using BDB in tandem with Tantares, their similar art styles really go well together (although BDB is significantly more fleshed out).

14 hours ago, hieywiey said:

I stumbled upon some photos showing Skylab's airlock (it's actually a Gemini door), and made an album to help.

(I didn't forget to reply to this no sir)

Thanks! I love how ridiculous it is - they basically did it to save money but it wound up costing more in the end. Everything about Skylab is so ridiculous / inefficient... :D

I can't really do it in BDB since, well, our Gemini doesn't even have doors like that...

On the subject of Agena, and realizing I am not in front of a KSP capable computer to check.   If there already isn't one, could the ability to DISABLE staging of the nose cone be added?   Should be a simple addition of a few lines of code to the CFG (one more module.)   But I have not looked into that personally.

Missing part:   I do not have in my current build, an adapter to mate the Gemini-BigG to the Titan rocket.  I have had to re-scale and invert the 0.9375 to 1.25 cone to make it work.    Any official part (or did it not get moved in the tech tree re-shuffle?)    I am operating a Tourist tour group service with my Gemini launchers :P    Got to make money some how...

TIA!

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

On the subject of Agena, and realizing I am not in front of a KSP capable computer to check.   If there already isn't one, could the ability to DISABLE staging of the nose cone be added?   Should be a simple addition of a few lines of code to the CFG (one more module.)   But I have not looked into that personally.

Missing part:   I do not have in my current build, an adapter to mate the Gemini-BigG to the Titan rocket.  I have had to re-scale and invert the 0.9375 to 1.25 cone to make it work.    Any official part (or did it not get moved in the tech tree re-shuffle?)    I am operating a Tourist tour group service with my Gemini launchers :P    Got to make money some how...

I am pretty sure you can disable staging already?

And Big G was never finished past the parts @Beale made (for those that don't know, those were his models), which basically is the crew cabin and the larger 2.5m heatshield. Any further parts required for it (and, most of the Gemini variants) simply don't exist at this time.

DEVELOPMENT STREAM TONIGHT COME HAVE FUN AND GET STDS

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I am pretty sure you can disable staging already?

And Big G was never finished past the parts @Beale made (for those that don't know, those were his models), which basically is the crew cabin and the larger 2.5m heatshield. Any further parts required for it (and, most of the Gemini variants) simply don't exist at this time.

DEVELOPMENT STREAM TONIGHT COME HAVE FUN AND GET STDS

WELLL that splains that :)  Yup I am now in-front of my KSP computer and can confirm the Agena question.   I will make due with BigG as is and come up with an "innovative" err regiggured CSM for it.

More CFG question/request.   Can we get the SR-119 version of the Castor-120?  When building a full MX missile out of the parts (to launch satellites cheaper than Thor!) the 2nd stage will overheat and could explode depending on payload (lighter payload = quicker splosion!)   No changes to the model are needed. just either a change to the CFG so the higher temp threshold SR-119 is modeled or preferably a MM copy of the 118 (basic 1st Stage Castor-120,) because the 118 has a slightly different fuel mixture = altered burn profile for upper atmosphere flight.   In real life, even though they are dimensional similar, the SR-118 and SR-119 are made by different companies and have different nozzles but those are mostly buried IN the rocket so hence my comment about not needing a model change.   BTW the Castor-30 3rd stage would be the SR-120 using this alternative nomenclature.

Also not certain if it is due to the other mods I am using but I am having issues with certain engines (CASTOR-120 being most prevelant) loosing their aft, engine fairing at mission load..  After it fails at mission load, I have to go into KSP, Discard the part and then recreate the stage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minotaur_IV

Edited by Pappystein

I would like to report an issue.

sGKl1Hc.jpg

All of the Saturn parts are slightly larger than normal sizes - Except for Skylab, oddly enough. I have no idea what causes this, but my mod list includes Sigma Dimensions and Tweakscale, so maybe one of them is the problem.

3 hours ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

I did.

Then remove it if you don't want all the Saturn parts rescaled to 6.375m/4.25m. The current iteration of the rescale patch only applies to the Saturn components, not Skylab. If you want to use the rescale patch, then I recommend using Procedural Fairings to create an interstage to interface the S-IVB 4.25m to Skylab's 3.75m base. Only other option is to wait for someone to add the Skylab components to the saturn_rescale.cfg file. I'm looking at it now and I'm not brave good enough with the MM patches to try to make it work, so I'll defer to the design team.

Alrighty everyone, I forgot to post last night so here goes. The earlyRockets parts (The Thor, Vanguard, Redstone, Able, and Ablestar families) are now tentatively up on Github. Please feel free to take a look and give me feedback on what they look like in game. There are still some lingering issues (some inconsistencies with the thickness of the panel lines, the engine fairings didn't have their colors adjusted, etc.) but overall they're most of the way there. I just know there must be some details I missed. Let me know what y'all think!

pSZGcSy.png

EDIT: Also, @akron just released a beta for the new version of Probes+, and you should all czech it out.

Edited by CobaltWolf

43 minutes ago, akron said:

@CobaltWolf Did any of those UV maps change? Can I just drop the new textures in? If so I'll try this on career

New textures and new .mu files but nothing save breaking. The colliders nodes etc didn't change. Just some tweaking of the UVs, new materials which is why the .mu files need to be updated... but yeah.

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

New textures and new .mu files but nothing save breaking. The colliders nodes etc didn't change. Just some tweaking of the UVs, new materials which is why the .mu files need to be updated... but yeah.

I may cautiously try to update my career save. No Gemini yet, correct? I need that Gemini in my life RN

10 hours ago, Abrecan said:

Saturn V-23(L) - My workhorse for interplanetary missions

WOaJoG7.png

Are you sure it has 2 engines on the boosters?

I'm not saying it doesn't, I really have no clue. If you found a source, any chance you could point me to it?

On 4/13/2017 at 8:21 PM, Pappystein said:

More CFG question/request.   Can we get the SR-119 version of the Castor-120?  When building a full MX missile out of the parts (to launch satellites cheaper than Thor!) the 2nd stage will overheat and could explode depending on payload (lighter payload = quicker splosion!)   No changes to the model are needed. just either a change to the CFG so the higher temp threshold SR-119 is modeled or preferably a MM copy of the 118 (basic 1st Stage Castor-120,) because the 118 has a slightly different fuel mixture = altered burn profile for upper atmosphere flight.   In real life, even though they are dimensional similar, the SR-118 and SR-119 are made by different companies and have different nozzles but those are mostly buried IN the rocket so hence my comment about not needing a model change.   BTW the Castor-30 3rd stage would be the SR-120 using this alternative nomenclature.

I'm not sure what you're getting at about the heat, but I'm a big Athena fan so we might be able to put some configs together in Extras. I've been considering swapping out the thrust curves on the Castor 120's anyway. They're somewhat flat, I think regressive would be more appropriate.

3 hours ago, minepagan said:

Are you sure it has 2 engines on the boosters?

in fact it does have x2 F-1's per booster. to quote from astronautix -

Saturn MS-LRB-23(L)

Part of Saturn LRB stage series Family

LOx/Kerosene propellant rocket stage. Liquid rocket booster strap-ons using 2 F-1's.

Status: Study 1967. Thrust: 15,486.60 kN (3,481,526 lbf). Gross mass: 874,100 kg (1,927,000 lb). Unfuelled mass: 18,100 kg (39,900 lb). Specific impulse: 304 s. Specific impulse sea level: 265 s. Burn time: 162 s. Height: 47.85 m (156.98 ft). Diameter: 6.61 m (21.68 ft). Span: 6.61 m (21.68 ft).

No Engines: 2.

Also, link to the LV: http://www.astronautix.com/s/saturnv-23l.html

Saturn MLV 5-23L

Edited by Abrecan

5 hours ago, Abrecan said:

[snipped]

Gotcha. I'll fix the one on kerbalx soon(tm)

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Drool...

capsulesapproach65.jpg

Oh, you're using FASA parts as texture references?

Edited by minepagan

23 hours ago, Jso said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at about the heat, but I'm a big Athena fan so we might be able to put some configs together in Extras. I've been considering swapping out the thrust curves on the Castor 120's anyway. They're somewhat flat, I think regressive would be more appropriate.

@Jso,  So I built a two Castor-120 , 1x Castor 30 Rocket with an Agena B based satellite on top.  First issue, the Inter-stage fairing/shroud on the engine will disappear at physics load.  This is with BDB + SSTU only or BDB+ lots of mods.   Generally ONE of the two Castor 120s would loose it shroud, not both.    Not certain the cause.  This persists on return to the VAB.  I have to delete the part that lost it's shroud and replace it to get the shroud back.

I put a 1.5m Heat Shield on each stage since I was using the FMRS to recover the stages to save Funds.    First stage was fine, when I recovered it after orbit it was as well. 

2nd Stage, still a  Castor 120.  Only difference from stage one is I have Drogue chutes on it  In my SSTU/BDB only build on this laptop, I loose the drogues because there is  not an easy way to change the deploy altitude (No RealChute.)  Anyway about 2/3ds of the way through the burn the thing starts overheating and it transfers heat to other parts quickly.  The Stage and coupler generally fail at the same time (so each side of my 1.5m dia heat shield.)  Failure was in space (over 70km.)    If this points to the Heat sheild being the cause then Heat problem is likely contained if not solved.

Notes on the setup:

• I made 8x launches (4 each build as described above.)   I had 2 Failures on the Big Build, 1 failure on the simple BDB-SSTU build.  
  • I used the SSTU Heat shield and it is set to HEAVY...   I don't think the .025m difference in Diameter is the cause in this but hey, I could be wrong.
  • I was flying a Polar launch and my ascent angle varied from 70 down to 60 degrees above the horizon (more up than out.)   No I did not do a gravity turn.   The Castor 30 is to get me up to near orbital speed :)
  • The agena is Naked on the rocket, not shrouded but with a nosecone and a heat shield/radiator combo of it;s own so it can survive re-entry.  It makes space every time.   
  • Stage 2 survived TOO SPACE intact, less than 1/3rd of my launches.  The Rocket might itself survive, but parts would explode off (Non RealChute Parachutes for example.)   I didn't count these as total failures like listed in point 1.
  • Unrelated to this but every BDB SRM I have dropped since using FMRS drops tail first.  Ones with nosecones should be dropping Nose first (nosecone is  heavier than rear nozzle after burnout.)  This tail first dropping leads to  a lot of weird gyrations as they freefall.  But this also increases the risk of a SRM striking the launching rocket.  Not sure if this is a COL issue or COM issue or a combination.

Final concern re CASTOR-120, after the re-alignment of the career placement, is Castor-120 too cheap?   Or is Thor too expensive?    Alternatively does one or the other need a Buff/Nerf?   MX based RW payloads to LEO orbit are just under 2 tones (2000kg.)   Thorad-A/B was good for 500kg not counting the 3400kg Agena.    In game I can get a RW mass 3400kg Agena with out appreciable payload (solar panels, various science experiments and the Agena Nosecone with Heat Shield (most mass) and chutes for recovery. into orbit on both launchers.