[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Uhmmm... So, I'm using RSS, RealFuels, some other part mods, and SMURFF, and these BDB fuel tanks still only hold generic Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer. Is there any config I can get to fix this?

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

wha??? Those are the old textures. What's wrong?

NM, glitch gone. You'd think I'd know how to update my own mod by now.

4 hours ago, Ithirahad said:

Uhmmm... So, I'm using RSS, RealFuels, some other part mods, and SMURFF, and these BDB fuel tanks still only hold generic Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer. Is there any config I can get to fix this?

There's some stock-alike real fuels configs in extras on github.

20 hours ago, Ithirahad said:

I won't give a full tutorial on this but it wasn't hard to look at existing MM scripts and make my own.  I don't use or even like Real Fuels but I DO use alternate fuel.   I created a bunch of MM files that not only give me the fuel support list from @Shadowmage SSTU mod, but I have with little difficulty extended it to include WFNA, RFNA and Hyrdazine in addition to SSTU's stock "Hypergolic" AZ-50/NTO fuel combo.  I did this with help from both Shadowmage and @JoseEduardo in addition to a lot of trial and errors.   Even still the SSTU Gui does not like the extra fuel I have added but, my only real problem is I have too many Hypergolic fuels now and I keep launching Delta-Es without the correct fuel for the upper stage (RFNA/Hydrazine!)

RE the stock fuel conversion process I took the stock fuel load total multiplied it by 6 (this if for LFO)   this ROUGHLY converts it to liters as used by SSTU and Real Fuels.  Of course that assumes that the original LFO mix was accurate.   I know some people will tell you Multiply the total by 5.54 or similar numbers but I found it did not work out because it was not taking into account several RW factors.   6 is closer to correct and easier math to boot!

If you want your tanks to be multi-purpose and not just launch one particular rocket like they did in the real world you are better of Scragging RealFuels and switching to something that offers fuel switching like SSTU (hence me using SSTU instead of Real Fuels.)   To tell you a dirty secret.  EVERY Saturn I have launched in the past 6 months has had BDB fuel tanks and a combination of BDB and SSTU engines on it.    The exact fitment depends on the $ value I am willing to spend and the roll of the Rocket.   EG I have a MM to create the HG-3 using the SSTU J-2X engine bell, but the S-IVB stage might fly with a BDB J-2T-250K engine (PS @Jso are we going to see the J-2T-500K?)

58 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

If you want your tanks to be multi-purpose and not just launch one particular rocket like they did in the real world you are better of Scragging RealFuels and switching to something that offers fuel switching like SSTU (hence me using SSTU instead of Real Fuels.)   To tell you a dirty secret.  EVERY Saturn I have launched in the past 6 months has had BDB fuel tanks and a combination of BDB and SSTU engines on it.    The exact fitment depends on the $ value I am willing to spend and the roll of the Rocket.   EG I have a MM to create the HG-3 using the SSTU J-2X engine bell, but the S-IVB stage might fly with a BDB J-2T-250K engine (PS @Jso are we going to see the J-2T-500K?)

Ehmm, what? I can see plenty of uses for these tanks in several of my rockets (including some silly liquid boosters, some MethaLOX rockets, silly long sounding rockets...) and I don't see what's limiting about RF here. Thanks for the help anyway, but after looking around a bit I've decided that I'll just use the stock/Ven's tanks until I unlock the RealScaleBoosters parts.

Edited by Ithirahad

2 hours ago, Ithirahad said:

Ehmm, what? I can see plenty of uses for these tanks in several of my rockets (including some silly liquid boosters, some MethaLOX rockets, silly long sounding rockets...) and I don't see what's limiting about RF here. Thanks for the help anyway, but after looking around a bit I've decided that I'll just use the stock/Ven's tanks until I unlock the RealScaleBoosters parts.

k bye

Personal annoyances aside, though, this mod is great... I like the variety of engines and probe parts I've gotten to start off. These integrated probe cores - Suomi, I think - are just wonderful to use, and I can see myself using the long skinny probe cores as Star Trek-style launchable probes when I build a NearFuturePropulsion mothership.

Near future propulsion????  I love @Nertea mods but Why wait!   Just launch a Titan with the MOL 5x adaptor and build a 4 bone skeletal "Tinker Toy" Ship.   I swapped engines in space (Separator and a fuel line + KIS/KAS makes this easy) and converted my former titan rocket (only thing left is MOL components after final launch) and Viola a Rocket to the starz!

Back in my 2.5m Gemini days (FASA) I ran a 3 abreast Titan based stack with Big-G as my command Module....   Made it to Jool and Back without ISRU  That was using FTmN, FASA and RLA as my only part mods with KIS/KAS to replace engines and securely connect each stage as I launched it from Kerbin the only "cheaty" part... was I made a MM file to convert FASA tanks to H2+O2 and FTmN to run on H2 or H2+O2 in Afterburner mode.   Using Stage 1 of a Titan IV to lift Hydrogen tanks or Nuclear Engines was challenging but I managed to make my bird in low orbit. 

Edited by Pappystein
Photos were errased when my PC Krackend 2 months ago :(

9 hours ago, Ithirahad said:

well if you want to be locked into a specific engine with a specific tank then more power to you.  I didn't start playing KSP to have a NASA simulator and fly NASA missions....  For example I did a simple re-purpose of the LMAE(or was it LMDE) to make the TR-201 engine for the Delta-P....Real Fuels would require different tanks as well for the Delta-P because TR-201 and the AJ10-118K use different fuel mixture ratios. 

I feel like a yutz,  RF allows reconfiguring... I think I mistook IFS and it's less than ideal implementation in many mods to be RF.   I retract all statements right above except that of NASA simulator.

Edited by Pappystein
mea culpa

Some misc canoodling in Maya due to @TimothyC's prodding, and because I can't find my tablet pen at the moment. Large Diameter Titan parts, to fill out the 3.125m size family, and a test of the E-1 engine, seeing how much I can reuse from F-1. It needs a lot of work still.

si9lORX.png

2OSVfVg.png

XsvM7Zg.png

TeWd0vN.png

Just now, Rory Yammomoto said:

Saturn 1E first stages. For a trip to Minmus with a vaguely Skylab-shaped thing, turned out to be under-kill.

Yup you need a Saturn S-IVC to really get it there....   Did you check DeltaV with USRM in lieu of the S-1E stage?   Until the UA156x family show up I have been subbing in USRM because it is more efficient than the UA1207.  It isn't quite up to UA156 for raw performance ( so 6x instead of 4x radial) but you get the idea.  It is either that or I make a 4x Pyrios boosted Saturn V-MLV with SSTU engines (for their pretty Pyrios engine mount.)

Just now, Pappystein said:

Yup you need a Saturn S-IVC to really get it there....   Did you check DeltaV with USRM in lieu of the S-1E stage?   Until the UA156x family show up I have been subbing in USRM because it is more efficient than the UA1207.  It isn't quite up to UA156 for raw performance ( so 6x instead of 4x radial) but you get the idea.  It is either that or I make a 4x Pyrios boosted Saturn V-MLV with SSTU engines (for their pretty Pyrios engine mount.)

Oh, I did a bit more than that.

-4 dual Saturn 1E-tanked boosters (asparagus'd to the core) with 1 F-1 each

-Saturn 1C

-8-engined Saturn SII

-3-engined Saturn SIVC

-Skylab Minmus base w/ landing legs and 8 small MP engines

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Some misc canoodling in Maya due to @TimothyC's prodding, and because I can't find my tablet pen at the moment. Large Diameter Titan parts, to fill out the 3.125m size family, and a test of the E-1 engine, seeing how much I can reuse from F-1. It needs a lot of work still.

2OSVfVg.png

XsvM7Zg.png

Really???  Two of my wishes at ONCE!   Christmas in Jul...errr May!  

I assume that 5 bell engine is an LR-87 5 bell derivative?   Is it Hydrolox or Hypergolic?

2 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

Oh, I did a bit more than that.

-4 dual Saturn 1E-tanked boosters (asparagus'd to the core) with 1 F-1 each

-Saturn 1C

-8-engined Saturn SII

-3-engined Saturn SIVC

-Skylab Minmus base w/ landing legs and 8 small MP engines

Damn!   That is a lot of rocket.   Swapping out to F-1A or F-1B is probably not your solution either, unless you add even MOAR tanks.    Wow!   What is you TWR for your Saturn II stack up?

Edited by Pappystein
added question

1 minute ago, Pappystein said:

Damn!   That is a lot of rocket.   Swapping out to F-1A or F-1B is probably not your solution either, unless you add even MOAR tanks.    Wow!

Oh, I did. F1As and J2Ss all around. I eventually got it to Minmus... the 2-tank boosters did the trick.