[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

49 minutes ago, minepagan said:

idk, maybe the folder in the download labeled "extras"? :P

SASS DETECTOR IS DETECTING A HIGH LEVEL OF SASSSSSSS

But I mean Like to download the "extras" Folder. Do i drag it all in the Gamedata or what.

Also whats the "Titan.md" and the "SaturnMB.cnf" and how to install them?

1 hour ago, Starslinger999 said:

idk, maybe the folder in the download labeled "extras"? :P

Did you download Mechjeb? Because you just activated S.M.A.R.T A.S.S.

Edited by TheRedTom

2 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

But I mean Like to download the "extras" Folder. Do i drag it all in the Gamedata or what.

The Titan stuff modified the Titan rocket, idk what it does exactly (moar realism?).

The SaturnMB file adds in all the stuff from ETS, like Saturn Multibody, Apollo Bl.IV, and the S-IVC

EDIT: And yes, you just dump whatever you want into the gamedata folder IIRC (although the only one I've ever used was the SaturnMB)

Edited by minepagan

11 hours ago, minepagan said:

The Titan stuff modified the Titan rocket, idk what it does exactly (moar realism?).

The SaturnMB file adds in all the stuff from ETS, like Saturn Multibody, Apollo Bl.IV, and the S-IVC

EDIT: And yes, you just dump whatever you want into the gamedata folder IIRC (although the only one I've ever used was the SaturnMB)

K thx.

20 hours ago, minepagan said:

idk, maybe the button on the OP that says "development"?

Calm down :P

20 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

*facepalm* Hiding in plain sight :P

Also, How to download extras?

Handy dandy guide, for anyone wondering.

18 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

"Titan.md" and "SaturnMB.cnf"???

15 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Haven't checked the thread in a few weeks and I come back to this absolutely stunning work. Looks beautiful!

Thanks br0.

Screenshot tax time, redone Titan 1 first stage (engine hasn't gotten full treatment, just adjusted colors) and WIP Titan SRBs. Sort of an 'announcement' but I do plan on finishing the Titan SRB decoupler as part of this work. In general if there are any parts you're desperately 'missing' (ie that really should be there, but aren't...) please let me know and I'll see if I can cram them into these updates. It's somewhat slow going - the urge to keep tweaking and perfecting these textures is strong, and I'm spending far more time than is strictly necessary on everything. I think the results are looking to be worth it, though.

wJugvM9.png

aE7lRJn.png

1 minute ago, Starslinger999 said:

Quick question: is it just me, or are these rockets just flat out OP for stock KSP? Are they meant for RSS? If so, Can I has configs for Stock Ksp?

They are meant for 3.2x+ if you want a challenge I think.

25 minutes ago, Starslinger999 said:

Quick question: is it just me, or are these rockets just flat out OP for stock KSP? Are they meant for RSS? If so, Can I has configs for Stock Ksp?

22 minutes ago, Jall said:

They are meant for 3.2x+ if you want a challenge I think.

Copied from the old FAQ cus I'm a lazy boye:
NOTE – BDB is balanced to have parts inline with stock values. This means that the rockets significantly overperform in the stock system. The alternative would be to have parts that are very underpowered compared to contemporary parts. To achieve proper balance, we recommend using a 3.2x rescale, which requires rockets to be built with more realistic proportions.

So, basically, assuming that the Mk1 command pod is the same diameter as a kerbal-scale Mercury capsule, then if you build a kerbal scale Saturn (for example) you'll have ~160% of the dV that you need (3700 dV vs 5500dV to make orbit). In 3.2x, the rockets should perform roughly accurately (with obvious issues with rounding the diameters to fixed sizes, etc). The takeaway should be, parts made with stock performance values (despite being nerfed compared to real life!) are severely overpowered in the tiny stock solar system.

19 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

NOTE – BDB is balanced to have parts inline with stock values. This means that the rockets significantly overperform in the stock system.

Er... now I'm confused, because these two sentences appear to contradict each other (unless I'm misunderstanding either or both, which is entirely possible).  Are you saying that the BDB download is overpowered in relation to the stock parts in the stock solar system?   Or are you saying that the stock parts are overpowered, and so the BDB parts are balanced to be "the same kind of overpowered?"    (Or something else?)

Just now, MaxwellsDemon said:

Er... now I'm confused, because these two sentences appear to contradict each other (unless I'm misunderstanding either or both, which is entirely possible).  Are you saying that the BDB download is overpowered in relation to the stock parts in the stock solar system?   Or are you saying that the stock parts are overpowered, and so the BDB parts are balanced to be "the same kind of overpowered?"    (Or something else?)

the latter, If I'm not mistaken.

2 minutes ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

Stock Parts are overpowered so if you do something "Stockalike" and want it to be in par with stock parts, then it will also be overpowered

On 3/29/2017 at 11:24 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Screenshot tax time, redone Titan 1 first stage (engine hasn't gotten full treatment, just adjusted colors)

In general if there are any parts you're desperately 'missing' (ie that really should be there, but aren't...) please let me know and I'll see if I can cram them into these updates.

Um, first WOW @CobaltWolf the fidelity of the textures is leaps and bounds better than the same textures before.   And that is saying something because they were very good before!  You have learned a lot since many of these textures were first made.

2nd,   Currently you have all the Titan parts renamed to names that did not exist.... EXCEPT one... the SOLTAN SRB which was to be developed for Titan, is a 100" segmented booster and father of the UA-120x family.  Scale is right as is thrust per our discussions offline. But unlike every other Titan part, the Soltan is using it's original name.   The only difference is the Description text that says it was developed for Titan I (it was in fact developed for Titan II.)    Is this intentional or did it not get changed because few people knew what it was?

3rd, a small set of requests due to a personal need that would help you when you finally try to conquer the Titan advanced derivatives (I Hope.)   I have need of LR-87-AJ-9 engines (Ground start for Heavy load Titan III rockets, I can make a MM to make this if needed but it would be nice if it was "official" ) the UA1202 again for Titan IIIs but with light/bulky payloads,  and UA1563 and UA1564 3 and 4 segment SRBs.

As a non Modeler, I don't know how much work it is to add or remove segments from a segmented SRB,  If it is easy then the entire UA120x family (1,2,3,4,6) would be appreciated, I can provide hard numbers if you need them.  If it is HARD then it can wait until you have time to focus on the alternative Titan Rockets including Behemoth and other rockets that were derived from Titan Rocket Technology.   If it is easy to strip parts off of a model, then the UA156 should just be re-scaled UA120x rockets with either 3 or 4 main segments sans the ugly Hydraulic booster tank. 

My main reason for asking (for the UA-156xes now) is with the profile I fly the Saturn II-INT-18 derived from only BDB parts is having issues carrying smaller than max weight payloads to a basic 100km circular orbit.   (I am using NRAP to simulate the masses.)    the UA-1207s burn out before the J-2s have the ability to lift the core stages to easy orbit with the flight profile I am running (MechJeb)

@CobaltWolf Nice new textures :wink:

I have a question regarding the Saturn Rescale MM Patch - after applying it now all modules for the Lifters fit together except that now the Apollo (Kane) Modules are off - the Petal Fairings do not line up with the CSM Correctly as the CSM and Pod are a little bit smaller.

Any plans to add this to the patch ?

So I FINALLY had a few minutes yesterday to play with the latest BDB+SSTU+ProbesPlus builds.  

My first Rocket was not my normal RT-5/Capsule.  It was a LF stage from BDB.  Cleared 7000m with the 3 engine Navajo engine.   Awesome

My second flight was a sounding rocket to get more science to unlock several parts (Radial Chutes, and Atlas.)

Third flight (having done some crazy Science stuff in the middle) was a bare-bones Atlas... with Vega on top.  My first VEGA flight Pioneer-2 satellite  orbited.....   Vega had enough fuel that I was able to recover it (Fuel to break.  Fuel to slow down to ~1100m/s and Radial chutes that were protected by the curve of Vega's hull to land.

Wow.  Previoulsy  with the old tech tree layout I was 3 flights for a tiny satellite (Explorer 1)   I could have used the Atlas Vega to send Jeb around the mun (I did that in Flight 4!)

Love the Tech tree changes.  

2 hours ago, Jasseji said:

@CobaltWolf Nice new textures :wink:

I have a question regarding the Saturn Rescale MM Patch - after applying it now all modules for the Lifters fit together except that now the Apollo (Kane) Modules are off - the Petal Fairings do not line up with the CSM Correctly as the CSM and Pod are a little bit smaller.

Any plans to add this to the patch ?

The problem is he has to make a new model to fix it, but he was busy with skylab and now the texture revamp.

19 hours ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

Got it.   I installed BDB yesterday and haven't had much chance to fiddle yet, but if it was going to throw everything I already have off...

No, the point is that parts have performance exactly inline with stock parts. :)

16 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Um, first WOW @CobaltWolf the fidelity of the textures is leaps and bounds better than the same textures before.   And that is saying something because they were very good before!  You have learned a lot since many of these textures were first made.

2nd,   Currently you have all the Titan parts renamed to names that did not exist.... EXCEPT one... the SOLTAN SRB which was to be developed for Titan, is a 100" segmented booster and father of the UA-120x family.  Scale is right as is thrust per our discussions offline. But unlike every other Titan part, the Soltan is using it's original name.   The only difference is the Description text that says it was developed for Titan I (it was in fact developed for Titan II.)    Is this intentional or did it not get changed because few people knew what it was?

3rd, a small set of requests due to a personal need that would help you when you finally try to conquer the Titan advanced derivatives (I Hope.)   I have need of LR-87-AJ-9 engines (Ground start for Heavy load Titan III rockets, I can make a MM to make this if needed but it would be nice if it was "official" ) the UA1202 again for Titan IIIs but with light/bulky payloads,  and UA1563 and UA1564 3 and 4 segment SRBs.

As a non Modeler, I don't know how much work it is to add or remove segments from a segmented SRB,  If it is easy then the entire UA120x family (1,2,3,4,6) would be appreciated, I can provide hard numbers if you need them.  If it is HARD then it can wait until you have time to focus on the alternative Titan Rockets including Behemoth and other rockets that were derived from Titan Rocket Technology.   If it is easy to strip parts off of a model, then the UA156 should just be re-scaled UA120x rockets with either 3 or 4 main segments sans the ugly Hydraulic booster tank.

My main reason for asking (for the UA-156xes now) is with the profile I fly the Saturn II-INT-18 derived from only BDB parts is having issues carrying smaller than max weight payloads to a basic 100km circular orbit.   (I am using NRAP to simulate the masses.)    the UA-1207s burn out before the J-2s have the ability to lift the core stages to easy orbit with the flight profile I am running (MechJeb)

Thanks!

The SOLTAN is named the 'Sultan', not the SOLTAN, right? And yeah, I wrote that they were for the Prometheus I since I figured nobody knew what they were, and it made sense to put them there.

I'd like the UA156x to have more bespoke textures. The current Titan solid textures have run their course IMO. If you look at the texture, the 'panels' on the segments (each segment is 2x rows of 4x panels) are basically just chosen from 5 different ones on the texture sheet. The result is they look very repetitive. I feel like I've added enough parts using those same repeating textures at this point. If not for that, it would be an easy thing to do model-wise. :/

i5J4UMM.png

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The SOLTAN is named the 'Sultan', not the SOLTAN, right? And yeah, I wrote that they were for the Prometheus I since I figured nobody knew what they were, and it made sense to put them there.

I'd like the UA156x to have more bespoke textures. The current Titan solid textures have run their course IMO. If you look at the texture, the 'panels' on the segments (each segment is 2x rows of 4x panels) are basically just chosen from 5 different ones on the texture sheet. The result is they look very repetitive. I feel like I've added enough parts using those same repeating textures at this point. If not for that, it would be an easy thing to do model-wise.

1st)  DOH!!!!   Stupid MM file for re-naming stuff...   My bad!   But on that subject line, given they are the same lineage would they not end up with a UA100x nomenclature (UA120x being 120" Rocket, thus UA100 for 100"?)   I have found no sort of designation for the Soltan/Sultan online.

2nd) So it was said I tried to learn things...  The Texture files are attached at some-point to the model and thus are part of or almost-directly connected to the mu file in some way?  IE if you re-scaled and pulled / added Segments to a SRB it would be a lot more work to create a new texture because you would have to do other work to the mu file first?   

Given your above statements (and I appreciate the reply on them all, )  for the short term I should re-scale the UA1205 rocket for my UA-156 needs with a MM file.   RGR and understood.   I will also make a MM for the LR-87-AJ-9 for My Titan IIIs.  I will wait for any other UA-120x variants you might make.

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

1st)  DOH!!!!   Stupid MM file for re-naming stuff...   My bad!   But on that subject line, given they are the same lineage would they not end up with a UA100x nomenclature (UA120x being 120" Rocket, thus UA100 for 100"?)   I have found no sort of designation for the Soltan/Sultan online.

2nd) So it was said I tried to learn things...  The Texture files are attached at some-point to the model and thus are part of or almost-directly connected to the mu file in some way?  IE if you re-scaled and pulled / added Segments to a SRB it would be a lot more work to create a new texture because you would have to do other work to the mu file first?   

Given your above statements (and I appreciate the reply on them all, )  for the short term I should re-scale the UA1205 rocket for my UA-156 needs with a MM file.   RGR and understood.   I will also make a MM for the LR-87-AJ-9 for My Titan IIIs.  I will wait for any other UA-120x variants you might make.

1) I'm not sure. @TimothyC might know but I think it's because they were before that nomenclature was established.

2) I'm not sure I follow. The model is made, and then a UV map is created - basically, taking the model, cutting it up, and laying it out on a 2D plane to map it to an image. If you look at the texture I posted, on the left hand side there are the 5 panels. So I was taking rectangular chunks of the booster walls and choosing which of those 5 panels to align them with. The result is that, they're very efficient on UV space, but they look repetitive. Adding or subtracting segments in the model is fairly simple - just add or remove segments from the middle, and perhaps change which panels some of the sections of the model are assigned to. I just feel that there are already a ton of UA120x boosters and we don't gain much from adding more, and I'd rather not reuse the textures for the UA156x boosters because they're already repetitive and I'd rather make more bespoke textures.

Now, to pay my screenshot tax...

unknown.pngunknown.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

2) I'm not sure I follow. The model is made, and then a UV map is created - basically, taking the model, cutting it up, and laying it out on a 2D plane to map it to an image. If you look at the texture I posted, on the left hand side there are the 5 panels. So I was taking rectangular chunks of the booster walls and choosing which of those 5 panels to align them with. The result is that, they're very efficient on UV space, but they look repetitive. Adding or subtracting segments in the model is fairly simple - just add or remove segments from the middle, and perhaps change which panels some of the sections of the model are assigned to. I just feel that there are already a ton of UA120x boosters and we don't gain much from adding more, and I'd rather not reuse the textures for the UA156x boosters because they're already repetitive and I'd rather make more bespoke textures.

Cool, yes that was what I meant... I just thought that they were more interconnected than you describe.  I completely understand the mindset and appreciate the help in understanding!