[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

For the ring around the fat cylinder, if it's going to be that subtle, I'd say just save the polys and let it be made in the texture.

EDIT:

http://mentallandscape.com/V_MassSpecV9a.jpg

I like this picture where the base plate is trapezoid shape and on the narrower part there is a box full of electronics. I don't think we have many instruments with a trapezoidal base, no?

That picture is literally the reference I've been using!

Update- Working on the model, I seem to be having trouble figuring out how to mirror an object on an axis...

Edited by VenomousRequiem

I figured since it was on that page I linked. :) I think the stripes will add to it a lot.

What are you trying to mirror? I don't use Wings 3D but these seem helpful.

j8bnpJP.jpg

I took a 15 minute break to play with the shape. It's not too bad but it's a bit odd. I made a trapezoid, split it into four quadrants. Extrude the upper two inwards, flatten the sides. Extrude up to make the electronics bin. Extrude the two other blocks from their own quadrant. Put in the cylinders, then do the NURBS extrusion for the wires like I talked about in on of the posts above. It's sitting around ~700 polys right now. I could probably cut it down to something like 500 if I cleaned up the geometry from the edge loops and merged together some of the straighter parts of the wires. One thing I notice is that you want to make the base a bit taller than you would expect, so that if the model gets put on a rounded part, the bottom edges aren't as easily visible.

(I'm not going to use this model but I figured it might be helpful to see how I would do the geometry)

Maybe you could PM your Email or something and I'll send you the .obj file when I'm done with it.

Very nice model by the way! Way better then I could do... But I'm trying!

Yeah sure, I'll PM you. Thanks; like I said, I don't plan on using it. I just thought it might be helpful to see how I would go about doing it.

(Emailing would also mean we're not bumping the post every 10 minutes haha)

Either way, the bumping got me to see it; The parts look real cool, i'm going to install them as soon as I get a chance to ever play KSP again! >< It's also real cool to see a real science 'thingy' (I get to call it that being a scientist :P) as an in game part. Quadrupole mass spec is one of the more interesting analytical techniques available. I just hope the Kerbals are better at reading them than I am :P

Either way, the bumping got me to see it; The parts look real cool, i'm going to install them as soon as I get a chance to ever play KSP again! >< It's also real cool to see a real science 'thingy' (I get to call it that being a scientist :P) as an in game part. Quadrupole mass spec is one of the more interesting analytical techniques available. I just hope the Kerbals are better at reading them than I am :P

(Is that what that is?)

I'm glad you like them! They're not in game quite yet but they should be soon.

Yeah it looks great! I have some feedback here but for the most part they're curiosity and not any issue. The part is supposed to be about the size of the stock science instruments, correct?

http://i.imgur.com/3Jn88eL.jpg

I think it would look cool if you made a loop cut on the main body at the two green lines, extruded up where you have that little cube, and move the top edges inward to form a rectangle. But looking at it again I think I prefer the smaller one that just chills there. It seems like Maya may have better tools for making the wires you want. When you're done modeling you can just send me an obj and an image of where you want the wires and I can put them in.

Thank you! Yeah, I generally find the older stuff a lot more interesting. Especially the periods when we were still figuring out how everything works. Now, for example, most probes look very same-y with all the gold foil and such. And there are more than enough mods that aim to recreate things like the SLS. I made an Atlas V because the only one I know of, OMSK, is somewhat dead and I didn't care for the textures. But that's probably the only modern part I'll make unless another catches my eye. :)

I think my current plan is still just to implement the cameras as normal experiments and worry about making them compatible with hullcam or something later. I have very little interest in programming which means creating a bespoke plugin is very much outside the scope of this project.

Thanks! I definitely feel wayyy better about including it now.

I just looked into it. I made a little piece of debris that is invisible until the animation starts. It starts very far away from the detector and comes in very fast, striking it. Unfortunately it is very hard to make out so probably isn't worth it. Maybe I can look into spawning sparks using one of the stock effects? Like the one that appears when an engine flames out?

That could do, or you could let a small part of the detector are light up as you conduct the experiment, and then lets sparks eject from the wires.

That would look really cool, I really like experiment animations, simple ones like the materials bay or goo that opens and closes.

I would love something like that, It would be awsome if you could let a piece of debris fly into it.

With the specrometer you could let the coil light up (maybe emit light even, as a source)

So what's the next rocket?

Well apparently Venom is working on a Centaur now.

I have a lot of stuff in progress. Next update is probably going to include some more new science that me and Venom have been working on, and refreshes of the antenna and explorer parts. After that I would like to finish up the parts that were in the WIP gallery a few pages back. After that I'm unsure. Probably working on more small stuff. I'd like to make some probe cores, mayyyyybe a couple dishes if people aren't sick of remotetech parts. There will probably be another rocket in there but I'm not sure what. Probably something related to Thor.

That could do, or you could let a small part of the detector are light up as you conduct the experiment, and then lets sparks eject from the wires.

That would look really cool, I really like experiment animations, simple ones like the materials bay or goo that opens and closes.

I would love something like that, It would be awsome if you could let a piece of debris fly into it.

With the specrometer you could let the coil light up (maybe emit light even, as a source)

It would be very cool! I'll have to look into animating textures, I'm not entirely sure how to do it. I do like animated science!

Can you make some of your science experiments give 100% transmission. I mean some of. It most of them are designed to be early iterations of probe experiments right? They never returned. So to only give some transmission doesn't exactly make sense.

Can you make some of your science experiments give 100% transmission. I mean some of. It most of them are designed to be early iterations of probe experiments right? They never returned. So to only give some transmission doesn't exactly make sense.

Yes. The science parts are getting looked at this update; their cfgs were just quickly implemented for the first release and haven't been touched since.

It would be very cool! I'll have to look into animating textures, I'm not entirely sure how to do it. I do like animated science!

Well, you dont need to change the texture, if you can animate parts you can quickly let a colored panel slide up and the gray panel down and back up again.

How about a stockalike Mercury-Atlas, seeing as you already have the Redstone engine.

A Redstone fuel tank would be nice to go with the engine too.

Looking forward to more science parts ������

Maybe old Atlas... put it in the tech level between the 1.25m rockets and the 2.5m. Maybe do it as a 1.875m rocket..? 2.5m always struck me as being too big for it.

Well, you dont need to change the texture, if you can animate parts you can quickly let a colored panel slide up and the gray panel down and back up again.

I'll look into it. :)

38aLgQw.png

Mass Spectrometer is in game but needs science defs. Up next - geiger counter! That should round out the early science parts... I think. Maybe. I'm not really worried about having too many; I'd rather try and represent some of the breadth of scientific instrumentation and leave it to the player to adjust their science return value. Besides, if I put enough in you won't be able to put all the parts on a single probe like in stock haha.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Maybe old Atlas... put it in the tech level between the 1.25m rockets and the 2.5m. Maybe do it as a 1.875m rocket..? 2.5m always struck me as being too big for it.

Cool, im using a stock built atlas and the 2.5 rockomax jumbo makes it look like it binged at an all-you-can-eat :-s

I'll look into it. :)

http://i.imgur.com/38aLgQw.png

Mass Spectrometer is in game but needs science defs. Up next - geiger counter! That should round out the early science parts... I think. Maybe. I'm not really worried about having too many; I'd rather try and represent some of the breadth of scientific instrumentation and leave it to the player to adjust their science return value. Besides, if I put enough in you won't be able to put all the parts on a single probe like in stock haha.

What about OPM defs. I love Outer planets and it's the best for the casual player (regular, non-ro/rss).

What about OPM defs. I love Outer planets and it's the best for the casual player (regular, non-ro/rss).

I'll worry about one thing at a time. The experiments don't even have sciencedefs for the vanilla system. (At the first kopernicus defs I'd write would probably be New Horizons as I usually play with that). Sciencedefs are fun but I'm not very good at writing flavortext. :)

EDIT: @Venom can you send an FBX instead?

Edited by CobaltWolf

Well there are a few science experiments that could be very intresting,

A geigen counter would be really intresting, on the other hand you could do something intresting, like a gas expansion experiment.

That you send out a cloud of gas to test how it reacts to space, something like a claw with a balloon in the middle. You could animate the cloud

in the cfg there is this:

MODULE

{

name = ModuleAnimateGeneric

animationName = Deploy

startEventGUIName = Deploy

endEventGUIName = Close

actionGUIName = Toggle Cover

}

maybe you can use this, this is from the goo

Edited by 129828

Couldn't figure out how to record a gif so... uh, here. Yes, Venom's Mass Spectrometer is on the craft. No, I have not written an experiment for it. No, it is not animated yet. :)

Well there are a few science experiments that could be very intresting,

A geiger counter would be really intresting, on the other hand you could do something intresting, like a gas expansion experiment.

That you send out a cloud of gas to test how it reacts to space, something like a claw with a balloon in the middle. You could animate the cloud

in the cfg there is this:

MODULE

{

name = ModuleAnimateGeneric

animationName = Deploy

startEventGUIName = Deploy

endEventGUIName = Close

actionGUIName = Toggle Cover

}

maybe you can use this, this is from the goo

For something complicated like that I might need DMagic's animation plugin. I'd have to see what I can do. The Vega balloon probes are really cool and I'd like to do something like that at some point.

Edited by CobaltWolf