[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

46 minutes ago, Abstract223 said:

I'm having trouble with your .937 meter docking ports. I'm not getting a connection I press them together I'm lining it up correctly. I have the same problem with the apollo docking port. And yes I'm connecting an active port to a passive port

You have to retract the ports once they are in place to get a proper dock.

5 hours ago, Pappystein said:

I've seen broken shrouds as well, though not on the pad, with BDB and non-BDB parts. I haven't investigated the cause.

I usually reduce the thrust on my second stage Castor 120 and see the heat indicator show up at the end of the burn so the engine's own heat combined with drogue chutes hanging off the side could certainly put you in the splody parts range. A different thrust curve might help. A spent Castor 120 casing is only $650. I'm guessing the kongressmen pushing this recovery program happen to be from the districts that manufacture the chutes and heatshields.

The tail first descent is because the part models were not centered. The CoM of the 120 is in the bottom third.

Can't really discuss payloads without knowing the rescale in use for context. There's some data here that's fairly up to date. 1x is what it is, there's wide variation there.

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Pappystein why are you letting your Agena stay nekked

fetch.php?cache=&w=900&h=506&tok=ae98ac&

Cause I am using a LGM-118A MX missile to launch my satellites... not an MX Derived rocket with extra parts! :P

But thanks to that very nice picture, Now I want to fly THAT...  SOOOOO......

• PART REQUEST:   2 position Decoupler attaching to each end of the CASTOR-120 rocket.
  • PART REQUEST:  CASTOR-120 nosecone with divergent thrust motor (separatron)
  • PART REQUEST:  1.5m cylinder to 0.9375 truncated cone, with a 1.875m or 2.5m max dia Fairing starting at the point the Cylinder turns into a cone. <- This would be cool for REAL not as a Joke!

J/K     :D:sticktongue::cool:

3 hours ago, Jso said:

I've seen broken shrouds as well, though not on the pad, with BDB and non-BDB parts. I haven't investigated the cause.

I usually reduce the thrust on my second stage Castor 120 and see the heat indicator show up at the end of the burn so the engine's own heat combined with drogue chutes hanging off the side could certainly put you in the splody parts range. A different thrust curve might help. A spent Castor 120 casing is only $650. I'm guessing the kongressmen pushing this recovery program happen to be from the districts that manufacture the chutes and heatshields.

The tail first descent is because the part models were not centered. The CoM of the 120 is in the bottom third.

Can't really discuss payloads without knowing the rescale in use for context. There's some data here that's fairly up to date. 1x is what it is, there's wide variation there.

I am using a Stock BDB install on Stock Scale SS  (Straight Stock on my baby laptop and Galileo SS on my Gaming rig.)   The only non stock parts to BDB affect the fuel tanks for Hypergolic engines (Titan II, Agena, Able, Delta, Ablestar etc) and the fact that I am using my own rename file and MM cloning some parts for alternate versions (Star-37FMV and Star-48BV with Gimbal  added/altered for example.)

The member of Kerbal Parliament who demanded recovery was worried about stages falling on his constituents heads....   Since they all live in the Volcano just north of KSP in the Galileo SS version of the game.    My add on boosters fall right into that volcano on separation for a northern launch.   The demand is all Rockets either be 100% recoverable or plan on going out of business.....   We are trying to keep funds at the KSP.   The last year has only seen enough income to cover the cost of fuel... not new Rocket parts :(    I have had 3 Thor-Delta rockets 95% recovered.  Lost 1 fin (overheat), and all the Payload fairings only.    The goal of this career is for me to explore the entire Galileo system without using either HyperEdit or any of DMagic's Contract reward Modifier or similar contract "cheats."    Since I have never fully explored stock in this fashion...  Fun times ahead :)

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

1.5m cylinder to 0.9375 truncated cone, with a 1.875m or 2.5m max dia Fairing starting at the point the Cylinder turns into a cone. <- This would be cool for REAL not as a Joke!

boat tails and reversed interstages would be a nice addition

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Pappystein why are you letting your Agena stay nekked

fetch.php?cache=&w=900&h=506&tok=ae98ac&

That inspired this design

4 hours ago, Pappystein said:

PART REQUEST:  CASTOR-120 nosecone with divergent thrust motor (separatron)

Look in the Titan parts for a 1.5m nosecone.

Edited by Jso

Was playing around in my early career and found a good alternative to the atlas for the first orbital missions too.. at about the fraction of the cost... The Mercury Castor :P 

0VtU4zI.png

can perform the same results, at about 1/3 the cost.. not bad for only 6,700.00... although the TWR at burnout is about 4.2~ @ peak Ap of 75-86km and even it out with coinciding the burn time with my time to apoapsis (TWR is about .92 at ignition, so its a nice ride to the end)

1 minute ago, optimusjamie said:

Is it just me, or does the Saturn V in this mod have way too much DV, even with the full payload?

The parts in BDB are balanced and scaled against the stock parts. Unfortunately, due to KSP's tiny solar system, that means that the rockets you build will be more powerful than their real world counterparts. For realistic balance, use a 2x or 3x system rescale mod, such as KScale2

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Gemini textures are uploaded as a WIP to Github. Hurray.

Looks good, I almost expect that hatch to open. The parachute texture seems out of place between the RCS and the docking port. I like the panels on the RCS better than the docking port, it's more subtle.

On 4/16/2017 at 8:41 PM, Jso said:

Disappearing and displacing (!) shrouds are a stock bug, it should be somewhere in the bug tracker. It's... unpleasant.

NecroBones' mods seem to attract the bug quite reliably for me, but it's been confirmed (in the bug reports) on pure stock installs.

Edited by ModZero

2 hours ago, Jso said:

Looks good, I almost expect that hatch to open. The parachute texture seems out of place between the RCS and the docking port. I like the panels on the RCS better than the docking port, it's more subtle.

I think I forgot to do the parachute module haha. And yeah, I'll try and change that. The docking port was done at a different time so I probably had my brush at a higher opacity.

20 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Gemini textures are uploaded as a WIP to Github. Hurray.

Son of a ...Slap!  and I had JUST downloaded the master copy yesterday....  Downloading AGAIN :)

Seriously please keep up the great work this mod is fast and quick becoming my favorite mod to make Rockets out of!

1 hour ago, Mattgearhead said:

Maybe I missed it, but were the SIV-B APS units changed from being RCS blocks and monoprop engines to just RCS blocks?

Yes, that changed happened a while back. Useful to avoid running your monoprop dry.

36 minutes ago, Teobald said:

Hi! O'm trying to build the Atlas II in my career mode but I can't select the Isor engine (centaur engine), it says it's depricated. :( Btw, is there a RD-180 engine for the Atlas III?

Keep up the good work! Love this mod!

As I recall Atlas III is getting made just not any time soon.

On 4/20/2017 at 6:01 PM, Teobald said:

Hi! O'm trying to build the Atlas II in my career mode but I can't select the Isor engine (centaur engine), it says it's depricated. :( Btw, is there a RD-180 engine for the Atlas III?

Keep up the good work! Love this mod!

The RD 180 exist just search atlas v because its meant for the atlas V, i dont know if atlas 3 and 5 engines are diffrent

@CobaltWolf, do you know that KVV is updated for 1.2?(i wish you updated the manual)

forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/152430-121-kvv-kronal-vessel-viewer-exploded-ship-view/

Edited by DiscoveryKSP