[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

51 minutes ago, lovec1990 said:

-how do you mount parachutes on kane 11 command module?

There is an additional part that attaches to the top of the pod and allows parachutes to be added in 3-way symmetry - search PX-3 and you should find it.

51 minutes ago, lovec1990 said:

-how do you build saturn rocket your manuals are good for stages but i have issues with upper part where lander and orbiter are?

saturn_v_3rd_stage.jpg

Overview

• Kane Launch Escape System
  • Kane Docking probe
  • Parachute adapter (and parachutes
  • Command Module (Kane 11)
  • Kane Heatshield
  • Kane 2.5m Decoupler
  • Kane Service Module (big one - Kane 11)
  • Service Module propulsion system (also big one - Kane 11 SE-60)
  • Lunar module adapter (which holds the LM (Sina)) has a node to attach to the Service Module engine
  • S-IVB
  • S-II
  • S-1C
  • Profit?

LM (within LMA)

• Sina Docking drogue (DDM6)
  • Sina Ascent stage
  • Sina Ascent stage engine
  • Sina Descent stage
  • Sina Descent stage engine
  • Lunar module adapter

Any questions?

Edited by TheRedTom
Added LES

18 minutes ago, lovec1990 said:

^^Thanks it worked im launching first build saturn.

one question isnt saturn overbuild for  KSP?

BDB is intentionally balanced against stock parts so as not to be intentionally underpowered. Stock parts (and therefore BDB) are balanced for 2-3x solar systems so I would suggest using something like Sigma dimensions if you want the best experience.

(I tried to find where Cobalt said as much but turned up Jack)

9 minutes ago, lovec1990 said:

i found a issue. i keep losing kane 11 docking probe after use and discard Kane Launch Escape System any ideas why

Make sure the LES is attached to the Node hidden inside the Kane Command pod and you should be fine. Also make sure you're not triggering any other decouplers when you stage the LES.

A normal mission should go

Launch

• S1-C Engine ignition -> Burnout
  • S1-C Retrorocket ignition and S1-C Decoupler staging
  • SII Skirt Ullage motors fire
  • SII Engines Ignition
  • Stage LES
  • SII Skirt burnout and stage
  • SII Burnout, SII Conical decoupler stage (includes Retrorockets)
  • SIVB Ullage motors fire
  • SIV Engine Ignition -> Parking orbit
  • SIV Engine Ignition -> Trans-munar injection

Pre-Mün

• Stage adapter
  • Flip round and dock with Sina
  • Stage adapter again
  • Orbit mun using Kane engine
  • Decouple
  • Land using Sina descent engine
  • Profit?

Post-Mün

• Stage Sina Ascent stage
  • Orbit and rendezvous
  • Undock and burn retrograde
  • Aerobrake and land
  • Crack open a cold one with the boys

Sorry I haven't been participating much, today is more busy/stressful than usual!

1 hour ago, lovec1990 said:

^^Thanks it worked im launching first build saturn.

one question isnt saturn overbuild for  KSP?

42 minutes ago, TheRedTom said:

BDB is intentionally balanced against stock parts so as not to be intentionally underpowered. Stock parts (and therefore BDB) are balanced for 2-3x solar systems so I would suggest using something like Sigma dimensions if you want the best experience.

The parts are balanced against the stock parts - engines have comparable thrusts, weights, ISPs. Tanks use the same dry mass and fuel amount ratios for a given tank volume, etc. The problem is that, as an easy way to think about it, the rockets are at 2/3 scale while the solar system is at 1/3 (not exactly but...). So rather than nerf the rockets to the system (making them very underpowered compared to stock parts and other mods) we keep them consistent with everything else, and let the user balance as they see fit. I think a lot of people prefer how OP the lifters are, I personally don't but the issue is somewhat outside of our pay grade. :)

20 minutes ago, TheRedTom said:

Make sure the LES is attached to the Node hidden inside the Kane Command pod and you should be fine. Also make sure you're not triggering any other decouplers when you stage the LES.

Small correction - the LES attaches directly to the docking module, the node is up inside the protective cover. There is no secret node. @lovec1990 make sure you're not staging the parachute mount decoupler, that's for jettisoning the docking module.

^^thanks i figured it out i was decoupling parachute mount. well my first mission ended with loss of lander and crew, but command module with one crew member returned i kinda came too hot for landing not used too this lander started too brake too late.

Well i used mechjeb for help but it turns out when you only have command module and lander attached mechjeb cannot control it but whole rocket worked fine.

5 hours ago, lovec1990 said:

hi, 

i just installed this mode but i have a issues:

-how do you mount parachutes on kane 11 command module?

-how do you build saturn rocket your manuals are good for stages but i have issues with upper part where lander and orbiter are?

Welcome to BDB! I'm the guy in charge of the kerbalx.com craft repository, which will be able to answer both of your questions. If you download the Apollo CSM+LEM craft (https://kerbalx.com/minepagan/Apollo-CSM+LEM) you will be able to see how the entire Apollo spacecraft is assembled inside its interstage adapter. If you remove the LES tower, you will also be able to see the top of the Command Module, and view how the parachutes are attatched to the mount on it's nose.

If you have any more questions about any of the craft, I'd be happy to help!

EDIT: Sorry I was a little late to the party, but I still wanna help!

Edited by minepagan

16 hours ago, minepagan said:

Welcome to BDB! I'm the guy in charge of the kerbalx.com craft repository, which will be able to answer both of your questions. If you download the Apollo CSM+LEM craft (https://kerbalx.com/minepagan/Apollo-CSM+LEM) you will be able to see how the entire Apollo spacecraft is assembled inside its interstage adapter. If you remove the LES tower, you will also be able to see the top of the Command Module, and view how the parachutes are attatched to the mount on it's nose.

If you have any more questions about any of the craft, I'd be happy to help!

EDIT: Sorry I was a little late to the party, but I still wanna help!

thank you for offer at time you posted i already was testing the fully build saturn V

18 minutes ago, lovec1990 said:

thank you for offer at time you posted i already was testing the fully build saturn V

Yeah, I'd noticed, what I hadn't noticed at the time (because I was on mobile) was that there was another page full of responses to you...

3 hours ago, Rory Yammomoto said:
I did something that is probably cool.

Very cool, but I think the idea of redocking multiple times during the burn is not... viable. :P Similar proposals either would just keep the tankage the whole burn (and thus require that the lander be stacked underneath the orbiter) or entire stages burned serially (such as the real life S-IVC proposal)

300px-Sivc.png

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Very cool, but I think the idea of redocking multiple times during the burn is not... viable. :P Similar proposals either would just keep the tankage the whole burn (and thus require that the lander be stacked underneath the orbiter) or entire stages burned serially (such as the real life S-IVC proposal)

300px-Sivc.png

Well, I didn't. I went around a full orbit after re-docking.
You have just given me an Idea for the next mission... Project Satan Sagan is go.

So I was not the only one to do so but several people asked @CobaltWolf how hard it would be to shorten the Saturn's mighty J-2 Hydrolox engine to make the proposed Sea Level variant.       The only real changes Cobaltwolf had to implement were minor modeling resizes and not a whole new model/texture which can take DAYS to do when he has NOTHING ELSE to do.  

You have already seen Cobaltwolf's singular picture of his Saturn II INT-18 rocket...   It flew nicely and looked pretty....  Well I decided I needed to pay my screenshot tax again.   I did a test with two similar size/mass station modules with the Saturn-II INT-18 vs the Atlas-V aided by 5x GEM46 rockets.

Mods involved are B9 Procedural wings, SSTU and BDB (primarily)   SSTU provided a couple engines and the station core parts (I love the Russian DOS type parts for some reason...)   The bulk of the Rocket was BDB to the core... Including the experimental and un-supported S-IVC engine mount.

The goal was to recover SRMs, Stage 1 and Stage 2....    Forgot to put chutes on stage 1....   And stage 2 (S-IVC) had a critical part failure on landing at 4.1m/s in the ocean.....   This seems to be common with BDB parts that are rescaled (should this be put in the bug tracker?)

The Saturn II had enough Delta V to park the DOS station core in a perfectly circular and perfectly adjusted 0 degrees of inclination orbit at 1 million meters...   Enough delta V was left in the S-IVC stage that I could have almost landed it without chutes at KSP....  But I didn't try to as the plan all along was a water landing....

The Muo-V, even after giving it a larger Centaur G or T upper stage and 5x GEM-46 could only reach 640km..... And no chance of recovering the 2nd stage due to almost 0 delta V at the end of the orbital burn.

Edited by Pappystein
Results.

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

...[t]he Saturn II had enough Delta V to park the DOS station core in a perfectly circular and perfectly adjusted 0 degrees of inclination orbit at 1 million meters...   Enough delta V was left in the S-IVC stage that I could have almost landed it without chutes at KSP....  But I didn't try to as the plan all along was a water landing....

The Muo-V, even after giving it a larger Centaur G or T upper stage and 5x GEM-46 could only reach 640km..... And no chance of recovering the 2nd stage due to almost 0 delta V at the end of the orbital burn.

Scale of planet? I mean, we need to know, since Kopernicus is working for 1.3.

Got frustrated trying to work on part of the Skylab texture, decided to throw it in game. I'm committed to making sure it is finished some time in the near future - of course, ATM still needs to finish being modeled... What does everyone think? There's still some rough parts of the texture. Anyone wanna take a whack at identifying what still needs work?

20 hours ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

Scale of planet? I mean, we need to know, since Kopernicus is working for 1.3.

Until the mighty @Galileo Planet mod is working it is purely a stock system.   I played around with Sigma Dimensions a bit and could not orbit most of the BDB rockets in a 2.5x system.   Delta II could only orbit a .1 ton  (100kg) object into LKO.)   I am currently using Sandbox to build my lifters so I can just focus on payloads once Galileo Planet pack is back up and at full steam.

Too be clear I COULD have orbited the station out further I had the Delta V for a Trans Lunar Injection and possibly a circulation burn at either Mun or Minimus.   I had a feeling the Muo/Atlas V would not be able to so I stopped at a million meters altitude....   I may even play around and make a GSO station....   Identical launch profiles any time I need to lift something to the station.

17 hours ago, IronCretin said:

My latest BDB launch vehicle:

Winner for Most unique way to launch an Apollo Mk2 capsule into space using only Saturn parts!

:cool:

17 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Got frustrated trying to work on part of the Skylab texture, decided to throw it in game. I'm committed to making sure it is finished some time in the near future - of course, ATM still needs to finish being modeled... What does everyone think? There's still some rough parts of the texture. Anyone wanna take a whack at identifying what still needs work?

1. Thanks for not making the Telescope mount physically part of the model.  I assume that is one of the parts you will work on in the future?
  2. Base model looks pretty good.   No Gemini door however :(. I am kidding of course
  3. You didn't use a Saturn II INT-18 to launch it?   :D

I found a logical flaw.

When only Sigma Binary is installed, but not Sigma Dimensions, the
GameData\Bluedog_DB\Compatibility\Rescale\BlueSmurff.cfg
is doing this check when it finds the folder "Sigma":

@BDBRESCALECONFIG:NEEDS[Sigma]:FOR[zzzBluedog_DB_0]
{
	@systemScale = #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
}

The problem is, it also tries to reads out the value from Sigma Dimensions ...

This gives an error in MM patching during game start and so no MM cache is written.

21 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

I found a logical flaw.

When only Sigma Binary is installed, but not Sigma Dimensions, the
GameData\Bluedog_DB\Compatibility\Rescale\BlueSmurff.cfg
is doing this check when it finds the folder "Sigma":

@BDBRESCALECONFIG:NEEDS[Sigma]:FOR[zzzBluedog_DB_0]
{
	@systemScale = #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
}

The problem is, it also tries to reads out the value from Sigma Dimensions ...

This gives an error in MM patching during game start and so no MM cache is written.

I just put up PR #322 which changes it to NEEDS:[SigmaDimensions] to fix this problem.