[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

31 minutes ago, AndreZero said:

I've got a couple of (what I hope are) silly questions about some of the SPICA/Gemini parts.

The Gemini/Agena ports are gendered. You can't dock Gemini to Gemini, only Gemini to Agena.

If you've got the cap surface attached somehow you won't get the decouple node option, and it will get in the way of docking. Just leave the cap off while you work out docking it.

With and without the cap. The node is pretty obvious. Try building it from scratch.

Glc2SBl.png

59 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Can you post some pictures of your issues?

Sure, I'll post pics of the docking problem later but here are some images of my construction issues.

Spoiler

Here i'm trying to put the nosecone on top of the docking adapter.  There is not visible node on the docking adapter to connect to

GOuK2Hc.jpg

When I get close to the docking adapter, the nosecone flips upside down

KWpPnay.jpg

I try flipping it over and attaching it but it doesn't align properly

Cn3owL7.jpg

And when I launch, I don't get the "decouple node option"

3uiDx9V.jpg

compared to the pre-assembled craft file I got from KerbalX

zTISDSU.jpg

20 minutes ago, Jso said:

The Gemini/Agena ports are gendered. You can't dock Gemini to Gemini, only Gemini to Agena.

If you've got the cap surface attached somehow you won't get the decouple node option, and it will get in the way of docking. Just leave the cap off while you work out docking it.

With and without the cap. The node is pretty obvious. Try building it from scratch.

Glc2SBl.png

I don't get that node (see images above)  Is it possible I have something installed that is removing it?

Edited by AndreZero

And I just tried docking two things on the surface with the gemini docking adapter and the agena... and it worked fine.  I must be doing something wrong when I dock in space.  I'll try it again later (I reverted my previous save since the gemini knocked my agena out of control).

Thanks for the help!

11 minutes ago, AndreZero said:

I don't get that node (see images above)  Is it possible I have something installed that is removing it?

Try a clean install and see what happens. That Max Capture/Acquire Roll Angle in the popup menu isn't stock so something is installing itself in there. If you want to upload a ksp.log and GameData\ModuleManager.ConfigCache somewhere (not in a post, use dropbox or something) we might be able to narrow it down before telling you to start uninstalling mods till it works again.

8 minutes ago, IronCretin said:

TweakableEverything removes the node, iirc.

Yeah, that looks like the likely culprit. I don't use it, is this just user error or is TweakableEverything doing something it shouldn't? I don't see how removing nodes is useful.

31 minutes ago, IronCretin said:

I think it's some interaction with the code that adds nodes to deployable ports?

It's definitely TweakableEverything. I have no clue how to correct the behavior. I think @linuxgurugamer is maintaing that.

14 minutes ago, shaboi said:

Is it just me or does the Saturn SLA Lunar module adapter not line up with the service module for apollo?  it doesnt fit flush 

Pics:

Spoiler

M53vxFn.png

RFoyMeq.png

3g3qDeR.png

wXlwToq.png

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Is the end of the capsule a docking port that needs to be deployed first?  The node will be there when you deploy the docking port.

I have had the same problem with all docking nodes that have a "deploy something" option, and essentially: if you have Tweakable everything, and there is any option with a docking port (like a soft docking ring, or in this case an alignment pin) try activating it in the VAB editor, and at least for me the node then reappears. Once you have attached to it, you can then safely "de-deploy" again. Essentially I think I just said the same as @linuxgurugamer.

Thanks for the quick reply Jso.  

By default the parts aren't lining up for some reason.  with tweakscale I can get them down to size properly and line them up.  was it supposed to be like this or is there some error with how my mods are working.  

Pics:

Spoiler

First picture is default 16C7922C3C144D1875F8DE0EDA39E2D612157CFB

Spoiler

Second is the stage adapter resized with tweakscale 5D56CC49761AB5A1724AEA2D59187DFB97D238AA

Edited by shaboi
made post smaller with spoilers

2 hours ago, AndreZero said:

And I just tried docking two things on the surface with the gemini docking adapter and the agena... and it worked fine.  I must be doing something wrong when I dock in space.  I'll try it again later (I reverted my previous save since the gemini knocked my agena out of control).

Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, Jso said:

It's definitely TweakableEverything. I have no clue how to correct the behavior. I think @linuxgurugamer is maintaing that.

It is the problem and I do know how...

Go into \GameData\TweakableEverything\Plugins\

Delete TweakableDockingNode.dll.

Problem solved.  This .dll file gives almost nothing you want to adjust making mostly uneeded and it can cause quirky problems with non-stock docking ports, especially gendered ports and others with deployable stuff as mentioned above.  Remove it.  All the rest of TweakableEverything works fine and removing that single .dll will not cause a problem.

Edited by rasta013

2 hours ago, IronCretin said:

TweakableEverything removes the node, iirc.

42 minutes ago, plausse said:

I have had the same problem with all docking nodes that have a "deploy something" option, and essentially: if you have Tweakable everything, and there is any option with a docking port (like a soft docking ring, or in this case an alignment pin) try activating it in the VAB editor, and at least for me the node then reappears. Once you have attached to it, you can then safely "de-deploy" again. Essentially I think I just said the same as @linuxgurugamer.

I don't see any "deploy something" type options other than the indexer, which doesn't replace the node.  Removing TweakableEverything does restore the node so that is the problem.   I will give rasta013's suggestion of deleting that DLL a try.

As to my actual docking problem, it looks like it was a construction error.  I put a fairing base right under the Agena docking adapter and for some reason the opening of the adapter was half-filled with fairing base support structures.  I redesigned my craft to omit that fairing base and now I can dock!

Thanks again for all the help!

4 hours ago, AndreZero said:

I've got a couple of (what I hope are) silly questions about some of the SPICA/Gemini parts.

How do I attached the areodynamic nosecone on top of the docking adapter?  There isn't a visible node on top of the docking adapter so the nosecone never "clicks" into place.  When I try my best to put it in the right spot, I don't get the option to decouple node to remove it.  For now I'm resorting to copy/pasting the entire assembly from the craft I downloaded from KerbalX.

How do you use the gemini docking port?  I tried docking two of them together but they never seem to capture.  I also tried docking one with the agena adapter but those also failed to capture.  I did extend the indexer and that helped with alignment but the docking craft just pushes the other craft around.  Is there a part I'm missing in this configuration?  Or something else I need to turn on to allow docking?

Thanks

The issue with being unable to attatch anything to the DP is due to tweakable everything IIRC, if you can remove the "tweakable docking port" or whatever module it works fine.

I do know when it comes to actual docking it must be between a gemini & an agena port, idk what is causing the problem. I do have a feeling it will be solved when you fix the 1st problem.

If not, at least each failed docking still adds 5% reliability.

EDIT: I forgot pages were a thing. Again.

Edited by minepagan

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Is the end of the capsule a docking port that needs to be deployed first?  The node will be there when you deploy the docking port.

The part has an animation, the indexing key in this case, but there's no association between it and the docking port other than being on the same part. The port should be operable regardless of the animation's state. Note the deployAnimationController property is not set on the port.

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDockingNode
		referenceAttachNode = top
		nodeType = gemini	
		acquireForce = 0.75
		acquireTorque = 1
		gendered = true
		genderFemale = false
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
		animationName = Gemini_Port_A_Deploy
		actionGUIName = Toggle Indexing Key
		startEventGUIName = Deploy Indexing Key
		endEventGUIName = Retract Indexing Key
	}

2 hours ago, shaboi said:

By default the parts aren't lining up for some reason.  with tweakscale I can get them down to size properly and line them up.  was it supposed to be like this or is there some error with how my mods are working.  

Pics:

You're using the Saturn rescale from extras. We're still waiting on @CobaltWolf to give us a 4.25m/2.5m SLA that will work with that.

1 hour ago, minepagan said:

The issue with being unable to attatch anything to the DP is due to tweakable everything IIRC, if you can remove the "tweakable docking port" or whatever module it works fine.

We can yank the TE module out of there easy enough, I just don't want to do that if TE is doing something useful here - the user did install it after all. I'm unclear what it's doing or trying to do that's helpful.

2 hours ago, Jso said:

The part has an animation, the indexing key in this case, but there's no association between it and the docking port other than being on the same part. The port should be operable regardless of the animation's state. Note the deployAnimationController property is not set on the port.

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDockingNode
		referenceAttachNode = top
		nodeType = gemini	
		acquireForce = 0.75
		acquireTorque = 1
		gendered = true
		genderFemale = false
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
		animationName = Gemini_Port_A_Deploy
		actionGUIName = Toggle Indexing Key
		startEventGUIName = Deploy Indexing Key
		endEventGUIName = Retract Indexing Key
	}

The way the mod is set up, if there is an animation assocated with a docking port/node, then it assumes the animation needs to be deployed before docking can occur.

I don't have time right now to dig, but I'll see if I can look at the code tomorrow and see what might be going on

11 hours ago, AndreZero said:

I don't see any "deploy something" type options other than the indexer, which doesn't replace the node.  Removing TweakableEverything does restore the node so that is the problem.   I will give rasta013's suggestion of deleting that DLL a try.

As to my actual docking problem, it looks like it was a construction error.  I put a fairing base right under the Agena docking adapter and for some reason the opening of the adapter was half-filled with fairing base support structures.  I redesigned my craft to omit that fairing base and now I can dock!

Thanks again for all the help!

The indexer IS the deploy action.

To summarize:  If there is ANY animation attached to a docking port, then Tweakable Everything assumes that it needs to be activated BEFORE the node is available.

I just downloaded and tested the this mod to be sure it's working properly.

See this video for it in action:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym8dufv3fvqi6st/VidTweakableEvryWorking.flv?dl=0

11 hours ago, Jso said:

The part has an animation, the indexing key in this case, but there's no association between it and the docking port other than being on the same part

Ummm, that IS the association  They are on the same part.

This is what the Tweakable Everything  does for the docking ports:

• Docking Port Decouple Staging Toggle
  • Docking Port Ejection Force Slider
  • Docking Port "Magnet" Force Slider
  • Docking Port "Magnet" Torque Slider
  • Docking Port Re-engage Distance Slider
  • Docking Port Shield Toggle
  • Docking port "Control from here" now available for use in action groups.

You are running into the shield toggle.

Alright, an update for Skylab is available on Github thanks to @Daelkyr. The parts should no longer require WildBlueTools to work, since the functionality has been moved to compatibility patches. @Jso has been working on adding another function to the BDB.dll mini-plugin to allow us to recreate the solar panel mirroring (which makes it so both fixed panels point the same direction) but I believe it might currently be bugged where the visual model switches but the direction that receives the power does not. The mesh switching for some aspects of the main Skylab station module (window covers, the crew tunnel that goes through the instrument unit) should be working as well.

41 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Alright, an update for Skylab is available on Github thanks to @Daelkyr. The parts should no longer require WildBlueTools to work, since the functionality has been moved to compatibility patches. @Jso has been working on adding another function to the BDB.dll mini-plugin to allow us to recreate the solar panel mirroring (which makes it so both fixed panels point the same direction) but I believe it might currently be bugged where the visual model switches but the direction that receives the power does not. The mesh switching for some aspects of the main Skylab station module (window covers, the crew tunnel that goes through the instrument unit) should be working as well.

Perfect Timing!  I was JUST about to start a new Career with the latest BDB.  Downloading now!

PS @CobaltWolf  Persuant to our earlier Thor Discussions I found a site with some good photos and remarks for you (and useful to anyone who like the History of the Thor/Delta Family

http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/thorh.html

There are some good structural pictures for the Fat Tank Delta (Able-star) but still no good picture of the Cold Jet RCS for Delta and Fat Delta.

Edited by Pappystein

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Perfect Timing!  I was JUST about to start a new Career with the latest BDB.  Downloading now!

PS @CobaltWolf  Persuant to our earlier Thor Discussions I found a site with some good photos and remarks for you (and useful to anyone who like the History of the Thor/Delta Family

http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/thorh.html

There are some good structural pictures for the Fat Tank Delta (Able-star) but still no good picture of the Cold Jet RCS for Delta and Fat Delta.

This isn't something you should be using with career, I basically needed confirmation that the Github development update was successful. :)

And yes, Ed Kyle is a fantastic source. I'm in love with the pages there for the never flown variants of Atlas and Titan. He actually just concluded the Thor Booster Variants thread on nasaspaceflight last week, so hopefully we'll start seeing the Never Flown Thor Variants thread soon!

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40733

EDIT: Also, further work on Skylab is going to be delayed somewhat. I've been spurred into doing a pass on the existing parts, starting with Apollo and the LEM. Stay tuned, I'd like to put on a stream tonight if I get home at a reasonable hour.

Edited by CobaltWolf